• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Black Avenger (v2000b)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jbroad572

Here's what I got so far:
Case: Lian Li PCV2000B
Water Cooling:
-MCP600
-MCW6002-64
-MCW50
-Dual Heatercore
-CoolerMaster 120mm fans
-
Video: BFG 6800GT
CPU: AMD64 3400+ (Clawhammer CG)
Mobo: DFI Lanparty
PSU: Fortron 530

I haven't thought of a name yet, but I'm thinking about "Black Avenger".... sound good?
Anyways, I originally had the V1000B, but because of Blu3 I sold it and bought the V2000B.
front.JPG

V2000Binsude.JPG

V2000B.JPG

I orignally wanted a window just like his, but had the idea 2 make 2 seperate windows and then I actually saw how I wanted to do it on the same post, so I went with that. I was scared to cut it out at first, but figured, wth! If everyone else can do it so can I. I had a cheap dremel and a jigsaw with a 24tpi blade.
My%20Tools.JPG

My first objective was to cut the window out, so to start a whole I used the dremel reject and the reinforced cutting discs. Well, I got just that accomplished and nothing else. The dremel made a weird noise and the disc went flying and here is the end result of that (no more using cheap dremel wannabes).
hole%20with%20dremel.JPG

bent%20bit.JPG

Needless to say after that I put the panel away for the night and put together my new exercise bike
My%20Bike.JPG
:D
So, the next day comes along and I'm like I've already got a hole in the panel, so I can't quit now, so while a friend was over I clamped it all down and put the jig blade in the hole and expected the worse, but to my surprise that was the easiest thing in the world. I absolutely love using a jig and don't want to have to use a dremel to do this kind of work. I was done in about 30 minutes, because I took little breaks to entertain a few friends. Here are a few pics.....
panel%20tape.JPG

panel%20tape%20drawing.JPG

work%20area.JPG

clamped%20down.JPG

At one of these pics, I regretted making them square and wish I would have rounded the corners, but too late now.

Next is the watercooling. I was in the process of leak testing, but I have some nasty stuff in my loop that looks like ..... welll uhhh... look for yourself. Not sure where it came from, but I'm guessing the heatercore. I did buy it used :(.
ick%20in%20my%20WC.JPG

yuckwc.JPG

So, now I need to untape the panel, file down the edges, and continue with my leak test with my WC setup.

I am going to pick up my fans, CCFL lights, right now. I was thinking about doing a blue/white theme in the case. Maybe have 1 color on the top and 1 on the bottom. Not sure yet. Suggestions are welcome.
This is the beginning so far.

Here is the window installed without tape:
Still have to file it all down though.
windowinstalled.JPG

Last edited:
i really really want to know how how you bent the cutting bit attachment do-hickey...

its steel, you must be one strong guy to put that much pressure on it. or it must have been hella hot

Xenocide said:
and...if you didn't cut that bottom window already, id reccomend this setup for the bottom watercooling guts

newlianli_ducts01.jpg
The bottom window????? Surely you aren't talking about the window that you see cut already, right? What are those blowers? How much would something like that cost?

Xenocide said:
i really really want to know how how you bent the cutting bit attachment do-hickey...

its steel, you must be one strong guy to put that much pressure on it. or it must have been hella hot
Your guess is just as good as mine. I think it's just the fact that it's a cheap no name dremel tool. I barely put pressure on it whatsoever, but I am also strong :p

I'm working on having a quad 120mm grill made (thanks to Section8) out of stainless steel (similar to the evo 120.3 grill
airplexevo360_grill.jpg

for the top of the case.
Thinking about it, I think if the grill were black, that'd be nice with some aluminum fans under it or some lit up fans or might just leave it stainless steel. I think either will look very

Hey, that case looks great. :D I have a feeling the end result of your mod will be really nice. The system specs look nice, too. They are very similar to what I will have soon. :)

Well, I've decided to go with white CCFL's in the case. I wanted to originally have both blue and white in the case shining somehow, but the white is just too bright. I also want to have my UV lights somewhere in the case. close to my mobo. I am going to mix my water with Deep blue dye-lite and VW anti-freeze to achieve a darker blue/teal color.
I have 2 white led fans and 1 blue one. I think I might replace my case fans with those and go with some aluminum one for the top of the case. It would look nice under a black grille, don't ya think?
Still brainstorming though.

Here is the panel all filed down.... 3.5 hours later... goodness.
Still not as smooth as I would like it and where I made the whole with the dremel at the very top, it took some of the paint off of the panel as you can see. Got a few other places where could use some touch up paint, but I think I will just leave it be.
DSCN0598.JPG

Tomorrow I will be removing the hard drive racks along the bottom and debating on whether I want to take out the divider plate. I read it is just fine (stability wise) without it.

Thanks for all the compliments so far. I guess not too bad for a very first timer, eh? I know it could be better, but I feel it's going well, for a noob who didn't even know what a jigsaw or dremel did

Last edited:
Added leak testing picture. I will probably be leak testing for awhile. Won't be installing until the case is finished, lol, so it might be a week or so. Plus, I am still waiting for 1/2" barbs for the MCW50 and have to make a shroud.
Leaktesting.JPG

Here are some better pics of the window and the cages have been removed. Still debating on moving the divider. Until, I get an idea of what I can do without it there, I'll leave it there.
hd%20cage%20remov.JPG

side%20panel%20filed.JPG

Lian Li cases are annodized. You can go and get the whole case re-annodized (I plan on getting it done sometime, with the inside, and out of course.)

If I were you, I would make some slots on the back side of the divider (on the back side of the case) so that you can pass cables through more easily.

I think hiding cables will be very easy. I have the divider (that divides the 2 windows to hide some cables and my hd's will be in the 5.2 5 slots. I might add some more slots on the bottom for water cooling tubes though.

nissmo300 said:
You should take out the divider and place the rad on the bottom.
The rad will fit on the bottom perfectly without removing the divider. The more I think about it, I might just keep the heatercore at the bottom instead of mounting it at the top, I have to put something in that big space. Maybe even mount it on the side?? Hmm...

But, I will still have my grill at the top :p .

no offence but i think you should file those edges down a bunch more. that is really gonna make or break the look you are trying to go for especially since your case is black and the edges are silver... if you dont feel like it you could go to auto zone and get some door trim in black and that would work... as for the devider imho i would leave it because of rigidity issues in the case... As for the rad I would still mount it up top so it would be more of a conversation piece. but you are right you could just mount it to the side and have it vent through the window. then just put the humongo grill in the window and make some sort of brace for the fans and the rad.

just my .02

Back