• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reseating NB and 9800np heatsink with AS5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

I wanna try to reseat my NB heatsink and 9800np heatsink with AS5. Is this a good idea for helping overclocking or will it not make a difference. Plus are there instructions for how to apply AS5 to these places? Do you just put a thin layer of AS5 over the NB chip and GPU? Thanks.

AS5 should give you better temps than whatever was on the NB and GPU before. Just follow the same directions that you would when applying AS5 to a CPU and you should be fine. Just make sure not to get any AS5 on anything but the GPU and NB because it could short something out otherwise.

Ok thanks radical, should I still use 91% or 99% alcohol to clean it off and clean up any mess?

My video card had a thick *** layer of white goop between the chinchy sink and crappy fan. I removed it, and put AS5. Just for kicks.. don't know if there is any benefit, but I know any kind of better contact between the heatsink and gpu is better. :p

I needa redo my northbridge, but the bolts holding it down require me to remove the motherboard... and that was 100x too much trouble while I was doing the other 20 mods I did today.

-Frank

::Edit::
To answer your question -- it couldn't hurt. AS5 is pretty much the best stuff I've used. And I realized today, that it is disgustingly hard to spread when you're in a 70°F environment.. hold the tube in your hand for about 5-10 minutes if you can.. it'll help "melt" it and make it easier to spread.

Back