• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project "Don't Screw This Up"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfather1138

So the name comes from my frame of mind the whole time I was working on it. This was my first shot at water cooling a case so I had the virgin nerves.

I have been running a mildly modded Compaq P4 for about 5 years now, and I was getting sick of it. I didn't have the money to build the system I wanted, so I decided to build the system I have the way I wanted.

The case was given to me, so i decided to play with water cooling, and overclocking. I started by placing some orders that would get my 2.8 p4 off of OEM support.

BioStar P4M60-M4 mobo
Crucial CRUCIAL 2g DDR PC3200 (from friend)
Upgraded from a 6 series GeForce to the BFG 7800GS OC
Ultra 500w PSU (from friend)

Then I started slowly ordering WC parts:

Swiftech Apogee GT
Black Ice 240 rad
1/2" line
Iwaki MD-20rzg-2 (thus the need for the pump box)
Double 5.25 resi (free)
DD Fillport

I did have a Tt block rigged on the GPU, but it just caused too many problems/leaks in the system so I ditched it.

Then I got started designing the pump box, and trying to get the logo ready to cut on my buddies plasma table as a puzzle.

DSC01453.jpg

the box template was also cut on the plasma table, and then folded into place with a sheet metal break. Just a little welding, and some finish work is all it took.

DSC01444.jpg
DSC01445.jpg
DSC01446.jpg

Test fit of the Rad block.

DSC01420.jpg

Back from powder coating and logo glued in place on opaque plexi:

DSC01454.jpg
DSC01455.jpg
DSC01456.jpg

::::I didn't realize there was a pic limit so here is pt.2::::

Getting it all together:

DSC01493.jpg
DSC01497.jpg
DSC01499.jpg
DSC01498.jpg
:::still need to block that bleeding light:::
DSC01501.jpg

Most of the cables are much cleaner now, but I have not taken any pics of it now that I have it up.

As a bonus pic, this is how I had to rig the GPU block:

DSC01449.jpg

I am having HD issues right now, so reboots are a pain. This is keeping me from messing with the CPU much. It is running cold @ 3.15 right now though. I think I still have alot of room to go once I get the HD replaced.

I'm using Speedfan and don't really trust the numbers, but I average about 25-30C, and see numbers well into the teens at idle (that's why I don't trust it).

The 7800 OC'ed pretty well seeing that I ended up with the g70 chip that doesn't OC as easily.

500 core/1450 mem @ abot 45C

I guess that is about it for now. Sorry if this post is a mess, I have several distractions going right now. Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any suggestions for the OC's. I think my next project will be one for the Folding team as I would really like to get involved with that research.

You're kidding right? I mean I'm new here so my sarcasm meter hasn't calibrated to OCF yet. I kinda figured 1/2" ida lines would be more than enough, and they are actually quite thick walled, but the fluid hides it.

Godfather1138 said:
You're kidding right? I mean I'm new here so my sarcasm meter hasn't calibrated to OCF yet. I kinda figured 1/2" ida lines would be more than enough, and they are actually quite thick walled, but the fluid hides it.

I assume he meant the GPU block's tubes. :beer:

Also.. now i look more they do look bigger, its just your pics make things look small P:p

Which I agree with 100%. Thats one of the reasons I just got ****ed and took it out. The adapters needed to get that up to 1/2 just were not worth it.

Thanks for posting this up. I like the look of it.

I always thought it was hard to make a plexi case look good. In that regard you did a great job.

My only critque is the red motherboard. Nothing really to complement that color in the overall. Otherwsie I like it. :thup:

Nice job , I would love to have access to a plasma cuting table . Since I moved acrost teh country I now have so little access to tools . Im slowly getting them back again . ( gotta love pawn shops )

My only critque is the red motherboard.

I agree with that, and have considered painting it. I haven't seen enough painted mobos though so I'm hesitant to jump into it with an unknown outcome.

How loud is it?

Not bad at all actually. The fan on the 7800 is the loudest part. When it fires up everyone down stairs knows it's game time. That little thing sounds almost like a hair dryer so it kinda ticks me off that the WB didn't work.

Danger Den said otherwise. The holes on it are too close together, or so they say (thus my mounting that block sideways). I would love to get it in the loop if possible, but I spent a week calling and emailing people to try and find one that would work.

Godfather1138 said:
I agree with that, and have considered painting it. I haven't seen enough painted mobos though so I'm hesitant to jump into it with an unknown outcome.

Ever think about making a Mobo "cover"?

I saw a decent one somewhere around here not too long ago....

You know, that has never crossed my mind. In fact, I have never seen or heard of one. Please post the link here if you run across it again.

Back