• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Prime95 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:chair: erm.... Sorry, i should have thought to ask myself. 63c on the cores is to hot.

Can you see what the socket temp is? I suspect its into the 70's

Back your Vcore down to 1.35v there should be no reason to have to run the Vcore 1.43v @ 3.8Ghz

This is how i get mine to run stable at 3.7Ghz-

Vcore 1.32v / FSB 200Mhz / x18.5 / RAM default timings - 1.55v - 1333Mhz.

Nothing more.... :)

Last edited:

The socket temp appears to be cooler than the core temps. Here is a screen shot I just made.

3.8GHz1.432350V.PNG

I'll let it run ovenight, if possible, and use your settings tomorrow.

Technically, no. But you may find it gives you no problem in actual day to day computing.

This. My current PC has been at 4.2 no problem for a while, and I run a lot of code that keeps 4 cores 100% 24/7, plus gaming. Not a single problem.

I put prime 95 on for 30 minutes and BSOD. Do I care? no!

As a way of quickly deducing that your PC can run normal applications with stability, p95 should be very good. But p95 failing is not sufficient to conclude the PC cannot run normal applications with stability. It's just a tool for overclocking not a prerequisite for stability.

Yeah, so it seems.

I have never seen that before, and i can't explain it....... :confused:

A more knowledgeable member here might.

I would still work to get your core temps down tho, ideally they should not go over 55c. But 59c is not catastrophic on a P-95 torture test, your CPU would never run with such intensity under everyday use.

Anyway..... i hear BF3 calling me, so i'm gone for a while.

Last edited:
The 3.8GHz I achieved for 5 hours under Prime95 would be usable for me as I don't stress my computer when I do work. I have no fear it will BSOD on me while on an Excel run or in the middle of writing a report in Word.

But I like the challenge of trying to achieve 100% stability, even if it means enduring 24 hours of an error-free Prime95 run at temps of 64C/65C.

If I try to maintain core temps at below 55C the most I'll see is 3.4GHz/3.5GHz. That's no fun, lol. Unless, of course, I get a bigger case and better cooling.

Your core temps seem too high to me at that level of overclock with that cooler. How's your case ventilation?

Your core temps seem too high to me at that level of overclock with that cooler. How's your case ventilation?

My case was not built for overclocking. It is only 7.5" wide and has room for just 2 12cm case fans - 1 in front and 1 in rear. So ventilation is not good.

To overcome this I have removed one of the case side panel leaving the inside fully exposed. Now, how's that for ventilation. I did a P95 run this morning at 3.7GHz for 50 minutes and the max temp reached was 53C. Yesterday it was 63C.

In future I'll remove the panel when fooling around with overclocking or doing an overnight P95 run. I'll put back the panel when I'm just using the computer normally. The core temps rarely go over 40C under normal use when fully enclosed.

I tried the settings mentioned but the computer would BSOD on boot. So I used the following settings instead.

CPU Ratio..........18.5
CPU Voltage..........1.404V
CPU-NB Voltage..........1.220446V
DRAM Voltage..........1.605V
NB Voltage..........Auto

The computer did a successful 50-min run of P95 with max core temp of 53C. I'm going to try for x19 now.

Thanks guys.

Neo, when are you going to get a real case? Taking the side panel off is really ghetto.

Neo, when are you going to get a real case? Taking the side panel off is really ghetto.

hahaha...you are absolutely right Trents. But I have a problem. The computer is in my bedroom near my bed and it is on 24/7. For some reason it is absolutely the quietest computer I've ever encountered. When I switch off the lights and turn off the TV at night I can hardly hear the computer or even know it's there. If I get a proper case it will be like unleashing a typhoon in the room (noise-wise). At least there will be this whirring sound. All other computers I've come across has this sound to an extent. But not mine. And the missus will not have that.

For the time being I'll just have to endure being this ghetto guy. Or consider getting a water cooling system. I hear they are silent.

I've finally settled at 3.8GHz with the multiplier at 19. With the case open I can run P95 for 3 hours without error but the core temp will reach 60C and with Vcore flirting with 1.6V. Seeing this I did not attempt an overnight P95 run. I've put back the side panel and am using the computer normally with these settings. When working now the core temp only reaches a max of 38C and idles at 33C even when fully enclosed. As long as I don't attempt a P95 run it should be okay.

I think I should be able to go over 4GHz but I will need to get a real case and some proper cooling first. For the time being I'm happy with what I've got.

Thanks guys for all the help and valuable advice.

I think anything over 1.5V is bad. But it only happens when P95 is running. Under normal use the max I reach is 1.48V and 1.43V when idle. In BIOS the Vcore is set at 1.43V. As long as I don't turn on P95 I should be fine.

Back