• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supplies for SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

not seeing it anywhere in the sticky's or anywhere else so i have to ask the question.

If you do SLI does that mean you have to double the Amp requirement on your PSU for your 12v rails?

Example ...If you do a EVGA 560 Ti in SLI and there spec sheet says ...
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps.)

Does that mean that i need a 60 amp PSU? If not then what or how to figure that part?

Ive read and understand everything about the wattage and how to figure it but one thing stuck in my head was the amp rating and want to clarify this point since i've always ran a single card in the past.

SLI just means you'll have GPUs eating twice as much.
If you have a GTX670 with a TDP of 170w and add a second one, now it's 340w. (28.33a)
The spec sheet with rail requirements is a whole system CYA kind of thing. A 560Ti doesn't use anything close to 30a.
The important number is TDP, that's how much the GPU will actually use in a 100% graphics load situation, at worst.
Divide that by 12 if you want to know the real amps.

Back