• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: double case/water cooled/built in monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkirby

Well, here is my quest. To attach 2 of the same cases together side by side. Have my rig in the left case, and my water cooling set up in the right case. It will be all black with blue lights. The 2 front covers will be re formed and finised with bondo. The water cool case will have 2 120 mm blue led fans in the 5 1/4 bays for the rad. window in both sides and the top. I would like to have a lcd monitor flip down from the top and come right on front of the 2 cases. this will be a mobile rig of sorts:) it will have wheels.:D

So, how would be the best way to attach the 2 cases together?

And, i saw a thread about black paint, you bake it and stuff, thats the color i want, Flat black, but i cant find the thead. anyone know what im talking about?
Sunday i will be going to check out some cases

depends what u wanna do...if u want permenant connection....weld that sucker! lol but i donno if have those resources...if not...mabe those lock tie thingies? (in the holes for the case doors)

yeah. how permanently do you want them to be connected? you could mount both cases onto a baseplate, cut out the centres of the centre doors and rivet the frames of the doors together, these could then held onto the case(s) the normal way (thumscrews, whatever)

well i dont think i can get a hold of a welder, but i like the base plate idea. When i find some cheap cases ill post a pic.

well why not rivet it together, if you do it right it should be plenty strong enough, plus its easier to use and if you screw up you can drill them out

i think i may do that. Any one know of some cheap CHEAP cases online? they are going to be completly modded so i dont care what they look like. I need 4 5 1/4 bays and 4 internal 3 1/5 bays. and a removable MOBO tray would be sweet. im thinking like $20 a case.

i guess it goes without saying you want them without PSUs, since you're using dual cases are you going to use dual PSUs?

i will beusing 2 psus. The one in the WC case will be used to run all the fans and lights, and maybe the secret mod i have planed..... :D Im still searching for cheap cases!!

but the cases DO NOT need psus, because i have several lying around

Check the cyber deals section, there is a site selling cases for $16 shipped (I have one, it's flimsy, but it's worth the $16 I paid for it).

im pretty sure i found 2 nice cases locally, ill post pics when i buy them :D

my frist idea is this, the 2 cases side by side left for my electronics and the right case is for my water cooling set up. on top witll be an LCD monitor, which will fold down in front of the case. Here is a sketch, and no, i cannot draw to save my life :D lol.

000_0218.jpg

My second idea just came to me. have the 2 cases hinged at the back. when it opens, a lcd monitor attches to the front inside edges of the the cases. when finished or its time to move, its all fold together.

000_0221.jpg

Sorry about the ****ty images... i have a ****ty camera, and a worse hand lol.

and just as i posted it, i wondered how i would run the water lines in the second idea... i think ill stick to the first one:D

Having you lcd in front of your cd drives might be slightly annoying, having to move your monitor every time that you need to insert/remove a cd. Great idea if you dont mind the cd issue.

there will be about 3 inches between the monitir and the cases

Back