• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

probelm here, help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WannaBNerd

I just got a x-connect power supply, the ends of the wires for it are a bit bigger and i cant get the 4 pin 12v in bcuz the mounting clip for my heatsink (xp-90) is in the way...what should i do?!

hmmm maybe try cutting away some of the excess plastic with an exacto knife?
watch out that, dont cut off too much plastic, and expose the wires... cause that's bad.. you dont want exposed wires in your computer

Is it keeping you from getting to it or is it just that the heatsink is covering a lot of the connector? Have you tried pulling off the heatsink, placing in the 12v connector, then putting the hsf back on?

i havnt tried taking it off puting it on and then puting heat sink back on but even still, i dont think that will work bcuz its not that its not flexing enuf, its x-connects ends r big.

I would try that first, just to see, if it doesn't work, I would start hacking away at the top of the plastic piece of the 12v connector. Make sure that you don't expose the bare wire, if you have to, get either heatshrink or electrical tape and protect the wires.

On a side note....I also have an X-connect installed in my machine......They are a nice heavy duty supply no doubt about that, and the book says they are like 70% efficient, which seems decent. They are heavy, look great. But they are a pain to work with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The motherboard cable is huge!!! I have to sit there and tinker with the side of my case just to get the side back on because of the big connector ends(I think that is what it is). Also, if you have to work on the inside of the computer, you jiggle things around too much, and the connectors come out of the supply, and so then you have to fuss with the thing in a dark case trying to find out what way the connector goes back, or if the connectors are too loose in the socket, you don't get the power. My opinion of the X-connect, good idea, nice PSU, but pains to work with.

Wanna B, one way to solve your problem, and maybe dress up the inside of your case....why don't you try some zip ties? Get some and tie some of that wiring together and pull the wires back away from stuff. That's what my case is like inside. Just used some plain old white ones. They actually don't look bad with the neons and stuff. Of course, you could go with colored ones or neon colored if you wanted. But maybe pull the PSU out, and put your HSF in, then put the PSU back in. Or pull the wires out of the supply so you can work, then plug it all back in, then secure things out of the way so that you interfere with airflow as little as possible, whether you do it with zip ties or by whatever means. Some suggestions. I know though, those X-connects can be a pain. Hope something here helps.

Back