• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AM2 retro but not retro meh

OK so I decided to go with AM2 instead of s939. It'll be just about all I need but not just enough, have headroom for upgrading. The s939 Opty 170 would be about the best cpu for that platform and it's getting preserved instead.

So here's a few pictures of my GBR set up. That GBR stands for Ghetto Beautiful Retro. Trents gave me that idea after so elegantly verbalized about my cooling ideas.

Went from i7 3770K 4.9ghz to AMD 6400+ lid-less one of a ghetto kind 940-pin organic microPGA 90nm previous 4ghz F3 Windsor. Here's a vali of that Ghetto 4ghz really quick. So this cpu is still in pretty good shape.

Running dual 120.2 rads, nice blue color scheme and using only one fan at the moment so I haven't ventured into overclocking this beast yet.

But for some pictures and ghetto eyeball candies..... here thay bee!

Attachments

• DSC09060.JPG
    DSC09060.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • DSC09063.JPG
    DSC09063.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
  • DSC09066.JPG
    DSC09066.JPG
    743.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC09065.JPG
    DSC09065.JPG
    598.5 KB · Views: 155
From Fudzilla and too vague. Not exactly a reliable source. Doesn't say anything about enthusiast anything. You interpret what isn't there. I'll search myself.

And this was two months earlier.

OK so I decided to go with AM2 instead of s939. It'll be just about all I need but not just enough, have headroom for upgrading. The s939 Opty 170 would be about the best cpu for that platform and it's getting preserved instead.

So here's a few pictures of my GBR set up. That GBR stands for Ghetto Beautiful Retro. Trents gave me that idea after so elegantly verbalized about my cooling ideas.

Went from i7 3770K 4.9ghz to AMD 6400+ lid-less one of a ghetto kind 940-pin organic microPGA 90nm previous 4ghz F3 Windsor. Here's a vali of that Ghetto 4ghz really quick. So this cpu is still in pretty good shape.

Running dual 120.2 rads, nice blue color scheme and using only one fan at the moment so I haven't ventured into overclocking this beast yet.

But for some pictures and ghetto eyeball candies..... here thay bee!

NICE! Rock on !

Found that myself last night. ;)
It seems we may have something to look forward to. Sorry for the doubt.

~Scotty :)

Can`t wait to see what they come up with:clap:
they better take on 2016gen i7 extreme's otherwise i`m jumping ship.....i just hope the 8350 will be good enough for two more years

Can`t wait to see what they come up with:clap:
they better take on 2016gen i7 extreme's otherwise i`m jumping ship.....i just hope the 8350 will be good enough for two more years

oh that 8350 will be good for a long time. Just take good care of it and overclock it! :thup:

too hot to keep it over 4.2 with the curent "rads". I need to get me some SR-1 action:D

EDIT: What block are you using for the ghetto beauty?

Lol, it's a thermal take block from some years back. I did a complete mod inside and out. It cools processors very well. In it's original design, it did pretty good, but was dangerous to have an acrylic top plate.

Looked like this. Known for cracking at the screw holes.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 131
I still have a couple Socket 7 systems around. The first system was built in 2002. The second a few years later.

System #1:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 1.06 -> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
Nvidia GeForce4 ti4600 -> Nvidia GeForce FX5900

System #2:
Athlon XP 2000+ -> Athlon XP 2400+
ASUS A7V400-MX
Nvidia GeForce4 ti4600

You know a system is retro when you run it and it seems as slow as snail snot. I wonder if the systems we have today will seem as slow in another 10-12 years?

Come to think of it one of my first computers was a Lobo Max-80 with a Zilog Z80B/5MHz. It had 128KB of RAM. I bought it around 1983. It seemed as slow as snail snot when I compared it to the PC clone I bought in 1995 with an Intel 486DX2/66MHz. It had 8MB of RAM.

Just pulled this from my son's computer, it was my first build. I gave him the I5 2500k/Asrock Extreme 4 that was collecting dust in my closet. Anyhow, it's a Asus A8N32Sli Deluxe 939 board with a 4400+ on it. I'm looking forward to push on it when I get some time to bench again.
View attachment 145858
View attachment 145859

Last edited:
Nice setup ManDrake. That Asus board is pure awesome to OC with, had a couple of those through the years. You should have no issues hitting big clocks aside from the cold boot issues if you go that route on the cooling.

You know a system is retro when you run it and it seems as slow as snail snot. I wonder if the systems we have today will seem as slow in another 10-12 years?

I can tell you the AM2 windsor I'm using is no comparison to the i7, but I could compare it to say a G2010 or something...

Floating point performance comparison at CPUworld.

Intel Pentium E6700 ?
102%
Intel Celeron G1830 ?
101.9%
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 ?
100.6%
Intel Celeron G1630 ?
100.3%
Intel Pentium G2010 ?
100.3%
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ ?
100%
Intel Pentium G840 ?
98.6%
Intel Pentium G640 ?
98.5%
Intel Pentium E6600 ?
98.2%
Intel Celeron G1820 ?
98.1%
Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 ?
97.9%

Nice setup ManDrake. That Asus board is pure awesome to OC with, had a couple of those through the years. You should have no issues hitting big clocks aside from the cold boot issues if you go that route on the cooling.
Thanks Shrimpy, I've been wanting to take it from the lil guy and see what it can do for a while. I've never touched, ie overclocked, this board or cpu since I've had it. I built it in 2006 and it's been running strong ever since. It should be fun to Oc it and yes I'll be trying the cold water on it when the temps come down this winter. What temps is the CB usually at on these things and is it the mobo or the Cpu or both that CB?

I'm running an a8n32-sli myself, in my main system! Great board, would of my Opteron 180 to 3ghz but it runs to hot for me to be comfortable with, at that speed. Not until I go water!

Couldn't find any good retro like Rad fans. I pulled this out of the box.

Not terribly loud, but I can't hear it over Pandora anyways :shrug:

What would be considered Retro Rad fan??!

Attachments

• DSC09068.JPG
    DSC09068.JPG
    597.1 KB · Views: 92
My very first AMD was a 939 3200+, which I upgraded to an Opteron 165. There was a socket before that, 754, but it's pretty much useless. The 939 is the oldest socket that is still viable, and it only supports DDR.

My very first AMD was a 939 3200+, which I upgraded to an Opteron 165. There was a socket before that, 754, but it's pretty much useless. The 939 is the oldest socket that is still viable, and it only supports DDR.

Nah for the time they where pretty good. It's what s939 was built off of and there where only Opteron Dual cores on s939 Edit I take that back there where other Athlon dual cores as well. my mistake.

But here's a s754 chip I found that liked LN2! It was good for somewhere between -50c through -75c after some trial and error. This chip was good for 2.8ghz with a mild chilled (ice in a bucket) water, that's how I discovered it just kept going but lost stability at 3ghz.... So in the end, it came out to 3200mhz and was a Paris of cores. 130nm.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2606835

The only not cold bugged chip I've found yet.... for this socket

Attachments

• image_id_876047.jpeg
    image_id_876047.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
See all the caps on this motherboard? I'm going to replace every stinking one of them with nice new solid caps.

:soda:

Ya.... gonna fire this one up REAL soon for testing. Bought it and still haven't messed with it. I'm a bad purchaser... :screwy:

Attachments

• DSC09069.JPG
    DSC09069.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
It'll be worth it. These boards aren't getting younger, but I feel a cap refresh would keep this board usable for years to come with nice clean power supply.

Not sure how it would effect overclocking, but either it'll do good, or I'll brick the board....

Back