• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about a Dell 8300 I have

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mysti_Rayne

Registered
Ok so I have a Dell 8300, I opened it up to install a Radeon 9800 pro. I was trying to find the CPU. I noticed there was something huge in the way. It looked like a huge ventilation pipe connected to the heatsink. What is that thing. Is that Dell's way of cooling the CPU? I never seen anything so weird. It's like a huge ventilation object connected to the heatsink. Anyone with Dell know what i'm talking about? By the way I have a 3.2 Northwood, with 1 mb3200, how far can I overclock?

Yeah, sounds like a duct to me. As for overclocking, Dell computers won't have a motherboard that has a BIOS with overclocking features. You'll get basic setting adj. and that's about it. You can still game really well on it though, with a 3.2 NW and 1 Gb of ram. Also, something you might read up on is flashing your 9800 Pro to XT; especially if it's brand new. It should be able to directly flash over and then you could have a XT with the temp probe and overdrive on it just by flashing the BIOS. I'm not the one to ask abou that though. Do a search for it and there are many threads that you can read.

enduro said:
Yeah, sounds like a duct to me. As for overclocking, Dell computers won't have a motherboard that has a BIOS with overclocking features. You'll get basic setting adj. and that's about it. You can still game really well on it though, with a 3.2 NW and 1 Gb of ram. Also, something you might read up on is flashing your 9800 Pro to XT; especially if it's brand new. It should be able to directly flash over and then you could have a XT with the temp probe and overdrive on it just by flashing the BIOS. I'm not the one to ask abou that though. Do a search for it and there are many threads that you can read.

I think my 9800 pro is 2 years old. Oh well, plus someone said I can't flash it. I guess I have the older version.

Back