• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

remember early days of overclocking... what CPU were you running?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
I had excellent luck with the single core barton XP 3000+. This was one of the early 400Mhz AMD chips with DDR memory support. It ran at a 10.5 multi @ 1.5V. I ran with an Asus A7N8X deluxe Board. Nice combo.

The quick timings on that setup actually netted faster web browsing and general usage vs. my roommate's 939 Venice 3200+. But in gaming and number crunching the Venice did have substantially more power.

I saved the chip as it was from my first real AMD rig that actually had some speed. I really don't count my AMD K6-2 450Mhz computer build since it was nearly as slow as the previous Pentium (r) 133mhz rig. Seriously, that whole K6-2with 3D NOW had me sold, but just didn't pay dividends. It ran hot and couldn't handle any type of overclock. The 486 DX2 before that was lethargic at best. It ran at a whopping 66mhz. The case was made of what seemed like 1/4" steel and weighed in at about 50 lb.

Just recalling the early days... all the BSOD's and hard to find drivers. and mechanical hard drives --Today's hardware is much more durable and reliable.

What did you run back in the day for a system?

Good ol' days. I too picked up a K6-2 when I ditched the DX2, but mine was K6-2 500Mhz, now that was some serious clocks! :attn:

What process was that on, 180nm?

Back a bit over 9 years ago I started with an IBM something er other with a 768MHz proc. That machine wasn't that bad, once I figured out what the heck I was doing lol.
I got it with Win 98se on it but loaded XP Pro, which to my surprise, ran really well. Of course I wasn't doing anything amazing back then. Just learning what not to do :)

My first experience with OCing was with a Pentium 4. 2.4 OC'd to 3.2. I was so proud :)

Last edited:
My first overclock was a Pentium 200MMX. I got 233MMX speed for less. Not as dramatic as Celeron 333s getting 500mhz, but it was a start.

I got my first computer in late 2000. It was a mess of a 486 that a friend of mine built for me. He picked up a Creative ISA sound card for me from a friend over his Christmas break, but the machine wasn't quite fast enough to play an MP3. This was when Napster was going strong, and I wanted to be able to listen to MP3s. So I picked up an Evergreen upgrade CPU from Ebay. It was actually an AMD 586. Going from 66 MHz to 133 still wasn't quite fast enough play an MP3 file without skipping. I did a little research on the web (even at 26.8 connection speeds, my dial up connection was faster than my computer) and I read about something called "overclocking". The jumper settings for a 75 MHz bus speed were right on the motherboard, so I tried it. It worked, and was now fast enough to play an MP3! A blazingly fast 150 MHz! Of course, it wouldn't work if I put the side back on my AT case, but leaving the side off was a small price to pay.

I almost forgot about the Cyrix MII 300 rig. I think it was roughly equivalent to a Pentium II 200. Too bad Cyrix is gone now. The more competition the better for us :)

My friend had a Hewlett Packard in elementary school. I would go over there and play games all the time.. I remember seeing the vivid colors on the Intel Inside sticker. I think it was a 233.. I just couldn't believe this new MMX thing... had to have one.

I can't recall the actual package, but I do remember removing/replacing a clock generator crystal. (It was a long time ago..) A lab mate and I thought that would be a good mid-term project. Which made us kind of cool. Since everyone else was making logic gates or controllers.

LOL My intel p4 3.06ghz socket 478 oc to 3.6 ghz cause that's all my mother board would take but I ran it at 4.2 ghz a couple time but it was nothing but problems..

Pentium 133mmx @200
Celeron 400a @ 500
Thunderbird athlon 800mhz @ 1ghz
Thunderbird 1.4ghz athlon @ 1.6
Tbred A athlon 1700+ @ 1.7-1.9
Tbred B athlon 1700+ @ 2.0ghz
Tbred B athlon 2400+ @ 2.3ish ghz
Barton 2500+ @2.4ghz
venice 3200+ @ unknown
Opty 165 @ 2.65ghz
e6600 @ 3.2ghz
q6600 @ 3.8ghz
2700k @ 5.0ghz

I think thats all of them, though i dont know how many tbred athlons i went through trying to get that magic 2.0ghz, i just remember looking though my newegg history recently, and seeing those little wonder chips in there, that could compete with the very fastest chips on the market, for like 60 bucks. The true golden age of cpu overclocking, imo.

I had excellent luck with the single core barton XP 3000+. This was one of the early 400Mhz AMD chips with DDR memory support. It ran at a 10.5 multi @ 1.5V. I ran with an Asus A7N8X deluxe Board. Nice combo.

The quick timings on that setup actually netted faster web browsing and general usage vs. my roommate's 939 Venice 3200+. But in gaming and number crunching the Venice did have substantially more power.

I saved the chip as it was from my first real AMD rig that actually had some speed. I really don't count my AMD K6-2 450Mhz computer build since it was nearly as slow as the previous Pentium (r) 133mhz rig. Seriously, that whole K6-2with 3D NOW had me sold, but just didn't pay dividends. It ran hot and couldn't handle any type of overclock. The 486 DX2 before that was lethargic at best. It ran at a whopping 66mhz. The case was made of what seemed like 1/4" steel and weighed in at about 50 lb.

Just recalling the early days... all the BSOD's and hard to find drivers. and mechanical hard drives --Today's hardware is much more durable and reliable.

What did you run back in the day for a system?

Barton + Early days of overclocking? I think not. :rolleyes:

Try my AMD-made 80286-16MHz CPU overclocked to 20MHz by desoldering the slower clock crystal from the motherboard and replacing it with a faster one.

Get off my Lawn! :p

I can't recall the actual package, but I do remember removing/replacing a clock generator crystal. (It was a long time ago..) A lab mate and I thought that would be a good mid-term project. Which made us kind of cool. Since everyone else was making logic gates or controllers.

Looks like you're the only one who knows what we old-timers went through...

I'm too old for this ****

My first was Compaq desktop with AMD K6-2 300 MHz, I was able to get it to 333 or 350 MHz.

My first OC was a Pentium 75 up to 120, can't recall the motherboard it was running on.
Since then I have had:

Pentium MX200 @ 233
K6-2 333 @ 400
K6-3 400 @ 500 (Think I may have this processor attached to my wall at home)
Duron 600 @ 750 (a friend and I used an old AT psu and its 5v and ground wires attached to safety pins to short out the bridges on the durons and thunderbirds to then use a pencil)
Palomino 1700+ @1.6
Barton 2500+ @3.23 (Still have this setup in my office closet, may have to dig it out)
Opteron 170 @ 2.5
FX-60 @3.1
Phenom 9850 @ 2.9
Phenom II 940 @ 3.2
Phenom II 965 @ 4.2

I'm sure I am missing some processors in there, especially back in my socket 3, 5 and 7 days.

Last edited:
Yeah Yeah.. I'm a generation or two late for the original overclockers.

But, my first laptop only had 8mb of ram.. and a black and white screen doesn't that count for anything ? :rofl:

It's all good... :attn:

Edited to add I understand your fond memories of the Barton-core CPUs.

I had a 2500+ at 2525MHz :)

Attachments

• PANA0019.JPG
    PANA0019.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
my first OC was a P4 478 northwood 2.4 800FSB on a asus MB P4P800-SE. I oc-ed to 3.0 and it was as cool as a cucumber.I still have the MB but sold the CPU to a friend. Next was a prescott 3.2 to 3.5 and for the most part it was stable. I now have my sig rig thats OC-ed to 4.0,it flakes out now and then,I think it's getting tired.

Waiting on Haswell,saving my pennies

Back