• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good idea. As it is it could be the RAM, board, or CPU - no way to really know, though it is odd that several hours of MemTest86+ doesn't show any errors.

The more recent versions of OCCT have a LinX option, if that's what you need to sustain your illusions of stability. :)

This is the stuff I decided after being burned by assuming that running Gens with a Genesis game for hours
was enough to test stability with my T-Bird 900@ 1050, LOL.

Last edited:
I changed the chipset over-voltage to the max which was +0.150v which runs the chipset voltage at 1.26v which ain't much different.

That was a shot in the dark. I seem to remember an old MOBO that had a simple boost adjustment but if I were fire it up, I would almost bet it was mislabeled in the BIOS as NB and not chipset.
I've seen BIOS's with NB to represent the NB chipset - plenty of them before K10 came out. Before then there was only the Crossbar - no way to adjust the voltage to that ... ;)

Just an update, I've set my cpu freq to 218 and that overclocks the cpu to 2.8, the ram is at 400 ddr2 which is the lowest but its stable when using OCCT cpu and linpack, until I can't get hold of another ram stick, I'll keep these settings.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Hi, I thought I'd update this thread for some more help!

I got 2 new ram sticks Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5, so 4GB in total.

I can't run it at 1066mhz because my board only supports 1066mhz with a am2+ cpu so thats fine, max I can run mine at is 800 ddr2.

It seemed like my old sticks were at fault as these sticks pass prime95 with all stock settings. (2.6ghz 800 ddr2)

I'm now looking at overclocking but I can't get the cpu clock over 2.91 (cpu freq 224), if I go over 224 cpu freq, prime95 fails within 5 mins.

My current settings are

Ram timing 5-5-5-15 v2.1 (stock settings but manually set)
ddr2 667 & 800 (passes prime95 with the cpu freq at 224)
HT link 4x
vcore 1.35
cpu temp max load was 37 (quite impressed with that) tho I did clean the fans out.
CPU Multiplier 13x

I've set the cpu freq to 226 (my board only allows cpu freq to go up by 2) and ran prime95 with the vcore at 1.35 and 1.375 but it fails on both.

What else can I do to up the cpu stock speeds with the system been stable, I ideal want the cpu freq at 232 as this sets the clock speed to 3.0ghz.

Would lowering the ht link to 3x help? or can I lower the CPU Multiplier? Also have to remember that the ram is running below the speeds it can handle.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Lowering you CPU multi I think is only going to add to the problem that you are having, where you are limited on the IMC to 800mhz and as you push up the FSB you are overclocking the RAM. With everything set as it is now have you tried lowering you RAM divider and pushing up the FSB to see if it is the limiting factor? This would tell you pretty fast if it is or isn't. I know on my 6000+ I have to drop it down in order to push up my FSB and I still hit a wall at 261FSB no matter what I do but that is a limitation of my chipset (nvidia 570).

Well I didn't lower the ram below 667 as thats the lowest I wanted to keep it at.

i'll try adding more vcore, can I lower the memory voltage from 2.1 (stock setting at 1066) to a lower voltage as I'm not running my ram at 1066 and rather at 667.

Since you're not posting CPU-Z shots I'm not sure where your RAM is actually running. The CPU-Z SPD tab has the specs for your RAM so all you need to do is look at the next highest speed than what you're running. For example, if you're running 350 MHz then you should be using the spec for 400 MHz.

Back