• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refreshing desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you mean by saying you don't know how to download them? You did it once before, didn't you? Do you mean you don't know how to find them on the Internet or you can no longer find them on the Internet?

some files my friend installed for me. crac..k..
mostly those crac....kkk...files lol. don't bash me with "our community doesn't support cracks" haha

- - - Updated - - -

The only way to restore PC and keep current apps is to restore the settings? (Not sure if this would get rid of refreshing PC problem)

I restored it like you guys suggested. Kept the files.
For some reason, my main drive, C, is completely filled. why..!!
My two other drives are fine though. However, when I right click on the 2nd, and 3rd drive to check their capacity, it shows size on disk is 4KB.. it should be more than 500 gb.. Those extra drives do contain my previous files though.
Why is this recovery giving such trouble..

Recovery saves a folder called "Windows Old" that has all the stuff needed to restore your PC to its previous state if needed or wanted.

Oh wow... i bit the bullet and formatted the pc without keeping the files.
Now im trying to restore files from Seagate backup.
I thought Seagate kept all the apps but i have to download all the apps again..
Another problem arose.. my internet instantly become super slow right after format. Internet on any ohter devices are fine.
What could be the cause of this?

Seagate backup does not cover installed apps. It backs up the data created by the apps and probably also Windows settings, favorites and the stuff on your desktop like folders and shortcuts. Apps cannot be "backed up" unless they are standalone simple executable files. They must be installed. When programs ("apps") install themselves they put information in the Windows registry and deposit files in various places that comprise the operating system structure - things that cannot be duplicated in backups, not by Seagate or any other backup product. "Backing up" is for saving data, not installed apps.

During the restore process it sounds like you must have told the installer to delete the existing partitions and and so it created new ones without the apps and data.

I can't tell from post #24 if you are saying you did another fresh, clean install of Windows subsequent to the restore you talk about in post #22 or if you are continuing on with the result you describe in post #22. What about the problem with the full drive? Is that still an issue? If you have lost your apps and data anyway, I think your next move should be to do a fresh clean from scratch install of Windows (including deleting the existing partitions) unless you have already done so.

Concerning your slow internet speed, are you connected via Wifi or ethernet?

Last edited:
My Downloads folder is kept on a separate drive from my OS. Programs I don't want to lose get the installers moved to a folder in Documents. In fact, I keep the OS, programs and games on my SSD and nothing else. That way if I bork my OS I don't lose anything important (except time).

Seagate backup does not cover installed apps. It backs up the data created by the apps and probably also Windows settings, favorites and the stuff on your desktop like folders and shortcuts. Apps cannot be "backed up" unless they are standalone simple executable files. They must be installed. When programs ("apps") install themselves they put information in the Windows registry and deposit files in various places that comprise the operating system structure - things that cannot be duplicated in backups, not by Seagate or any other backup product. "Backing up" is for saving data, not installed apps.

During the restore process it sounds like you must have told the installer to delete the existing partitions and and so it created new ones without the apps and data.

I can't tell from post #24 if you are saying you did another fresh, clean install of Windows subsequent to the restore you talk about in post #22 or if you are continuing on with the result you describe in post #22. What about the problem with the full drive? Is that still an issue? If you have lost your apps and data anyway, I think your next move should be to do a fresh clean from scratch install of Windows (including deleting the existing partitions) unless you have already done so.

Concerning your slow internet speed, are you connected via Wifi or ethernet?
Thanks for the explanation. lesson learned ..:(
I originally erased everything except for apps but then i was having trouble with the full C drive and whatnot.
So i just fully formatted my PC including second and third drive. Before i did this, I backed up using Seagate.
Now i'm trying to install all the apps again :(:(:(:(

My Downloads folder is kept on a separate drive from my OS. Programs I don't want to lose get the installers moved to a folder in Documents. In fact, I keep the OS, programs and games on my SSD and nothing else. That way if I bork my OS I don't lose anything important (except time).

That is smart! I should do that from now on! I usually erase all the installers but i should keep them from now on haha

i'm back.
I formatted the pc fully but this randomnly refreshing desktop is happening again.
i have AVG anti virus program btw.
what could be the problem now?..

i have a second monitor that im using.
I used to connect the monitor to GPU but now i connected to PC(?) (HDMI port that is not in the GPU) to see if this will fix it.
Would this have an effect in the quality of graphic?

i have a second monitor that im using.
I used to connect the monitor to GPU but now i connected to PC(?) (HDMI port that is not in the GPU) to see if this will fix it.
Would this have an effect in the quality of graphic?

I'm with ED. Sounds like it could be a hardware issue. The onboard video will not give you a lesser video quality. Colors and clarity and brightness should not be much different but the onboard video will give you greatly reduced frame rates which may make all but the least demanding 3D games unplayable.

Last edited:
Back