• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power hungry programs!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

garwain

Wow, when i looked at EM this morning when I go to the office, it was predicting wu completion around 11:30. Went through my regular routing of getting coffee, and whatnot, sorting though papers, opening the programs I need, and it was still predicting the same time. Now, after 4 hours of working on the machine (mostly SQL queries, and web page tweeks, and a few compiles of various programs in Delphi, I'm looking at completing the WU closer to 12:30.

Delphi has only stolen 7 minutes and some odd seconds compiling. The rest of the time, it's sitting there acting like a bloated version of notepad, Visual Interdev has nothing for CPU time, same for Query Analyser... That leaves the real CPU thief to be @#$%^&* IE. unfortionatly, I shut the browser down too often to get a real idea of the amount ot time it steals. Too bad Mozilla can't break through to the outside world, and the company site is designed for IE ONLY :(

I ran my systems 24/7 and usually forget or don't bother closing IE, even if I'm not doing anything on the system I still get better times when IE is shut/minimized than when the window is open, same is about IRC, I think that if you know u'r gonna leave the PC for a while, always remember to minimize/close all the running windows, and just be left with the desktop

I'm glad you brought this up. I noticed the other night that even light browsing can make a difference(15-20secs a frame). I remember seeing a thread about how to extract the IE junk and running Opera. I might have to look into it tonight.

Back