• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions for a new nf7-s 2.4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djsynthesis

Registered
Mushkin 222 Special Black needs 3.3v ??

Hey all, I'm upgrading my system for the first time in 4 years (i'm currently running an 800tbird :rolleyes: ), and after soaking in this forum for a while, I decided to buy an nf7-s and a 2600-M from newegg. I just received a 2.4 board (the one with the blue dimm/ide slots) and am trying to replace the stock hsf on the nb... after removing the plastic clips, it feels like the hsf is still stuck on the nb, though it does wiggle a bit now. If this is normal, can I just pull on it harder or just twist it off? Or are the hsfs adhered to the 2.4 boards?

I haven't received my cpu hsf nor case/psu yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to OCing this baby to hopefully 2.6+ (if my mushkin bh-6's will let me)

Any help will be appreciated, thanks! :)

Last edited:
The NB coolers have paste, not a pad, nor are they expoxied. They are simply vaccumed stuck to the NB via paste. Just twist and pull it off, no harm will be done.

-Sen

Also...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

..and the sickness :eek:

Mushkin 222 Special Black Needs 3.3v ??

Thanks Sentential =)

Got another question, though: from what I've read, it looks like the max mem voltage that the nf7-s will hit is 2.8v. Now, the ram i have is mushkin's special black (bh-6), which -- according to other various threads -- OCs to ~250 only if you give it enough power (around 3.3v). I'm somewhat wary of trying out one of the vdimm mods that I've seen, especially since i've never soldered anything before. But looking around on OCZ's page, I came across their "DDR Booster" which supposedly lets you raise vdimm up to 3.9v... Has anyone heard of or tried this?

Again, any comments/advice will be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Edit: Link to OCZ's DDR Booster

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

I hear ya man, I'm going to be upgrading soon to a 2500+ from my 1.4ghz tbird. I can't wait to get into some serious overclocking. Good luck. :)

I just looked at the page for the OCZ ddr booster, and from what it looks like, it's just a diagnostic tool with a digital readout that also filters the power going to the memory to make it more stable. Apparently the fact that it "allows adjustments up to 3.9V" means that 3.9v is the maximum voltage that can pass through the ddr booster without screwing it up. Because, as they point out in the first note below the description, "Certain chipsets/motherboards may allow lower or higher voltage." Hope this helps. :)

Yea... I saw that too, but was just hoping that OCZ would be my saviour. :p

Has anyone heard of any simple vdimm mods for the nf7-s? I'm considering one of tic tac's mods .

Those are pretty popular mods, and should work fine. I guess you could start out with the resistor mod to get your feet wet, then do the wire mods, etc. Or if you're interested in having a professional do it for you, check out this thread.

webfreak said:
Those are pretty popular mods, and should work fine. I guess you could start out with the resistor mod to get your feet wet, then do the wire mods, etc. Or if you're interested in having a professional do it for you, check out this thread.

why are you linking someone to the classifieds that has 4 posts?

here is a thread about the DDR booster hope it helps some. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=304918

Trust me, I had never soldered before trying the vdimm mods and it worked fine. Soldering is really easy, all you need is the equipment. The points on the back of the motherboard are a LOT easier to solder than trying to solder the VR on the front of the motherboard where things are smaller :)

CandymanCan said:
The vdimm mod only allows up to 3.3v not 3.9v i dunno where u got that from, also the maxm emory voltage should be 2.9v not 2.8v

I was referring to OCZ's vdimm mod device, which apparently does allow up to 3.9v (though it doesn't fix the nf7's lack of vtt tracking...so their device might not actually be all that great of a deal for people with nf7 boards).

Back