• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on Locked Barton to Mobile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

my question is will i be able to successfully then change my multi inside windows ?? i really dont care to much that it will not change from bios.. i just want to confirm what i thought i saw on tomshardware guide th e1st of october.. says you can change desktop to mobile mp and then adjust the multi from within windows.. im gonna kick myself if this is the way to "unlock" a "locked" barton .. somebody shed some light please !!

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041001/index.html

If you DON'T have a nForce2 mobo then you can, if it is nForce2, changing multies inside windows won't work

nForce2 doesn't support changing multipliers on the fly.
Basically it works on most if not all VIA chipsets because their mobile and desktop chipset are pretty much the same, so as the mobile ones have to support it, and the desktop ones have the same design, they do too.
nVidia doesn't have mobile nforce2 chipsets, thus they probably never planned on adding such support, as this requieres some more circuitry and logic.

ok this may be retarded but how about this.. if i cant change multis regardless.. is there any benefit to changing this cpu to a mobile/mp ? does it use less power when changed to mobile ? therefore maybe just maybe i can get around or at least up my fsb another notch if this will help in anyway making it stabler ?

No, the CPU will use the same amount of power it normally uses at a given frequency/voltage. It will not give you any benefits if you have an nF2 board.

Back