• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready to build - need views on my system please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devdeep1

Registered
Finally, I have got a spec on the system I am thinking of. The PC is for home video editing, browsing, some gaming etc. Need a full tower case as I find them much easier to work with. Hopefully the spec has room for future improvements.

Also need a 5.25in bay for an optical drive (I know they are going out of fashion!). Happy to consider an external USB 3 option as well.

Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev2 Gaming Case
Be quiet! - Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Gold PSU
AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
ASUS X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Motherboard (no wi-fi)
Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card

If you'd like to save a bit more you can go with this Antec P101 Silent. Both choices will be fantastic options for you. I can't seem to find the Antec in stock at the moment, possibly because it's a new case design.

I understand your reasoning for wanting a full tower case, but there's "huge" and then there's "cavernous". Full tower cases are cavernous - and typically costly.

The main difference (in terms of working inside the case) between a decent mid tower and a full tower is the height. Other than that, with some careful homework, the width and the depth of the cases are otherwise the same. And of course, when assembling a computer when inside the case, you generally are working within the area of the motherboard. In other words, the height does not play into it. The case height will not matter when trying to connect cables to the motherboard. The height will not matter when installing your single drive (in a case designed to support up to 15 SSDs!). It will not matter when installing your graphics card (in a case with 8 expansion slots).

There are many great mid tower cases that have lots of room to work in and leave lots of room for future upgrades. For example, check out the Fractal Design Define R6.

Why does this matter? It matters when you have to lug the machine outside to blast out the heat trapping air. Yes, air filters will reduce the frequency this is needed, but dust will still get in. It might matter if it has to fit under some computer desks.

There are certainly some small mid and micro cases out there and I would avoid them too. But there are some excellent, high quality mid tower cases that will easy fit (with elbow room to spare! ;)) your needs - and lots more to choose from too.

I don't see an OS listed. A new motherboard constitutes a new computer and typically new computers need new software licenses. If your old license is an OEM/System Builder license it cannot "legally" be transferred to a new computer under any circumstances.

To help expand on Mr. Brights post, what was once considered a Full Tower would now be a classified as a Mid-tower. Today's Full Tower case would be yester-years Server Case.

That's a lot of money to spend on a case but if your wallet and your space can accommodate it, go for it!

Ummm, not sure I agree with the full tower is now a mid tower. Full towers have always been monstrous and they really have not gotten bigger (or smaller) over the decades. That said, there are many mid-tower cases that support large EATX motherboards. There certainly is no standard definition for what makes a tower a mid tower other than it will support standard ATX motherboards. Most mid-tower cases will also support µATX boards. Don't recall any full that do, but I suppose if the mounting holes are there, they could.

But Blaylock is correct in saying full towers are typically used for busy file servers. They often need to support many drives, and often EATX boards (or even larger HPTX) that support multiple CPUs and multiple expansion cards. That said, with today's monster drives, you could still make a busy file server out of mid tower case as most still easily support 4 (usually 6 - 8) drives.

Sadly, because there is no industry standard that dictates what makes a mid and what makes a full tower, you really have to trust the maker's labeling. But even they can't make up their minds.

Clear as mud huh? To make it even more (or less?) clear, see this by Linus:

LOL, I was dating myself there referring to the AT cases.

I completely agree with that Linus video. Muddled is the best word to describe current classifications, though it's really not surprising. I mean, what's a car these days? Seems like there's more minivan/crossover/hybrid/suv's than cars. I digress. Also, Linus nearly made it through a video without an advertisement. I actually checked the date to see how old the video was. LOL

Last edited:
LOL I hear you. I have an old Antec full tower AT case I use as an end table down in the basement! It was part of my very first builds. Just hate to get rid of it.

Back