• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Antec PSU's & Neo2 Plat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Fortron Blue Storm series is often recommended here as a good cost per value ~ probably one of the cheaper "brand name" quality psu's. Otherwise you are looking at spending a chunk for a Enermax, OCZ, PC P&C.....or take your chances with one of those many "other" brands! I found a Superflower/TTGI PLUG-N psu that was pretty snazy while looking around, 550w with huge 3.3,5,&12v's, modular design, sleeved cables, atx2.0, 140mm fan and active PFC

Linky

Looks like I'm in the same boat. I just swapped everything over to another case. When I go to power on nothing happens. I have to clear the CMOS before it will fire up. Guesss I'll have to spend some money.

Lucky you can get it going again with a cmos clearing, my neo2 won't do anything so its possible my Antec damaged the board :(

I should mention some think that with symptoms like I have the board may be in suspend/sleep mode! I am almost inclined to believe this, when I try to power on the system & power lights on my case just flash on and off forever like its hibernating? I tried doing some power-on techniques someone suggested for waking from suspend, but didn't have any affect.

Sentential said:
Be sure you get a true control... you WILL need to re-tune the PSU if you buy an Antec, that is assured. If you dont your rails will be dog-****.

Most guys on TP550s have their 12v+ dip into the low 11.70s

I gotta differ with you on this one. I'm running a True550 with my Neo2 Platinum and it is rock stable. It took two motherboards to get a good one. The first Neo2 Platinum did have power stuttering problems, but the RMA's replacement one does not. Thats on a system with a DVD-RW, CD-RW, 2) 10k RPM SATA drives, one PATA drive and a power hungry Radeon 9800XT, not to mention OC'ing the CPU and RAM at higher than default voltages.

The +12V coming out of the Antec Tru550 is rock steady at 12.05V measured Accurately! That is to say with a Fluke Digital Multimeter right at the power supply. If you are using the embedded voltage monitoring chip on the motherboard to measure voltages, you are relying upon an inexact and inaccurate device to determine your voltages. At best, it serves as a relative indicator for voltages, but Not a precise instrument. If you are experiencing a voltage drop across your ATX connector and auxillary 12V connector, do not blame the power supply on that. Connector pins, by their nature, pose a resistive junction in all systems and slight voltage drops can be expected.

Trust me, it's my job to know these things. Now, if you are simply running a power supply that does not have enough starch in its shorts for the job of running you particular systems load, it's not the manufacturers fault. You just need a more powerful model.

All I can say is that the Antec True550 is more than adequate for the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and just about any compliment of add-ons you can fit in the average case. Based upon my experience with my first Neo2 Platinum, I'd advise pointing the finger of fault at it as opposed to the PSU if the PSU is known to be a good performer with other motherboards with similar loading effects.

Hoot

according the the core center I'm getting 12.02 on my 12v. I'm still having to reset my cmos in order for me to power up my system.

Now my question is I'm getting good on my 12v is my problem the motherboard or is it still my tp550. I am powering 2 mcp600 pumps, 3 120mm fans, 3 80mm fans, and whats in my sig. I'm using the 1.36b mod bios

Like many often advise - you really cannot trust the voltage readings software gives you. Only way to truly see what you're pulling is with the multimeter on the wire.

Is there any issues with the Smartpower series? Im hoping to use my Antec SL400 in this system. Im using it now and its np, i have a ton of stuff in my case. 4 fans, 2HDs, 2 opticals, Live drive for Audigy2, 1xCCFL. Im just going to be swapping my A8V for a Neo2.

A fix.... so far

So I bought my wife a K8N NEO2 Plat off of ebay and a 3000+OEM from Newegg so she could have a nice system like mine. I gutted the 480 TrueBlue from her Intel for the AMD. Hooked it all up. Nadda. What would happen is that I'd press the power button and nothing would happen - except that the blue LED feet I put on her case would blink on for a half-a sec and then off again.

So I got around to hunting on the web and found out about the Antec issue. I took an Antec 350Watt True Power from yet another even smaller rig I've got and plugged the 20 pin into the NEO2 and the 4 pin Mobo square plug as well. However, I didn't unhook any of the Molex cables from the 480 TrueBlue - although I did unplug the 120Volt input for the 480 Watt. Clicked on the 350Watt True Power and my wife's rig comes to life. The feet turn on, the the exhaust fan and intakes for the case, and the 480 True Blue's fans come on and the led! I'm like stunned and just realising what I've done and so I cut off the 350Watt True Power (wich has blue internal LEDs too even though it's not called a True Blue for some reason. :D)

So once again in my computer building career I think that I've fried my rig. So I unhook the 350Watt True Power and plug the 480 True Blue back in (20 pin and 4 pin and the 120Volt of course.) Now it works! Don't know why. Don't understand it. But it works. :attn:

Hope it keeps going for ya man :) I'm still waiting on a replacement neo2 and I know I will never again shop at monarch.com no matter what stupid deals they have! No cross-ship RMA's = no business!

I use a ghetto powmax 400 W power supply. And everytime in the morning (or I let it set for long time) when I turn it on nothing posts. All fans spin and such but no monitor, no beeps, no anything. Then I turn if off. Then I go to the back of my power supply and toggle the power off and back on. Then it runs fine on next bootup. Is this in anyway maybe related?
(sorry if its completly off subject)

TweakGames said:
I use a ghetto powmax 400 W power supply. And everytime in the morning (or I let it set for long time) when I turn it on nothing posts. All fans spin and such but no monitor, no beeps, no anything. Then I turn if off. Then I go to the back of my power supply and toggle the power off and back on. Then it runs fine on next bootup. Is this in anyway maybe related?
(sorry if its completly off subject)

Dude, check out this PSU guide. It's a link I got on AMD forums from a guy there called Glassmaster:

PSU guide

Now don't read it like the Gospel (lol) but it does have some good points. I've been through the crappy PSU think myself, and although it's really hard to say that there are definitely good and BAD PSUs, it's very nice to have a guide that at least attempts to quantify the present situation.

Great link, good food for thought. Kinda' confirms the old tenet that you get what you pay for.

Hoot

ok thanks I am reading it. Do you think that the boot up problem is the power supply? Not doing its job? I am a little overclocked so maybe its not strong enough. :rolleyes:

PowMax

Isn't PowMax on the list of PSUs to avoid? Or am I mistaken?

I'd say it's prolly just your PSU's not supplying enough juice or your voltages are off or it's something entirely different and your PSU is great.

No, Powmax is on the list. Go read that thread for more.

I picked up a Ultra PSU at Compussr for 69.99 after rebate. So far its good....my SL400 was hurting with all my stuff I have in my machine. I know this got bad rep cause it was thought that these were made by PowMax. I have the recipt and will return it if i feel its not a good PSU. It does look nice, but looks will not power up my Neo2 when it gets here tomorrow.

Ummm I have an Neo2 FISR 865PE (which, I know, is an Intel board), and also have an Antec Blue480 PSU--which I have recently murdered :rolleyes:

I checked the MSI Intel forums and didn't see any antec + neo2 problems, so I figured I'd ask for an opinion here.

I think that I probably just blew the PSU due to OCing too hard, but I thought maybe it was a combination of OCing and MSI+Antec incompatibility?

So I've got a P4 3.2E which I pushed to 4.0 for a while and was running the Vcore at 1.525 (If I remember right?) And while I'm in the middle of a game of ETF, the computer dies and monitor goes black. Nothing from the power switch when I try flicking it back on.

So I wait a while and unplug it--then I plug it back in and the fans spin up for just a second. Then I let it sit and try again, and something inside the psu actually flared up (like orange fire, not electrical blue)! So, the fool I am, I let it sit overnight, and next day give one last try. And it actually turned on w/ no problem.

So I used it for a while (w/ no OC at all). For about two weeks it has been fine, but just tonight, I was trying to see if I could OC it again and pushed it up to 3.6--bad idea :(

It dies quietly, and then I try plugging it in and again a small fan whir then nothing. I let it sit a while and try one last time... but this time I hear a bang, and then all the fans are running like normal, but I just jerked the plug out, because I have probably already killed or weakened all the components in my rig!

Well, now that you have all heard my embarassing story, I'll ask for some advice!

I'm going to order a new PSU today, and am thinking of the OCZ 520 (which I think I can get for 135 w/ 2 day shipping included).

My system is as follows:
Water Cooling
**crispy**Antec Blue480**crispy**
P4 3.2E
Neo2 FISR 865PE
ATI 9500Pro
160GB 7200RPM
80GB 7200RPM
2x 120GB 7200RPM
DVD ROM
CDRW
Audigy Gamer
IDE expansion card
3Ware Raid Card
Floppy

Thanks for the help and advice!

Oc

That's not embarrassing. You oced your comp and your PSU apparently was defective. Take that baby out of your case, box it up, and send it to Antec cause it's prolly still under warranty (3 year!). They should replace or repair it if it's defective. :D

Omg i hate UPS.....im waiting...been tracking my Neo2 all day. It was on the truck " Out for delivery " since 6am.....its now 4pm and nothing....why must they tease me so? :mad:

Back