• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really Pondering Which Card to Pic (1070 vs 1080) Update: 1080TI w/ Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well if its the 1080 its truly only the 2 fan version EVGA 1080 iCX.
Now if i jump to the 1080ti, i didn't even notice the 3 fan version. Considering its a decent bump I'd probably stick with the 2 fan version EVGA 1080ti iCX

Unless something else comes up I liked the iCX models with the additional sensors and independent fan controls to help keep components cooler as needed.

Well if its the 1080 its truly only the 2 fan version EVGA 1080 iCX.
Now if i jump to the 1080ti, i didn't even notice the 3 fan version. Considering its a decent bump I'd probably stick with the 2 fan version EVGA 1080ti iCX

Unless something else comes up I liked the iCX models with the additional sensors and independent fan controls to help keep components cooler as needed.

I have the 2 sc be with 2 fans. ANd it cools really well.

That's some couch! LOL
I shake the money out of my guests that come to the house :) Actually I did find a $50 in my couch one time. Must of been from a Birthday or Christmas time :D

I have the 2 sc be with 2 fans. ANd it cools really well.
Good to know. What ever it is, its got to be quieter than my R9 290, its pretty noisy.

^lol! I had 2 290x's reference (one was an unlocked 290), and they were sounding like jet engines! And when mining, I could turn the heating off wintertime! ;)

Sure you will love the EVGA cooler.

Big place here so it doesn't heat much anymore. My old condo it did add some heat during the winter (basement, about 400Sq Ft of finished area). Now though... big basement, over 1000 finished and about the same unfinished thats exposed and multiple windows. Yeah really don't think it will heat much down here. Might help during the summer as it can dip into the lower 60's easily. It can be quiet... when its in my cabinet, and closed. Really was looking at a potential new case last year might still be game for that trying to "consolidate" the setup a little more.

I might consider mining with the old card or selling it but I got my old rig still that could use the GPU and then its a fully functioning gaming PC that has a 1080p screen already.

Glad to hear about the EVGA cooler though being "quieter" at least from all the reviews I think anything can be quieter then these blowers that AMD puts out.

Ok ok update! After much thinking, looking even at the competition for numbers which really the Vega56 actually seemed half way decent I have decided.....

I went with the EVGA 1080ti iCX edition!
Yup a little more, but being considerably faster than the 1080, plenty of ram on this sucker for 4k res and looking at it for the nice VR aspect as well and the future to come. Looking forward for some gaming on this early next week :D

Doh. Course I get 1 day shipping on my card and now it's will be sitting waiting for me at work today. At least it will be there for me on Monday to play with.

Ok so after a shipping mix up got the first card I ordered... and now I have a second card in my hands hmmmmm. Hope Newegg can take it back and the game that attached with it since well I don't need it.... anyways

Wow so much quieter than my R9 290, and cooler, and I don't even have to have my cabinet (side of the desk) open to use it without it overheating! I know I added some commits in the Mining (Crypto) section about it but runs at a nice 65C mining vs 69-72C with door open and 75C+ when the cabinet was closed and well LOUD.

And to the guts... I haven't played to much with the OC of the card yet but so far testing wise I have managed a nice Core +150 and Mem +750 when gaming. I just upped the TPD to 120% if not mistaken don't think I even touched the voltages. Now the quick bench I did have having my mem at +500 was slightly faster, as I think it gave more Wattage to keep the boost averaged at a higher rate. So still playing around with it but for now the card is more then plenty fast for gaming as far as I can tell :) Really enjoying it! Said forget 2D games and went for the full VR aspect with a few games and lets just say MAXED settings and really happy about it.

And here is a little comparison of NEW vs OLD cards. Its a lot narrower then my old card. Use to have issues before with it running into the side of the case now... plenty of room. Almost wish I kept the reversed style case (mobo flipped upside down) from some years ago since I couldn't make it work with the old GPU and fan to help get more air into the case.
IMG_6012.JPG

Last edited:
Important with nVidia cards is to benchmark it to make sure it is what it says on the tin, remember the 970 with 4GB ram that turned out to be 3.5GB 1st World RAM with 0.5GB of 3rd World RAM. My GTX 1070 came with a full free copy of 3D Mark so it could be verified. Jensen Huang, he looks like such a dodgy character, probably was trying pass off fake Rolex's in a past life.

Important with nVidia cards is to benchmark it to make sure it is what it says on the tin, remember the 970 with 4GB ram that turned out to be 3.5GB 1st World RAM with 0.5GB of 3rd World RAM. My GTX 1070 came with a full free copy of 3D Mark so it could be verified. Jensen Huang, he looks like such a dodgy character, probably was trying pass off fake Rolex's in a past life.
lol.. wow.

Well that's a take on it for sure... Yeah my card is what it is via gpu-z and benching so far

Well didn't get around to test the voltage chart any but just had a 2 1/2 gaming session running +100 core and +750 Mem. Man really loose track of time in VR.

Ok little more fine tuning over the past few weeks.

Mining clocks i switched it up some actually, was getting more crashes lately so backed it off. Running +75 Core and +500 Mem. Gives me a nice 1950/6000 clock typically when mining with results actually edging closer to 40MH/sec now, lower mem actually gave better speeds in this case, it went down with +600 and went up a little with +750 but unstable.

Gaming clocks with the default bios so far getting, with max voltage and TDP, getting +100 Core and +600 Mem. Was slightly higher on the core but I had a minor issue last night and thought it was my GPU, turned out to be my CPU not having enough voltage for a game! Shocker :)

Anyways for the game its called Ashes of the Singularity. I did a test back in late August as part of a comparison to the new card, but also a rework to the code that was done from earlier in the year. So this is a comparison between my old R9 290 and 1080ti GPU, same CPU clock speed of 4.5Ghz.

First up CPU Tests
This one I thought was a little interesting, ran an extra test with lower settings by accident but decided to show it anyways. First one is from the R9 290 and the next 3 are from the 1080ti running 1440p as well as 2160p.
AotS - CPU Results @ 1440p.jpg
AotS - CPU Results @ 1440p - 9-25-17 - Low Settings.jpg
AotS - CPU Results @ 1440p - 9-25-17.jpg
AotS - CPU Results @ 2160p - 9-25-17.jpg

Interesting out of all these, now I don't remember what the GPU load was for the R9 290 test but the 1080ti test it was sitting at roughly 50% load, which ok good since its supposed to be stressing the CPU.
R9 290 - 35.6 to 54.7 FPS
1080ti - Nearly a solid 44-45 FPS across all 3 settings

Next up the bread and butter the GPU tests
While noting yes my R9 290 is pretty old, yet this is a graphics test that AMD has dominated. This is tested using DX12, not Valkan (had issues loading it with the 1080ti).
Ok so first we have earlier version of the game (early March 2017 at an odd windowed res) vs a late August run of the game on the R9 290.
So from this we can tell that the GPU is the slow point on the game as the GPU is maxed out during tests. I'll compile results in a table below for easier viewing.
AotS - GPU Results @ 1440p - 8-20-17.jpg
AotS - GPU Results @ 1440p.jpg

Now we have 1080ti. So much power :) Realized that my CPU is holding me back a little on some of the results with this one!
AotS - GPU Results @ 1440p - 9-25-17 (1x MSAA).jpg
AotS - GPU Results @ 1440p - 9-25-17 (2x MSAA).jpg
AotS - GPU Results @ 1440p - 9-25-17 (4x MSAA).jpg
AotS - GPU Results @ 2160p - 9-25-17 (2x MSAA).jpg

Then I put togeather something quick, not pretty but shows the comparisons to the R9 290 @ 1440p (far left) / 1080ti @ 1440p at different MSAA levels (middle) / 1080ti @ 2160p (2x MSAA) vs R9 290 @ 1440p (1x MSAA) (top right) and right below that just the 1080ti comparison between 1440p and 2160p at with 2x MSAA. Amazing at the performance (non-CPU related) increase between these cards. Getting over double my frame rate, not at just 1440p but even at 4k. And even then its only... only a max hit of 10% going from 1440p to 2160p... yup a game I can really enjoy at maxed out res with zero issues :)
Results Chart.jpg

You can flash the XOC Bios: power and temp, limit gone!

Which means you stay on a stable clock, maybe loosing one bin (13MHz).

And you work voltage with the curve. I was struggling to reach 2000MHz with the stock bios, and I was kloosing roughly 40MHz when card was getting hotter. Now, I have 2025MHz with the same voltage, and 2038 with 1.125. Fixed!

Edit: that's a titan work you just served us!

Yeah really haven't played around with the curve that much. I did mess with it a bit then stopped as really didn't understand all that much of exactly what I was trying to do.
So I haven't had too much time to go back and play with it just yet. Once winter sets in and things calm down outdoors for the year I'm sure I can probably spend a little more time tweaking it when winter comes. Including flashing the bios if I want to do that.

Right now gaming I'm just below or just above the 2000Mhz clock, it bounces around for me but I'm right in that zone. Either way I'm thrilled of the performance, and once I get a little more time I'm sure I'll squeeze what I can out of this card like I did with my last one which sadly was just blah. It worked and treated me well with zero issues for years but it didn't OC very well. Course now that my GPU isn't necessarily limiting me in some games (above) I might reconsider increasing my CPU clock since now with the new card it doesn't dump as much heat into the case and everything stays considerably cooler, 4.7-4.8Ghz here I come probably :)

Back