• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid advice on A8V deluxe ver 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flashnc

hello good people.

first time posting here, i must say, i have gained a lot of the little knowledge i have of over clocking better from this and other forums here at OC.

i have a question being new to this board "A8V deluxe.ver 2....ive seen thoughts on which sata/ raid controllers to use. im getting ready to set up 2x 36 raptors in raid and wonder what the general consensus is on the controllers for best performance and also stablilty..i have a newer board with the 1010.003 bios Jan 05 (if i remember correctly the .003 part). and has anyone run the raptors with this board in raid?? thanx yall. looking forward to ya'lls suggestions...Flash

Flash,

Use the promise controller if you plan on overclocking your system. There have been a lot of reports of corrupted data overclocking on the Via contrloller. The Via control isn't locked properly i guess. I don't have raptors but my sata raid on the new bios has been fine.

troutbumoh. Thank You

exactly what i was looking for. i had read that somehwere and was reluctant to search it out again....lol ( tooooooooo many forums and tooooo many topics. lol ).

yes im overclocked caa2c 3500 :) running stable @ 2.805 vcore down to 1.6 to get there ( had it higher to begin with 1.65 ) prime 95 for 8 hours no errors. but im running it @ 2.651 @11 x 241 1.47 vcore on my board . 42-43c load...i was fortunate enough to get one of those ADA3500 caa2c "mystery cores" that clocked crazy.... Flash

troutbumoh, I heard the opposite. I heard the Promise controller is affected by OC'ing and the VIA controller is not. I run my system at 250Mhz with Windows on a SATA RAID 0 array and have been doing so for 6 months now with zero corruption/errors.

computer_p2.gif

hmmmmm..i did notice that my system at 2.8 something started to affect the vid card...(which it didnt on sata ) im thinking it was the agp/pci rate. it was at 66/33 when i started in bios..im wondering if it is moving during hi overclocks on the promise controller?? now i am confused!!! lol...anyone??? :bang head

Welcome to the forums Mate!!!

Although I have not tried RAID 0 (Useless and too risky IMHO), I can assure you that the PROMISE Controller is more stable than the VIA (Alteast on the board I got 6 months ago).

S-N

TY Super Nade.
im on one of the new boards myself 1010.003 bios 4.55drivers.

after reading some more on the forums...i wonder could my issue be with the via agp driver???? in high overclocks???? i let it install the agp not knowing the ms agp driver was the better of the 2.. 11x257 -260 area the vid card starts to run sporadically.... raising the refresh rate on my monitor to 120 from 100 helped only a small margin. :shrug:

Flash

Last edited:
Back