• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilraul

Registered
Hi I was hoping someone here could help me out with this confusing situation.

My system specs are
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6
GF8100 M2+ SE
Corsair CM2X1024A-6400 x 2, so 2GB but only 1.72 is usable as the rest is for the graphics.

I usually leave my bios settings on default but I thought I'd try and slightly overclock my cpu so I increased CPU Frequency from 200 to 210 and left the ram settings alone, after this I ran prime95, from this I discovered my computer is only stable with the default speed of 2.6 and my ram speed can only be set to ddr 400, if I set it to 533,667 or 800 prime95 will come back with "FATAL ERROR: ROUNDING WAS 0.5" I've tried increasing the cpu voltage from default 1.325 to 1.350 and memory voltage from default 1.95 to 2.00 but still the same errors. Also tried changing the ram timing from the default 5-5-5-18 2T.

This means even if all the settings in bios as default (memory speed default is ddr2 800) prime95 fails and it only passes if i set the ram speed to ddr2 400 with 2.6 clock speed. Every other setting fails within 10mins of running prime95.

cpu-z reports 200mhz at ddr2 400 settings in bios.

ddr2 800 setting reports 374 in cpu-z.

I've done the memtest86 which I left running over night, I've tested each stick as well and no errors occured.

The CPU temps usually range between 37-45.

What can be the reason for this?

Thanks.

Hi I was hoping someone here could help me out with this confusing situation.

My system specs are
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6
GF8100 M2+ SE
Corsair CM2X1024A-6400 x 2, so 2GB but only 1.72 is usable as the rest is for the graphics.

I usually leave my bios settings on default but I thought I'd try and slightly overclock my cpu so I increased CPU Frequency from 200 to 210 and left the ram settings alone, after this I ran prime95, from this I discovered my computer is only stable with the default speed of 2.6 and my ram speed can only be set to ddr 400, if I set it to 533,667 or 800 prime95 will come back with "FATAL ERROR: ROUNDING WAS 0.5" I've tried increasing the cpu voltage from default 1.325 to 1.350 and memory voltage from default 1.95 to 2.00 but still the same errors. Also tried changing the ram timing from the default 5-5-5-18 2T.

This means even if all the settings in bios as default (memory speed default is ddr2 800) prime95 fails and it only passes if i set the ram speed to ddr2 400 with 2.6 clock speed. Every other setting fails within 10mins of running prime95.

cpu-z reports 200mhz at ddr2 400 settings in bios.

ddr2 800 setting reports 374 in cpu-z.

I've done the memtest86 which I left running over night, I've tested each stick as well and no errors occured.

The CPU temps usually range between 37-45.

What can be the reason for this?

Thanks.

With the exception of your case, Prime95 usually comes back with "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5 Expected less than 0.4" on AMD systems, because of needing more Vcore. If this is a pre-2009 motherboard, bad caps may be your cause, especially if the RAM is at stock speeds!-> http://badcaps.net

well i've gone up to 1.375 which is the max there after I can use the CPU Over-Voltage option.

Its the Brisbane one.

Brisbane may be pretty much identical. I dunno ATM.

And I'm surprised that the BIOS even gives you a hard time for wanting more than 1.375V, because AMD's Vcore spec is more lenient than Intel's! IIRC, 1.40V is still within AMD's specs. (In Intel land, 1.4 may damage the chip)

Last edited:
hmm I just lowered the HT link to 4x and prime95 has gone onto test 2, usually fails at test1.

ok..i'll get a screenshot up tomorrow, I just read on another thread about lowering the HT Link multiplier and I tried it and so far prime95 is running without any problems.

Brisbane may be pretty much identical. I dunno ATM.

And I'm surprised that the BIOS even gives you a hard time for wanting more than 1.375V, because AMD's Vcore spec is more lenient than Intel's! IIRC, 1.40V is still within AMD's specs. (In Intel land, 1.4 may damage the chip)

Looks like your Brisbane is like AMD's version of Conroe (and like the E21xx series) (1MB of L2) and thus, don't be surprised if you need 1.45 V to Prime95 beyond 2 hours. But it's looking like it shouldn't have heat issues like the Core i7s do, lol.

well I'm using the stock heatsink and fan but the case has an extra 2 fans on the side panel.

one thing I don't understand is, in bios I've set the vcore to 1.375 but in the bios status page it says the cpu voltage is 1.424, is that right?

I'm getting the error "error:illegal sumout" in prime95.

My experience means an unstable core and you're gonna need more Vcore and if still the same error, I'm afraid you have a bad batch.

(My old schooler T'bred 2000+ AIUCB did this because of a hard wall and cannot do more than about 2045 Mhz. IIRC, it started doing that at 2055 Mhz)
(And the trend was that back in the socket A days, the AIUCB stepping sux)

I'll do some more testing tomorrow, it seems fine at 2800 Mhz but max 200 Mhz in cpu-z for memory.

problem is the ram speed, it doesn't like anything over 200 ddr2, I think the sticks are at fault, I did do the memtest86 test but....

:welcome: to OCF!

Well, you seem to have a good grasp of the OC settings in BIOS so I'll just jump right in here. Set these manually:

HTRef: 200
CPU: 13X (Do you have a BE???)
vCore: 1.40v
HT Link: 4X (might be labeled 800 MHz)
RAM: 333 (might be 667)
vDIMM: 1.85
Timings: 5-5-5-18 (did you manually set the timings before?)

I'm guessing on the RAM here - I really need a screen shot of the CPU-Z SPD tab to know for sure.

Run OCCT or Prime95+CoreTemp to see what the load core temps are.

I'd hate to recommend anything else before seing the SPD tab and knowing what those load core temps are with those settings. :)

PS
Here's some light reading - cheat sheet in post #26 if the technical stuff gets to be too much. ;)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555058

Looks like your Brisbane is like AMD's version of Conroe (and like the E21xx series) (1MB of L2) and thus, don't be surprised if you need 1.45 V to Prime95 beyond 2 hours. But it's looking like it shouldn't have heat issues like the Core i7s do, lol.
Funny, my 5000+ managed 3.0 GHz at 1.40v and ran SETI 24/7 more than two years before I retired it.

May as well compare apples to oranges - it's closer than Intel and AMD ...

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply, I set all the settings to what you suggested but couldn't lower the vDIMM as the lowest I can go is 1.95v in my bios. I don't have the BE version. The ram timing is default to what you suggested.

Prime95 failed on test2 on both cores with the max temp at 52. I've attached my SPD tab details.

Attachments

• SPD.jpg
    SPD.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 244
going down to ddr2 400 (pc3200) allows prime95 to pass most tests with the vcore at 1.350.

Back