• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Compulsive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, come on. You can't sleeve the front USB connections without vinyl dying the gross beige housing black. It's just not possible.

By the way, what is that mousepad? Is it carbon fiber? And it's friggin huge!

1. I don't have access to vinyl dye, and the case doesn't even have windows, nor can you see beige from the front at all... if I had vinyl dye, I'd probably have done it though

2. mousepad is a Func F30.R textured 17" mousepad - the surface looks like CF a little bit, but its just random black and gray dots across the surface for the optical mouse to read (even though it doesn't really need them)

I absolutely love Lian-Li, I've got a few of them and they amaze me every time I see 'em. Oh and you sir are good at what you do. I'll be sad and happy at the same time when it's over. Happy because you will probably be starting another project.

You've got some great ideas on this case, it'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.

By the way, grab some of the seeds for that money tree and mail them to me please.

started drawing out my first mods on the case:

modding the HDD cage backplate for a 60mm fan that will be on the outside of the case

mod_02.jpg

and cutting out all the 40mm fan grill work on the back of the motherboard tray, as well as adding a third 40mm fan on that peice (all the X's mean that part is getting cut out)

mod_01.jpg

For pimp factor, I would use the curvature given by some of the vents that Lian-Li gives you, instead of cutting it into a right angle use the remaining part of that vent.

It just looks more professional, that's all.

If you have any qualms about cutting up a Lian-Li with a dremel talk to me, I did it on my PC-70, pretty much the same mod.

By the way, don't touch the metal after you've been dremeling it with a tough cutoff wheel at speeds of up to 30k RPMs. Burned the crap out of my finger.

Seven said:
For pimp factor, I would use the curvature given by some of the vents that Lian-Li gives you, instead of cutting it into a right angle use the remaining part of that vent.

It just looks more professional, that's all.

If you have any qualms about cutting up a Lian-Li with a dremel talk to me, I did it on my PC-70, pretty much the same mod.

By the way, don't touch the metal after you've been dremeling it with a tough cutoff wheel at speeds of up to 30k RPMs. Burned the crap out of my finger.

for most modding, especially with aluminum cases, I prefer to use a jigsaw/scoll saw with a fine-tooth bi-metal blade in it... and yeah, I've burnt myself when polishing aluminum with my dremel at the full 35k RPM and a polishing wheel... DAMN it was shiny, but it was burning hot too!

and now I get what you're saying about the rounded corners - good idea!

Last edited:
got the first mod done:

cut it out with a scroll saw:

mod_03.jpg

cut a small tab to allow wires to be routed into the case and put some rubber edge trim around the hole:

mod_04.jpg

just threw a cheapie 60x15mm fan on there from an old PIII machine for mock-up until I get a new panaflow to take its place:

mod_05.jpg

and installed:

mod_06.jpg

Looking good, just make sure that thing isn't rattling around. To me, I'd rather have seen you put some thinner stripping around the edge of the fan, but that's just my opinion.

today I grabbed some smaller edge trim for around the 60mm HDD fan hole that I cut to turn down the ghetto-looking-factor ;)

mod_07.jpg

mod_08.jpg

mod_09.jpg

got some round 5" anodized aluminum handles in from mcmaster today:

mod_10.jpg

mock-up placement before holes were drilled:

mod_11.jpg

holes drilled and handles installed - lookin good!

mod_12.jpg

Seven said:
Finally, handles that actually match a case.

the anodizing on the handles matches the lian-li anodizing EXACTLY - it just looks so badass with the handles on there now :attn:

autolex84 said:
you sure your gonna be able to fit that huge of a heatsink in there?

yup - it should have just enough clearance to be mounted while the mobo tray is inside the case, and the 120mm PSU fan will suck air through it and out the back... or atleast thats my plan right now

Four handles?? Are you filling it with concrete!? Nice choice on the case, I'd like to see someone watercool that little box.

Back