• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Retired Sticky]Coolant additives. (the master list)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use a blue UV liquid in my system, but can I also have watter wetter or any other coolant that would not take the luminosity of the UV, or does it not affect it? Thanks.

you should add info for Baquacil, Dex-Cool, Bacteriostat, and possibly a link to the previous sticky that talks about all of the thermal properties of some of these fluids.

Guys, does watter wetter work with UV lights and mixed with a blue UV liquid? Or would it light up pinkinsh? I have no idea.

I switched from WW cause I think it was causing some weird build up on my tubing. I think some other members here have had the same problem. I have a bottle of Supercool from dtekcustoms, haven't gotten a chance to throw all my stuff together though and try it out. Some people say it has a pee smell. I've smelt it and while it does have a little bit of a smell, its much fainter than that of WW.

I'm just hoping it doesn't discolor the blue UV dye I got for my water.

Here's a thought: For a cheap biocide, how 'bout a little dash of "Anti-bacterial" dish or hand soap? I don't know if it will kill fungus and bactera both though.

Re: Reply to Silkolene questions

hmale said:
Hello guys,

Some of you have asked about finding the Silkolene Pro CCA product I mentioned previously. I do not have a direct link to the product, but if you go to www.silkolenestore.com and click on "maintain" on the menu to the left of the home page you will be directed to pages of different products. Just click next until you find Pro CCA additives (about 4 or 5 clicks to get there).

I like the product because it enables the user to maintain a higher water to additive ratio than required with Water Wetter or Purple Ice. A 1% solution is what is recommended. Another great feature is that it is odorless. For the aesthetically minded...it colors the water blue!

The downside is that it is rather expensive...

Hope this helps!
hmale is this the volkswagon antifreeze someone mentioned a few weeks ago? Also would this and the zerex super protector be good protection for a water cooling system? Thanks

in my quest for H2O cooling information, i came across
this thread. some of the original links are broken. it amazes me how
many webmasters don't use redirects when moving pages :rolleyes:.

here are the current links...

Royal Purple (Purple Ice)
Wynn's (radiator treatment)
Motormax (Motormax)
RMI (RMI-25)

re-cap of submitted links...

from motas
OptiShield®
HY-PER LUBE SUPER COOLANT

from hmale
CCA Coolant Additive

from Silversinksam
Fluid XP+ <-- it may be worth the extra $ € £ ¥ should you get a leak.

from zip22
ZEREX Super Protector

from wannaoc
ZEREX Super Coolant

[edit] i found this stuff: No-Rosion™. dunno if it's any good. [/edit]

thanks for the links/info :)
rich

Last edited:
What color is Zerex Racing Super Coolant? I want purple color in my tubes. Should I just buy a Purple Ice?

hey guys ... for those of you looking for anti bacterials ...

check your local water bed stores they carry a maybe 4-6oz bottle of anti bacterial solution, 1 bottle good for a queen sized bed ... that sounds like a couple drops from an eyedropper for a comp wc system (i may be a bit off as its been a really long time since i owned a water bed, and im definately new to wc'ing)

Another clear additive

Edit: this stuff lookes nearly clear and i didnt notice a difference in the tubes, but looking down into my air trap the water is kinda cloudy. /Edit

I found this stuff by luck.

Prestone® Cooling System Treatment: Easy Pour-In Protection

Even though today's engines are more complex than ever, there are still ways drivers can improve performance of their cars and trucks. In fact, some of the most important vehicle maintenance is as easy as pouring in the right fluid at the right time. Now, there's an additive that can help extend the life of your cooling system: Prestone® Cooling System Treatment.

Not only does this product protect aluminum radiators and cooling system metals, it also contains patented grafted polymer water pump additives. Developed for use in all types of coolants, Prestone Cooling System Treatment helps new coolant provide vital water pump lubrication while it refreshes the corrosion inhibition capabilities of older coolants.

While it's still important to flush and fill the cooling system regularly, not even the most thorough maintenance can provide this level of protection. Prestone Cooling System Treatment can be added conveniently to either new or used coolant and can be used with conventional or extended life antifreeze/coolants.

the site only mentions aluminum but the box says "all cooling system metals, including aluminum"

the smell is a cross between rubbing alcohol and paint, but you have to be real close to notice. sorry, no cat to test it on.

Attachments

• 18.gif
    18.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 929
Last edited:
www.swiftnets.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HydrX Coolant
2 Oz HydrX coolant

Compatibility:
Recommended for all Swiftech liquid cooled products - prohibits oxydation, formation of algea, and improves heat transfer - Mix 1 bottle to 1l (33 Oz) of purified water
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A small sidebar about it, the HydrX additive is UV reactive as well. I dont know how well it handles the anti-corrosion and anti-algae by comparision to products specially designed to handle each individually.

One thing to keep in mind with any additive you use with most silicone/pvc type flexible tubing. This tubing is porous which will allow the ccloring components of any solution to find a place to 'stain' the tubing. I have seen commets regarding HydrX, WW, Zerex, etc which state problems with tubes being stained. I would suggest going with a clear or very nearly clear additive if this is of concern.

Just a small update: information on the Zitrec A products is also available on www.zitrec.com
What's important here is that this product can be added to tap water so you don't need any demineralised, de-ionised or other water!

i am going to get 5.25 bay resev. which coolant additives is suitable for my reservior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back