• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power issues with 2 x geforce 295gtx with EVO Galaxy 1250w supply!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frozenreads

Registered
Very strange issue -

If I use 2 x geforce 295gtx and a Soundblaster XFI card (in the PCI x 1 slot), the computer fails to boot past BIOS (continually resetting). After much messing around I was able to actually get into the BIOS at this point, and noticed on the voltage monitor, the BIOS Bat 3.3v was fluctuating between 3.1 and 3.3v which suggests why the BIOS has issues. All the other rails inlcuding 3.3.v are solid and ok.

If I remove the soundcard from the PCI x 1 slot and use the Bloodrage supplied soundcard in its own mobo socket I can run the machine absolutely fine, and SLI with no issues whatsover.

I can also run any other graphics card in the second slot with a lower power requirement.

On a hunch I ran just the second geforce 295gtx on a second power supply and everything ran fine which does suggest an issue with my EVO MAX power supply.

I have heard reports though that early revisions of the Bloodrage mobo along with other mobos do occasionally have issues with 1250w power supplies and it seems really odd that the 3.3v batt voltage would be the only thing affected if the power supply had an issue with power draw on 2 x 295gtx.

Also surely 2 x geforce 295gtx running in full SLI would be drawing more power than 2 x idle 295gtx and soundcard at boot up?

Its really odd and driving me crazy, the EVO Galaxy has about 104amps on the rail so has plenty, plenty power, why is my BIOS Batt suffering? lol, any thoughts?

Very strange issue -

If I use 2 x geforce 295gtx and a Soundblaster XFI card (in the PCI x 1 slot), the computer fails to boot past BIOS (continually resetting). After much messing around I was able to actually get into the BIOS at this point, and noticed on the voltage monitor, the BIOS Bat 3.3v was fluctuating between 3.1 and 3.3v which suggests why the BIOS has issues. All the other rails inlcuding 3.3.v are solid and ok.

If I remove the soundcard from the PCI x 1 slot and use the Bloodrage supplied soundcard in its own mobo socket I can run the machine absolutely fine, and SLI with no issues whatsover.

I can also run any other graphics card in the second slot with a lower power requirement.

On a hunch I ran just the second geforce 295gtx on a second power supply and everything ran fine which does suggest an issue with my EVO MAX power supply.

I have heard reports though that early revisions of the Bloodrage mobo along with other mobos do occasionally have issues with 1250w power supplies and it seems really odd that the 3.3v batt voltage would be the only thing affected if the power supply had an issue with power draw on 2 x 295gtx.

Also surely 2 x geforce 295gtx running in full SLI would be drawing more power than 2 x idle 295gtx and soundcard at boot up?

Its really odd and driving me crazy, the EVO Galaxy has about 104amps on the rail so has plenty, plenty power, why is my BIOS Batt suffering? lol, any thoughts?

Check your CMOS battery with a DMM and don't rely on your BIOS readings. By your own elimination, it's either Soundblaster or a motherboard conflict or both. Is your BIOS up to date? It wouldn't be the first time that Soundblasters have system conflicts.

Back