• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about intake grilles...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznsound

i have 2 sets of those hard drive fans with 3 40mm fans each in the front of my system taking air in... they have a removable front grille with a mesh for dust... the system idles at 29C... but when i take off the grille the system idles at 33C... does anyone know what's going on...? i wouldn't think the grilles affect airflow that much if at all... but obviously it does... i just put the grilles back on and the temp is slowly going back down...

What you describe should not happen unless the grill somehow causes the fans to rotate faster. Because grills restrict airflow, their removal usually lowers temps.

Unless of course your rig is one that runs at lower temps with negative air flow. How many fans do you run input vs. output?

You might try removing the grills but adding a fan in the back blowing out. And above all, whether it makes sense or not, go with what works best for your rig;)

DWolf:cool:

i have 6 40mm in the front taking air in (~30cfm total) and an 80mm taking air in also but the holes on the case are really small so i don't think it's doing a good job... and at the back i have 80mm (~34cfm) sucking air out plus the power supply fan...

It could just be the placement of the sensor, or it could be turbulence or backpressure.

My first guess would be sensor location.

Another thought is that they don't do squat when covered and actually blow hot air off the harddrives and into the case when uncovered. :cool:

there's nothing behind them... just using them as a case fan... but they do help a lot... my processor would be at 60C without them... i'm at 47C right now...

Back