• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing IE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ymNA

I tried to search but didn't get anything. The topid said it all, how do I remove Internet Explorer? IEradicator from 98lite.net is only for 98x only, how can I remove IE for XP? thanks

I don't know about xp, but I tried with 2000 and it worked fine until I tried to go into my program files folder, and the thing wouldn't open so I had to re-install windows.

This is the reason Microsoft is being in court today. They integrates their own programs in their operative system. I don't think you can remove IE and still run Win X properly at all. Tried to do it myself.

Ely

I was browsing the 98lite website and read that IEradicator will work in Win2k Pro sp1, but not sp 2 or 3. They claim to be working on a new version which will uninstall IE from Win2kpro sp2 , sp3 and WinXP, but it may be weeks or months before it happens. I think if I were to try it, I would definately back-up my data beforehand.

Seeing as HDD's are so large these days, and space is not a worry, I just removed the desktop icon, and all other visible signs of IE6 (although I still use it very occasionaly on sites that don't support Opera or Mozilla), and forget about it.

Bosh, as the man once said!

Like my avatar?;)

I have a copy of w2kpro sp1. You can bet I'll be using IEradicator just as soon as the OS is fully configured.

The problem Shane Brooks is having is to shoot at a moving target. They're close but it has to be stable across all sp versions. M$ is always creating critical updates and service packs that thwart his efforts. The system file repair feature will rewrite IE files back in as fast as IEradicator can delete them.

You know how M$ thinks. "Since you won't ever own the OS (we do) you can't ever deviate from the way we say you can use it! Read the EULA!!"

XP sp1 lets you hide it from view but it still lurks in the background eating up system resources. M$ also has made IE the only way to use windows update.

I'm wondering if I later apply w2k sp3 if it will reinstall the IE from some compressed hidden folder in w2k or sp3.

This tweak allows for the removal of Internet Explorer from Windows XP. In order to do so you will need a system with a second operating system installed (i.e. Windows 98, Linux, etc). My system is dual-booted with Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows XP Home Edition. Note: Both partitions must be formated with FAT32 for this tweak to work.

Steps:

1. In order to remove Internet Explorer from Windows XP without the Windows File Protection kicking in and restoring the files I am trying to delete, I booted into Windows 98 by selecting Windows 98 from the boot menu.
2. Once Windows 98 was booted I used windows explorer to browse to the drive where I installed Windows XP. In my case I double click the E: drive in Windows explorer, then Program Files, then Internet Explorer.
3. Select all the files in the directory Internet Explorer and delete them.
4. Reboot the computer into Windows XP.
5. Internet Explorer will be gone.

This tweak could also be performed using Linux or DOS. But not the version of DOS that comes with Windows XP. Do not remove Internet Explorer if any of the applications you use require it to run. Furthermore, you will no longer be able to use the Windows Update feature, but you can download the patches individually.
theres how to do it. try using a win98 boot up disk and do it from dos

note to everyone, dont go to 98lite.com, its .net, leraned that the hard way......

drdingo21,

How has well has XP worked for you since?

How long have you been running without IE in XP?

No gottchas?

This just seems to be too easy to be true. I'm not saying you didn't succeed but the simplicity of it just seems amazing considering how much effort M$ put into the integration and how much trouble Brooks has had with this issue.

Back