• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

really need help here for new New Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Namy

Yep that's right, still using 7900 GS KO's in SLI. Sad ain't it. Even sadder is that it is EVGA's overclocked version and I have them overclocked further and they Haven't blown up yet. In fact they outlived my first build (Socket 939 based with 3 GB of Ram) and are now stuck in a AM3 Phenom x4 powered machine with 8GB of RAM on a Dual 16x PCI-E Mobo.

Now I don't have them too overclocked because I experienced problem going any higher than 515 Core and 730 on memory (Whole screen artifacting) and Because they don't run as cool as they used to (Idle is 61 w/ fan at 30% and Load tops at about 78 with fans on 90%.

They aren't bad cards and I love them to death, and the fact that they still work... mostly is something to be said.

Now to the point of making this thread, I want something new because who knows how much longer these are going to last

I want something better. At first I was eyeballing the 550 Ti which I now know sucks... Badly and That's not an option for me. Now Given it is most likely better then what I am currently on with SLI (If not that's kinda sad) it just has plain horrible reviews.

Now I'm not a heavy gamer. I play EvE and plan on Getting the new Elder Scrolls game probably, and what I want even though I have a SLI configuration, is 1 Card that is better then what I have so I can use more then one monitor.

I'm not sure though if with newer cards you can use more then 1 screen with SLI enabled cards (You cannot do so with 7900's) So if 2 cards can be used as such, I would probably prefer that route and SLI them.

I am not eyeing any ATI/AMD card obviously, so those are not option seeing I have strictly an SLI only board based on the 990a chipset.

I have looked at the regular GTX 560's (Ti's are out of my price range) and the GTX 460 for the single card set up, and the reason was that I was going to leave in a 7900 just to run other screens. But if newer cards and run SLI and power 2 screens off one card nowadays that's ok.

I'm not interested in anything super overclocked. I'm looking for quality build and trust, not how much I can push the card till it explodes. Again all I do really in play EvE, Starcraft II and render Hi-Def movies and record in-game with Fraps.

I just need help deciding what I should get (like waiting for the next GPU to come out and snag a 560 when It becomes cheap, or grab 460's now since the support hasn't changed that much) and whether SLI would be worth it for me.

EDIT: I just also feel like they are bottlenecking the performance output of my current machine.

AMD RANA (Unlocked Phenom x4 - verified) underclocked to 2.8 on 1.10 volts

8 Gigs of G-Skill 1333 Ripjaws (Also if anyone has anyclue to why I cannot get these to run on dual channel on my Mobo (Asus m4n98TD-Evo) and a trick to get them to run in the other slots lets me know please)

Asus M4N98TD-Evo MB

500 Watt Rosewill Stallion series PSU

Soundblaster Audigy 2-ZS (You can laugh)

3 Various 7200 RPM harddrives from Western Digital ( 2 80 gigs and 1 500)

Current GFX cards are 2 7900 GS KO's in SLI x16

Thank You

the gtx460 is a decent card and should run on the psu that you currently have. If you decide to get the 460 make sure that it is the 1gb card as its memory interface is greater and therefore much better performance than the 768mb card.

Back