• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refreshing desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

I recently had a bad virus so i downloaded a new anti virus program, AVG paid
since the virus, my desktop has been refreshing once in a while by itself. Screen blinks and all the icons disappear for a second and comes back.

Help me figure out what is wrong

thank you

So, did you get rid of the virus or not? Sounds like you need to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS.

Virus isn't removed or anti virus have gone mad. First try to remove anti virus and reboot system. Also try to scan with Malwarebytes

Sounds like explorer.exe is restarting.

Wouldn't Windows then throw him error about Explorer.exe stooped working? At least that what happens on win7 never had that issue on win10. Far as we know it can just be plain refresh, but either way its high possibility that its a virus.

It's likely caused by a virus, for sure. Check scheduled tasks to see if anything unusual is happening there. CCleaner makes it easy to check.

CCCleaner may be an issue as well; it's been infected. Back to square one -> reformat the drive, reinstall the OS, and call it a day.

The CCleaner issue is old news. I only mentioned it because it provides easy access to Scheduled Tasks. Good place to look for the unusual. "Reinstall! Reinstall!" is the last resort of the competent.

So, did you get rid of the virus or not? Sounds like you need to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS.
Everything seems OK except for this random refreshing.

Virus isn't removed or anti virus have gone mad. First try to remove anti virus and reboot system. Also try to scan with Malwarebytes
I think whenever i scan with Malwarebytes, it shows me that my PC has some sort of a problem but i cant fix it unless i pay for Malwarebytes.
I bought AVG and Tune up however. Everything shows good hmm..
Do i need to have a Window CD or something and do all the back ups again to reinstall OS?

CCCleaner may be an issue as well; it's been infected. Back to square one -> reformat the drive, reinstall the OS, and call it a day.

The CCleaner issue is old news. I only mentioned it because it provides easy access to Scheduled Tasks. Good place to look for the unusual. "Reinstall! Reinstall!" is the last resort of the competent.

You need USB stick and ISO file from Microsoft site and thats it. If you want key for Windows and you dont have it I suggest Kinguin or similar well known site.
Buuuuut ofc we all know how to avoid using cd key

Windows 10 has a Refresh option that leaves your files intact but starts the OS fresh and new again. It should be in Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Reset this PC>Keep my files

You need USB stick and ISO file from Microsoft site and thats it. If you want key for Windows and you dont have it I suggest Kinguin or similar well known site.

If he currently has Windows 10 installed on the computer he does not need to purchase an install stick from Microsoft. He can make his own free using the online Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Once you have Windows 10 installed on a machine, Microsoft has record of it and it is free to reinstall on that same machine as long as you don't change the motherboard.

And in this scenario that's exactly what I would do because either there is still an active infection or the cleaning of the infections has damaged system files. First, OP should back up his data (docs, pics, videos, etc.) and then create a USB flash drive installer with the Media Creation Tool. Then he should do a fresh, clean, from scratch install of Windows 10 making sure to delete all partitions in the front end of the installation process. I can tell you from a lot of personal experience with these things that you will save yourself a lot of time and also secure peace of mind by doing a fresh install as opposed to spending hours trying to clean infections and repair system files. Virus cleaning has its place but in some cases it's a lost cause.

Last edited:
I have no idea how to avoid using cd key hahah unless you mean like crackfile lol

Windows 10 has a Refresh option that leaves your files intact but starts the OS fresh and new again. It should be in Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Reset this PC>Keep my files
I will give this a try!

If he currently has Windows 10 installed on the computer he does not need to purchase an install stick from Microsoft. He can make his own free using the online Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Once you have Windows 10 installed on a machine, Microsoft has record of it and it is free to reinstall on that same machine as long as you don't change the motherboard.

And in this scenario that's exactly what I would do because either there is still an active infection or the cleaning of the infections has damaged system files. First, OP should back up his data (docs, pics, videos, etc.) and then create a USB flash drive installer with the Media Creation Tool. Then he should do a fresh, clean, from scratch install of Windows 10 making sure to delete all partitions in the front end of the installation process. I can tell you from a lot of personal experience with these things that you will save yourself a lot of time and also secure peace of mind by doing a fresh install as opposed to spending hours trying to clean infections and repair system files. Virus cleaning has its place but in some cases it's a lost cause.
I reseted my overclocks and will see if this was the cause. I will def keep yours and other guys' tips in mind!
And if you have Sandisk flash drive, I know a way around that problem, too. :D
Why does it have to be Sandisk..? haha

I dont see recovery - reset feature on my window 10 hmm

Oh i found it. So this will remove all the apps huh...?
There are some programs that i downloaded long time ago and have to keep them. I don't know how to download again haha..
What is my choice? :(

Oh i found it. So this will remove all the apps huh...?
There are some programs that i downloaded long time ago and have to keep them. I don't know how to download again haha..
What is my choice? :(

What do you mean by saying you don't know how to download them? You did it once before, didn't you? Do you mean you don't know how to find them on the Internet or you can no longer find them on the Internet?

Back