• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID0 Aint All That Unsafe Unlike People Say It Is!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a feeling that people aren't separating out the reliability differences between software RAID and hardware RAID when saying that striping is unreliable. I've found hardware RAID to be very reliable. In one sense, I suppose you do "double" the possibility of a hard disk failure, but you do that even if you have two unstriped drives in your box.

Formermac said:
I have a feeling that people aren't separating out the reliability differences between software RAID and hardware RAID when saying that striping is unreliable. I've found hardware RAID to be very reliable. In one sense, I suppose you do "double" the possibility of a hard disk failure, but you do that even if you have two unstriped drives in your box.

Well if you have two seperate drives if one goes bad you do not lose both drives worth of Data.

Formermac said:

There is no inherent difference in reliability between hardware and software raid0- it's always the striping of data over 2 disks.
Having two logical disks does not double the failure chance like a 2 disk raid0 array does because the data set is lost if either fails in the latter case, whereas in the former 'only' half is lost.

Back