• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Upgrade for i9 Lenovo X1E gen 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flows

Hi Folks,

I am looking to upgrade my RAM with a view to undervolting and maybe OC if I can get the thermal mods for this unit under control. Any recommendations? It is DDR4 2666 currently. Worth putting in the 3200 SODIMMs from Kingston or Crucial and undervolting do we think or are there chips with better timing options for the i9 9880H CPU out there?

Is the bios is locked down on those? If so 2666 is the most you'll get as that is max for the platform.

That will depend on the options available in the BIOS. I'm guessing to OC the GPU he used a program such as MSI Afterburner. There is a similar program for the CPU called XTU but it may not work with your laptop. He doesn't mention how he undervolts the CPU, it may be BIOS or it may be XTU or some other method that I'm not familiar with. I can tell you the principle behind undervolting the CPU is that by decreasing power draw, temperatures are lowered and thus the laptop can boost to higher clocks for longer. Generally laptops are thermally constrained, so rather than adding more power, in this case decreasing power is allowing for increased performance, as there is extra voltage baked into the stock settings to ensure stability on all platforms, and that just turns into extra heat which lowers performance.

That will depend on the options available in the BIOS. I'm guessing to OC the GPU he used a program such as MSI Afterburner. There is a similar program for the CPU called XTU but it may not work with your laptop. He doesn't mention how he undervolts the CPU, it may be BIOS or it may be XTU or some other method that I'm not familiar with. I can tell you the principle behind undervolting the CPU is that by decreasing power draw, temperatures are lowered and thus the laptop can boost to higher clocks for longer. Generally laptops are thermally constrained, so rather than adding more power, in this case decreasing power is allowing for increased performance, as there is extra voltage baked into the stock settings to ensure stability on all platforms, and that just turns into extra heat which lowers performance.

Thank you. I see there are also a few other tools like Throttlestop for adjustments and Open Hardware Monitor and Speccy for viewing.
So it looks like the i9 9880H is tweekable but RAM speeds are not a huge factor in more GPU intensive applications and it looks like the i9 9880H does not have a unlocked multiplier like the 9880HK.

Back