• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PC's get a lot more life out of them? Your G5 could be over 10 years old since they were introduced in 2003. I call that a pretty good usable lifespan. G5's are still potent machines. I have a few myself including a watercooled beast.

Nice to hear I'm not alone withe the G5's! :) My G5 is a dual 2GHz PCI-X model from 2004. Upgraded the mem to 6GB and added a flashed PC nvidia 6800GT to help with video performance, running leopard on it. Be careful with the liquid cooled models, they coolers are prone to leaking due to neglectful maintenance and will destroy your processor cards!

A fun retro setup to me would be an NF7-S and a mobile Barton :thup:

Even a high clocked P3 setup would fun to tool around with :salute:

I have an NF7-S! Sadly no mobile barton to pair up with it though!

Never did have a P3 except for a laptop or two, only ever played around with Celerons. 700MHz Celeron was my first true OCing experiance, was able to get it up to 843MHz and played Unreal Tournament 2003 on it with my GeForce 256 AGP card! lol Oh the memories!

Unless you call running a 486 DX4 100 at 120MHz OCing, I like to think of my Celeron days as my first step into overclocking. :)

Last edited:
While I dont own earlier than 939 myself for AMD i do have an old Apple II, is that retro enough?

You know what. I blew up an old AsRock dual sata II AMD board(I think that was the name of it). It had a riser card for AM2 processors as well. So it was upgrade-able from s939 to AM2 with the riser and I killed that board with a volt mod water cooling and it killed my FX-55 at the same time. A sad day :(

You mean this?

Isn't s939 DDR and AM2 DDR2?

Or did some s939 support DDR2, and/or AM2 support DDR?

How did that work? :eh?:

EDIT:

I looked up the AM2 CPU board, and that answers my question. :bday:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813998603

That's pretty cool. Like a mini-mobo for your mobo.

yodawg.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good question. I'm guessing because they had in-between processors for AM3/AM2+ and now AM3+ also supports AM3 cpus... but now it's dead. I guess what I'm trying to say is s939 has a different pin layout, but AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ all have about the same pin layout, give or take a few pins, so they were able to make mobos foward/backward compatible with the previous/next gen CPUs, but no further. So, instead of having an add-on card they made it where it just works in the same socket instead.

That's a good question. I'm guessing because they had in-between processors for AM3/AM2+ and now AM3+ also supports AM3 cpus... but now it's dead. I guess what I'm trying to say is s939 has a different pin layout, but AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ all have about the same pin layout, give or take a few pins, so they were able to make mobos foward/backward compatible with the previous/next gen CPUs, but no further. So, instead of having an add-on card they made it where it just works in the same socket instead.

was thinking more of fm2+ socket board. I'd buy it

Hehehe... If AMD ever makes any more enthusiast-level CPUs, if they make them for the FM2 or whatever platform you might just get your wish come true. Stick with one socket, one chipset for ALL CPUs, and a few generations worth of future CPUs... I see what AMD has been doing, unlike Intel who change CPU sockets every 6 months. :rofl:

Hehehe... If AMD ever makes any more enthusiast-level CPUs, if they make them for the FM2 or whatever platform you might just get your wish come true. Stick with one socket, one chipset for ALL CPUs, and a few generations worth of future CPUs... I see what AMD has been doing, unlike Intel who change CPU sockets every 6 months. :rofl:

hope they keep their word and deliver a knockout in 2016 when new enthusiast cpu's pop. They should be able, since they hired back a lot of the design team behind the original fx's.

hope they keep their word and deliver a knockout in 2016 when new enthusiast cpu's pop. They should be able, since they hired back a lot of the design team behind the original fx's.

Lets hope so. The old school overclocking is kinda dead if you buy into Intel, and AMD apu is fun and all..... but long over due for refresh in x86 design. Fx is ok when there is 8 cores but hardly do any APU justice.

Perhaps a dual socket desktop board from AMD to stuff 2 fx chips in or something would be neat imo.

Lets hope so. The old school overclocking is kinda dead if you buy into Intel, and AMD apu is fun and all..... but long over due for refresh in x86 design. Fx is ok when there is 8 cores but hardly do any APU justice.

Perhaps a dual socket desktop board from AMD to stuff 2 fx chips in or something would be neat imo.

i'd buy it and slap two fx9590's on it just to see if i need a heater in the winter :rofl:

Link to where you saw this info please.
Last I saw, AMD has no intention of marketing any enthusiast grade CPU's.

939 and AM2 is retro? Does that mean I am a hipster for using them still?

I could see 462 or Socket 7 being called retro but 939/940/AM2 is still in use by a ton of people/businesses.

I'd have to say if it's 10 years or older, it's definitley retro.

Speaking of such, just setup my Socket A dualie for some twin cored fun, should be nice to tinker with it over the course of the next week or so. :cool:

I'd have to say if it's 10 years or older, it's definitley retro.

Speaking of such, just setup my Socket A dualie for some twin cored fun, should be nice to tinker with it over the course of the next week or so. :cool:

Well my Opty 170 will be ten years old in about 6 months.... Would rather preserve this set up and swap caps for solid ones and use the AM2 windsors really. A little newer, but time flies when having fun, soon to be retro if we follow that 10 years retro deal.

Can't wait to see your sA dualie in action Doc!

i'll post it when i get home

here, however i read it somewhere else but can`t find the source

From Fudzilla and too vague. Not exactly a reliable source. Doesn't say anything about enthusiast anything. You interpret what isn't there. I'll search myself.

Back