• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quest for info, i need guidance...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n2

to start with, here's what i'd like to know about.
Servers.

i've thought about which topic to post under...
but i can't determine the best, being networking as it's for one...
general hardware it is such, operating systems i need one, etc..
:D
really what i seek is general info on all aspects. if there is a better topic, please move this. otherwise, further questions will be placed in respective topics.

i have a LAN, and i'd like to add a server to it.
as far as using Linux, i'd really rather not.
so Windows based is the idea.
this would be for LAN access, as well as <hopefully> for FTP use as well...

i'm seeking links to info.
how a server works, to how to set it up and configure.
hardware options, software options.
obviously, i'm not in any direction yet...
so any comparison of different options is Greatly appreciated. :D

thanks to anyone who can offer me some insight.

i dont know what you mean.
i'd like the option to access it from the net, yes.
i have a cable modem, so it can be always on.
basically, that's where the FTP portion comes in.

no, i have a router for my LAN... so it isn't a gateway box i need.

the first post, of the initial question remains.
i seek all info i can get. but let me give one example.

looking at a "Procom" brand CD/DVD server.
it sells for $1,999 base. described as:
"CD server with 10-16 disc capacity (6.4GB) Ethernet $1,999"

if i made CD-R's with my data files... would these CD drives act like HDD's? obviously, i could'nt write data, but for storing it...
seems pretty good. easy enough to swap out a disc when needed. i have several SCSI CD-ROMs here i could use for this.

i don't have much idea what all the uses for a server could be.
but mainly i need an easily accessible space for storage.

for my LAN, and FTP for ppl on the net.

perhaps will use it as a game server also.

n2 said:
no, i have a router for my LAN... so it isn't a gateway box i need.

the first post, of the initial question remains.
i seek all info i can get. but let me give one example.

looking at a "Procom" brand CD/DVD server.
it sells for $1,999 base. described as:
"CD server with 10-16 disc capacity (6.4GB) Ethernet $1,999"

if i made CD-R's with my data files... would these CD drives act like HDD's? obviously, i could'nt write data, but for storing it...
seems pretty good. easy enough to swap out a disc when needed. i have several SCSI CD-ROMs here i could use for this.

i don't have much idea what all the uses for a server could be.
but mainly i need an easily accessible space for storage.

for my LAN, and FTP for ppl on the net.

perhaps will use it as a game server also.
i would say get like a normal computer run linux on it because it will be the easiest to use for a server stable also
and u could do all those things you want to do

A server is just another computer with more RAM, storage space, etc, that is kept in a central location, for ease of maintenaince, back-up, etc.

If I wanted to run a server, then I'd use Linux. It really is the most practical option, cost-wise as well as functionality wise How many OSes that cost $40 can you use for webpage serving, FTP, and everything else you mention on Pentium 1 hardware?... The only thing that comes close is either NT or Win2K server, and I doubt you'll wanna fork out nearly $450(?) for it, or have the funds to build a specific machine to meet the needs of a stable Win NT server.

Personally, I'd buy a refurb'd Pentium 166 box, fill it to its limits with RAM, stick a smallish (~1Gb) hard disk in it for the OS, and a larger one (~8Gb) for the ftp, etc... buy (you get user guides) whatever distro of Linux that takes your fancy (SuSe, is *my* distro of choice) and once configured sit back and relax...

While I can't argue the cost effectiveness and stability of linux, you said that you don't want to go there. I am not using it either: it takes a lot more to get it set up than I want to put into it.

Windows NT 4.0 is an option, as is Win2k. It also sounds like all you need is fairly basic server stuff, so NT Workstation or Win2K Pro would do the job. These oses will cost more and may have more stability problems( I have had VERY few problems folks!) but they will be easier to setup.

i can understand your reluctancce to usee linux (i swear linux hates me) i would "borrow" a copy of win 2k server there are programs that run on the server and process requests win 2k and win nt4 server should have everythin you need included in the install

yea... w2k server is on hand, notta problem... thx for the reply!

i'd like to know more about a CD/DVD server still

Last edited:
Back