• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about a chipped core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

So after being careless with mounting/arranging my waterblock two weeks ago, I found out I had chipped three of the edges. Fast forward a week after I get my other problems solved, I discovered that my mobile XP2500 chip still clocked very high and still had the same temperature.

P1010018.JPG

P1010016.JPG

At the time I thought this chip would be dead so I purchased another cpu. Now that I find out it's still live and kicking, I'd rather keep the new cpu. Do you guys think those chips will have any negative effects on the cpuin the future? I've ran the chipped core for a week now, still clocks at 2.7ghz and temperatures are still under 50C load.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking of putting it up for sale in the classifieds and at least gauranteeing no DOA and gaurantee it won't die for a month. If so, I'll give full refund including shipping to get it shipped back to me. I'm just trying to get rid of it but not sure how the chipped core will act in the future.

btw, stepping is IQYFA 0343, a really nice chip. Just don't know if it'll have any effects in the future.

I would have thought that if it works now it should keep on working indefinitely.

Question is though, if it is so great, why not just keep it yourself and sell the second CPU? You would find it easier to shift if it isn't chipped.

I have a very small chip, similar to yours, on one corner of my Athlon 2800 in my main rig (see below) and I haven't had any problems with it. I first noticed the chip 3 months ago and my computer has been running fine at 200 x 12 since then.

Biggles 266 said:
I would have thought that if it works now it should keep on working indefinitely.

Question is though, if it is so great, why not just keep it yourself and sell the second CPU? You would find it easier to shift if it isn't chipped.

Because my second cpu can run at the same speed with much less voltage ;)

edit: well, I've decided to sell my new cpu and keep my chipped one. Didn't want to lose too much money by selling the chipped one. A iqyfa 0351 shouldn't take too long to sell, hopefully.

Last edited:
I think you probably made a wise decision- the loss of a value with a chipped core can be pretty steep, even if the chip is running fine.

Personally, I have no problem buying a chipped chip- as long as the seller is honest about it and will guarantee operation for a short time...but a discounted price is expected due to the chance of a shorter lifespan.

A note on chipped chips as well: using non-conductive TIM is a very good idea.
I once had a Duron that was given to me as it was chipped, and ran it with no problems with cheap silicone TIM; as soon as I put good stuff (back in the AS2 days) on it the cpu was dead.

DONT TRY TO USE ARTIC SILVER~! I chipped my 2500 and i was stupid and used a silver based tim and shorted the chip! Rip 2500 aqxea. It should be fine just dont chip anymore

I chipped my P3 1ghz, and I still ran it for months. It was prime stable. And I could run it for over 10 days without restarting.

SK8 said:
DONT TRY TO USE ARTIC SILVER~! I chipped my 2500 and i was stupid and used a silver based tim and shorted the chip! Rip 2500 aqxea. It should be fine just dont chip anymore

:eek:

Well, I used the AS5 already and it's running fine right now. hmm, should I use Ceramique instead?

Back