• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rebuilding my new build, need some advice on a few things.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bryce

So, I'm rebuilding my new build as it could have a lot better airflow I think. Right now it's just thrown together so I could start using it after waiting 5-6 months to build it. Anyways, sorry if some of the questions sound stupid or what not.

1) The case is an Antec 300 and I'm wondering what would be the best to cable manage for it?

2) I've got one hard drive, and four more on the way and I'm trying to think what would be the best way to RAID them. Or should I even bother with RAIDing them?

3) What CPU Cooler should I get to help cool down the cpu? I'm on a very limited budget, but I need to get the heat down a lot as it's overheating I think. Also, what about the GPU cooling? Suggestions on that please.

4) Anything else you see that I could do some work on to get it better? I'm looking at moving everything to an Antec 1200 case and installing my own side window in it because I just like looking in it all the time. And not having a side on it is just plain stupid for me as I've got little brothers who like to mess with things that aren't theirs.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Another question, which is about an HTPC.

I've got an old 2.2ghz AMD Sempron, 1gb RAM, Geforce 6200gt, onboard sound computer doing nothing. I'm wondering how much would I need to upgrade in order to turn that into a HTPC? I've got a dvd player that came with 5 speakers and a subwoofer, would there be anyway to use that on this comptuer? And then just buy a new TV that had output/input for the computer to use. Because my room is already wired for the surround sound through the dvd player, but could I have that go through my old computer instead and then go to the TV? I'm not really good with all this TV stuff, so just asking. Also, I've got 3 cable lines, 1 near the TV which feeds the dvd player (old one), which gives the TV/dvd surround sound system it's cable, and then another that is off a splitter with the first one to feed my video editing/recording equipment. And then a third one that feeds the internet. How should I go about getting this old computer setup as an HTPC? Or should I just wait til I move out where I have a clean slate and can organize everything so I know what I'm doing lol.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the 300, but go with the necessary wires behind the mobo tray and then the rest just get put down near the bottom. That htcp should work fine. The speakers and surround sound should work depending upon the connection type available.

Wow, no offence, but that wiring is a god-awful mess. Take your time, route all the wires as neatly as possible, and like ChanceCoats said, run as many behind the mobo tray as possible. Buy a pack of cable ties (cheap, like ~$1) to keep everything tight and neat. Just cleaning up that mess will likely improve your cpu temps. Check the cooling section for heatsink recommendations.

Back