• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 342(9) wall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coty0010

Hello guys, I know there are allot of qxxxx (at least 2) topics going on right now, but I to am am having a little trouble. Since Yesterday I've been trying to get passed what I've named the "*** ****** 342 wall".

=========================================================

Okay first of all, I'm going to lay it all down, my stats are in my sig, but I'm going to go deeper. First off I have a very stable overclock at 3ghz (333(9)), I have ran several tests on linpack passing them all, and I have ran prime 95 for 11 hours with no problem (decided to go to bed, lights are to bright to sleep with so I called 11 hours good)...

Alright So my motherboard is an MSI g41-p33 COMBO with 8GB of 1333*(OC) ram support and of course LGA 775 and the box says optimized for core2quad or something like that.

My Processor is of course a q6600 with B stepping and G0 revision.

My CPU cooler is a logisys Deep Cool, not the most performance oriented cooler, however it is much cooler than stock heat sink and deals with my 3ghz overclock better than the stock heatsink dealt with stock frequencies.

My RAM is G.Skill sniper 2x4GB 1600 with latency 9-9-9-24.

MSI GTX 650 2GB OC.

Corsair 650 watt PSU.

Here is BIOS screen shot: [LINK]

The only setting not shown in that pic is spread spectrum enable/disable.

One thing to note! The RAM is listed at 1.352, is highlighted as NOT RECOMENDED, this is because the motherboard is older and doesn't think RAM should run less than 1.5v and be default runs it at 1.6 (This actually killed my xms3 when I powered on!), I have it tuned down to 1.35 and it actually runs better... (no memory errors and doesn't effect stability).

And DRAM settings: [LINK]

A quick linpack run I did to show: [LINK]

=========================================================

I've tried lower ram speed, disabling auto PCI, and allot of other things...

Here is my deli-ma:

• 341(9) semi stable at 1.227v (didn't pass linpack)
  • 342(9) not stable, pushed to 1.275v
  • 343(9) BIOS refuses to POST.

Googled what Spread Spectrum was... Disabled it.

• 341(9) more stable at 1.227v (made it to 5 passes before stopping linpack instead of 3)
  • 342(9) still not stable even when pushed to 1.275v
  • 343(9) BIOS posted! BSOD received the 1~2 second(s) after starting linpack.
  • 344(9) BIOS refuses to POST!

Something can't be right, because I've went up 0.022 volts for just 72Mhz and still not stable??? I've even tried raising NB voltage...

Now I can't remember were all I've been what I've tweaked, I'd just be happy to see 3.1 and stable... For a day anyway... I have a feeling I'd want to press higher just to see were I can go :p

Perhaps I'm tapping my motherboards limits? I found another topic were a guy with my same mobo and a core2duo had the same problem at 342(9), but it appeared he made it passed it (The topic died with him saying thanks, I forgot about that or something of that nature), though there was no clear solution that I hadn't yet tried...

Last edited:
I would set high NB voltage and/or FSB voltage ( can be that VTT voltage as it's called in different way what depends from manufacturer ).
Try 1.4V+ NB/FSB and check if it's running higher. If it does then try to lower both voltages.
G41 boards are not overclocking good but probably any board from 4 series should make at least 400MHz FSB.
Q6600 have sometimes weird FSB walls but I don't think it's as low as ~340MHz.

Well, it looks like 3Ghz is the most I'll achieve with this board. It's definitely the FSB, I dropped the CPU multiplier to 8 and it wouldn't let me achieve over 342(8) = ~2.7Ghz. Unless the FSB voltage is tucked away somewhere...

Upping NB voltage to max (1.39) does nothing...

So looks like I need another board :attn:

^^ +1 , sadly good 775 board are rare nowaday :( Look the adds.

Time for upgrade ? :)

Me? Upgrade? psh, it's not like a $50 dollar Celeron ivy bridge can give my q6600 a run for it's money or anything! :rofl:

Yeah, upgrade is coming, and so is haswel :D Not to concerned about the rumored USB 3.0 sleep bug, because the closest thing my desktop does to sleep is power off the display + hard disk.

For now, there seems to be a good supply of half way decent motherboards on ebay.

Coty0010: Hello I have a thread on here about the msi G41 P33 Can I get your exact settings that you have in bios to overclock...It seems I have tried every thing and I cant get my Q9550 past 2.9 and its 2.8 originally please help If you can...

Can't believe you managed to get that Q6600 stable at such low voltage.

I need 1.31V to keep mine stable at 3GHz, and 1.28V for 2.8GHz. Mine's a G0 with a stock VID of 1.275V if memory serves correctly (I know it's a G0 at the very least).

That must be some kind of golden chip or something.

Back