• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid 0 very slow both read and write

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magicuser

Registered
Hi, I made a raid 0 array with 2 hatchi 7k160 thay are sataII drives with 8mb cahce each. that said my truble is that when i tryed to install windows xp pro on my array it take forever im talking 1 hour to just copy files:bang head . when windows setup resumes form restarting it take 15 min to just start the rest of setup. I have not overclocked the computer at all the specs are in my signutare i do have a ide ata 160 gb i will try to install windows on to see if it is the array are just the drive. I've also tryed 3 diffrent discs all yeiling the same resualt. Can some one please help me soon i really have to get it going before monday.....

Are those drives on the ICH8R controller or JMicron? I know the optical drive has to be on the JMicron. Either way, are your drives jumpered for SATA3.0 operation? Some are default to SATA1.5 and this can sometimes cause issues. I assume you're also using the correct/latest drivers for whichever RAID controller you are using to install via F6 during Windows install? Is your optical drive jumpered as master/slave correctly as well?

I have had this happen with a couple of motherboards. It may not be the raid at all, in my case it was not the raid. XP took allmost 6 hours to install. As best as I could figure it was my USB printer or other usb device. Once installed however it ran fast and smooth. My system will not even boot with the usb printer on now.

there are no jumber that i can see on the drives i belive thay are controlled by the ich8 on the board the optical drive is set as slave and my 160 ata ide is set to master. i do have the latest drivers form fozconns website i'am also pressing f6 to install during setup. as far as i can tel i did every thing right it is just very slow...... the stripe size is 128k...the only usb divises installed are my logitech g15 keyboard and my logitech mx700 mouse...

I just unpluged all my usb stuff from the motheroard and left a ps/2 keyboard pluged ing it startes up a whole lot faster but when it is installing devices during setup it is very very slow what is the reason for this any one know?? byt eh way the little progessbar on the right bottom coner is bearely moving at all.

This has happened to me before and it ended up being a bad DVD drive, I swapped the drive with a POS CDROM and the install went smooth and fast. Worth a shot if you have another cd or dvd drive laying around.

Also some cd,dvd drive will not like either slave or master. Some will only work well in one or the other, this is usually in the product doc's. I have one dvd drive that only runs as master and another that will only run as slave. Make sure that ide is master and not cs.

Mind show us your device manager screen shot there ? On the Disk part.

And the Intel Matrix Console as well.

shadow dr was right now my dvd rw works now i have a faster raid 0 using the two deskstar 7k160 on a ich8 chipset, but it dips down ... look at this:( click to make bigger)

Back