• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Antec PSU's & Neo2 Plat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
erasmus372 said:
Even if your TP380 doesn't have this problem with the neo2, it may be hard pressed to keep your system stable and running at full load (or even idle).

deception`` has recommended everyone run a PSU with at least 26A max(I think it was) on the 12v rail, and while that number may be argued its basis is sound - your cpu, video card, and somewhat the motherboard will all be relying on your 12v rail for stability.

I said 24A at least, but 30A is preferred. Anyhow, it's true that a good unit will fix all this. :thup:

deception``

Valk said:
Ah jesus. I have a 380 watt TP in this box and neo2 on the way... does this actully like kill it? or just make it act stupid? I dont mind buying another psu for this application but if i do there goes my water cooling T_T. AH jeez. $551.25 shipped. i think ill play it safe <_<

Sorry, but I doubt that your Antec is up to the task of running your proposed A64 system. While it is true that your power needs won't be as dire as someone like Sentential who runs a more power-hungry card, you're still gonna need a better unit to keep your system stable.

deception``

well im gonna pick up a antec 550 and evade this problem entirely. unless i can find a 480 watt that has a similarly equiped 12v. im really glad i came across this thread though... really glad.

Valk said:
well im gonna pick up a antec 550 and evade this problem entirely. unless i can find a 480 watt that has a similarly equiped 12v. im really glad i came across this thread though... really glad.
Be sure you get a true control... you WILL need to re-tune the PSU if you buy an Antec, that is assured. If you dont your rails will be dog-****.

Most guys on TP550s have their 12v+ dip into the low 11.70s

I dont think i have a problem with my antec 400w: 3.25 on the 3.3v. 4.95 on the 5v and 11.90 on the 12v. I have seen it dip below these slightly but i thought they looked ok

Edit. whoops, that's a 380w true power silent psu. 24a on the 12v

Last edited:
geko said:
I dont think i have a problem with my antec 400w: 3.25 on the 3.3v. 4.95 on the 5v and 11.90 on the 12v. I have seen it dip below these slightly but i thought they looked ok
Yours looks fine. Most of the problems were with the older True Powers since the majorty of the ampage lied on the 3.3 and 5v rails

My first K8N Neo2 Platinum had issues with powering up. After I RMA'd it, the second one works rock solid with my older True550 Antec supply. No sign of the +12V sagging under load, so I'm not sure about that allegation. I was ready to toss my trusy True550 for one of those power stream units, but figured I owed the Antec the benefit of a doubt and got rid of the original motherboard instead. It all worked out okay in the end.

Hoot

how are the ocz power streams? i was looking at possibly getting their 420 watt or 520 watt. decent price. about what 12va should i be looking for? would 26a on the 12 v be acceptable?
I dont need mad power for peripherals. i have one hard drive and 9/10 times i start my computer it doesnt have an optical drive in it.

Last edited:
Valk said:
how are the ocz power streams? i was looking at possibly getting their 420 watt or 520 watt. decent price. about what 12va should i be looking for? would 26a on the 12 v be acceptable?
I dont need mad power for peripherals. i have one hard drive and 9/10 times i start my computer it doesnt have an optical drive in it.

The modstream I ordered is 28A on the 12v rail. I hope it plays nice with my MSI K8N Neo 2. The modular PSU's are pretty cool. Im looking forward to trying out my first.

yea. i almost wanted to get one of those mod streams except i ordered some sleeving with my mobo/cpu that i want to use. the modstreams come presleeved in this grey/blue stuff and trying to remove that and resleeve is just a pain.
Apparently the powerstream 420 watt is 30a on the 12 v, so hopefully this will do the job for me. i didnt really have $167 to spend on a psu this time around so it sure better ha ha. ah well, all i need now is a 6800gt and im set...

I don't remember where I got this information from, it's either the compatibility booklet or the MSI official website, I can confirm for sure when i get my hands on my booklet from home, but many of the test PSUs that MSI used for the NEO2 as compatibility were 330W, or 300W supplies. Perhaps there are actually power supplies of other brands which are up for the task.

Got my brand new TP430 from antec today, 26A on the 12v now and it actually is now overvolting that rail at idle! (this is on my old system) Small other change they put the sata power connectors both on the same line now, away from the legacy ones.

Get my neo2 tomorrow, will see how it works!

Just wanted to post an update here, I've gotten my replacement Antec TP430 and my Neo2 - everything is running super! Got these numbers from newest corecenter:

3.3v = 3.31v
5.0v = 5.02v
12.0v = 11.96-12.02v

Playing games or idle the only one that moves is the 12v rail, which only differs as I stated above.

I run: 3500+ winchester @ stock, neo2, 512mb ram atm, cdrw, dvdrom, floppy, 120g sata, geforce 5600 @ stock, audigy 2, 56k modem, 2x120mm fans, 1 cold cathode, led zalman, and the little dlink bracket

i just traded in my asus a8v for the neo2. And has been successful from the install process. The memory is working great no lock ups or anthing like the asus. Ok I am using the tt550 my voltages under 100% cpu are, witht the control panel conneted
3.3=3.22
+5=5.03
+12=11.85-12.02 mostly 11.97
i work at a computer store and im finally happy this works...PC CLUB represent...if it works let it ride...enermax 485s are nice.....used like 5 of them in a64-939 rigs...just build a sli-asus...some guy bought one for his mom for email...he came back to the store 5 times and finally brought it down...he onld had 4 risers and 3 skrews in the mb...hes like can you get it to post....lol charged him to rebuild it...krazy....im keepin my tc 550 unless it proves flawed...then its on

I run an Antec true550, but after reading this thread I think I need to replace it... I see why some of my voltages are the way they are, and why I have not been able to get a decent OC on my x800 XT PE as well as hit the higher FSB and stay stable. see attached pics...
Anyone want to make good suggestion on a PSU? OCZ maybe?

Attachments

• idle.jpg
    idle.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 82
  • highload.jpg
    highload.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 82
I use a True550 and the voltages are rock stable. That is, when you measure them using a real digital voltmeter as opposed to the embedded voltage monitoring functions on the motherboard, which are as reliable as the weather in May! I can't believe people don't get this. The voltage monitoring features on motherboards are relative indicators at best. None of the voltages read on my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum are right. Some are off by as much as .15V when checked with a Fluke 189 Digital Multimeter. If you have such low regard for your Antec True550, please give me a heads up just before you put it in the classifieds. ;)

Hoot

Hoot said:
when you measure them using a real digital voltmeter as opposed to the embedded voltage monitoring functions on the motherboard
Hoot

good idea... if it displays the volts anything like it does the temps (for which I had to use a temp probe to get my real temps!) I had best set after it with my multimeter!

The Antec bug strikes again.

I'm down.

System was running 100% stable for a week today, walk in and hit the power button...nothing happens, then the fans make a partial rotation and stop. Disconnect PSU, flip surge strip, flip hard off on PSU, unplug 20 pin and 12v from motherboard for awhile. Try again, partial rotation, stops, won't do anything else.

POS! !@#$ ANTEC

Bump up for new info in first post.

I've ordered a new Fortron Blue Storm 500w, and will have to RMA my Neo2 back to monarch tomorrow :cry: I tried everything I could think of to bring it back from the funk, but the funk is strong with that one...

Crap, looks like I'm gonna have to get a new PSU then. I saw my rails on the new rig are low (neo2 and TP430 20A +12v). It's sitting at 12.40v, which seems a bit odd, but the 5v is more like 4v when dipping to 4.76v and the 3.3v rail is horrible at 3.15v.

What's easy on budgets? the fortron 500w units? Any other good models work well with the neo2 and are a decent price?

Back