• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Compulsive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this project as well as Omerta are probably going to end up going on hold for a while - I just made the home team at my local paintball field and am getting back into tournament paintball which I'm going to funnel a lot of my cash to right now.

Both projects will definitely be finished (I refuse to sell either case or give up on them), though slowly but surely

Keep your eyes peeled for updates, but don't get angry if not much happens over the course of the next 1-2 months

oh... and I asked my manager if I could take some extra hours in another department, so I'll see if he can work that out and make some good money to try and afford both paintball and my computer projects at the same time :bday: (and x-mas + birthday is coming up soon, so I might get some goods for my projects ;))

I googled for the motherboard model (P5B-VM) and found a decent high-res pic that I cropped and printed

OK - so work has resumed on this project - the PSU (PC P&C 510-SLI) finally came today, so I got started on wire management:

first off, I rarely use the front panel connectors for USB/firewire/audio, so I pulled out the entire unit and replaced it with an aluminum plate that I cut out of an extra Lian Li 5.25" bay cover:

fpmod_01.jpg

then I installed the sunbeam 6-port fan bus, and then started setting up all the fan wires that will go to it:

sbfb_01.jpg

PSU got installed, and then I cut out a section of the bays to allow the PSU wires to pass through and be hidden:

psu_02.jpg

psu_03.jpg

psu_04.jpg

and the back of the case with the PSU installed and vented PCI plates:

psu_01.jpg

ok - concentrating on this project now as a fun rig to screw around with before I rebuild my main rig come spring

got an x800GTO² off the classies, so now I have a video card for it (clocks hella nice on the memory)

then I need a mobo (P5LD2-VM DH), RAM (2x1gb kit of some DDR2-667 or 800), and a CPU (E4300)... then I'm going to use my 2x250gb hitachis in RAID 0 for HDD's in this rig

card is in - its an x800GTO² that will do 570/640 with upgraded cooling, for now its on stock, but I have a x850XT stock heatsink coming for it :)

card_01.jpg

now I still need an E4300, P5L2D-VM DH, and 2x1gb DDR2-667 before its actually up and running (going to be using my 2x250gb Hitachi T7K250 SATA II drives in RAID 0 for it)

got my x850XT stock heatsink in today:

x800gto2_01.jpg

the card minus the old stock heatsink:

x800gto2_02.jpg

the card with the new x850XT heatsink:

x800gto2_03.jpg

hrm... looks like this SFF build is getting much more than I originally expected - Abit will be releasing the Fatal1ty F-I90HD, a Micro-ATX motherboard based on the ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 chipset

link:
http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/mot...hp?pMODEL_NAME=Fatal1ty+F-I90HD&fMTYPE=LGA775

definietly going to be getting one of these boards for it, screw the P5LD2!

3906largefatal1tyfi90hdft3.jpg

edit: if this board is what its made out to be... I might change plans for the processor to an Xeon 3060, then use my x1900xtx for the video card... so tempting!

Last edited:
Yeah the new Abit board is a beast. Been trying to get my hands on one for my mATX setup, but they are hard as hell to come by. The 3 places I looked are sold out as soon as they come in.

Probly be 3-4 weeks before I can get one... shipping to APO(Iraq) kinda sucks haha. BTW, hell of a setup, keep up the good work.

~cheers

Yes, I'm digging up a freakin' ancient thread, but I kept the case in the basement until I managed to find a use for it because every time I saw it I couldn't bring myself to sell the damn thing.

I modded the drive cage assembly to accept full-size graphics cards, and built my little brother a fkn AWESOME micro-atx build in this modded case about a week ago:

computers009.jpg
3-9-2010037.jpg
computer001.jpg

E8400 3.0ghz
XFX MI93007 AS9 mobo
6gb (2x4gb + 2x1gb) Corsair DDR2-800
HD4870 1gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb SATA II
Silverstone 500w PSU
Scythe Shuriken CPU HSF

Last edited:
Very nice work, especially getting that 4870 in there :D Is it noisy with the 3 tiny fans at the back?

Very nice work, especially getting that 4870 in there :D Is it noisy with the 3 tiny fans at the back?

case is dead silent - that's one of the reasons why I paid $15 a piece for little 40x20mm fans that are legitimately quiet

• 80mm Case Fans: 2x Arctic Cooling AF8025 80x25mm (26cfm @ 24dba)

• 60mm Case Fans: 1x Panaflo L1 Ultra Quiet 60mm FBA06T12L (12cfm @ 24dba)

• 40mm Case Fans: 3x Sunon 40x20mm MagLev Fan (KDE1204PKV3) (6cfm @ 18dba)

Last edited:
Back