• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rewriting and combining the stickies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

I am going to make an attempt to sort through and combine all the WC stickies as my great contribution to this forum. It has needed done for a long time and no one has done it. I will attack each aspect, one from top to bottom on the sticky page, at a time and when everything is done, I will introduce another aspect. Edited content will be reflected in the first post. Oh, and please, PLEASE, don't sticky this. When all the information is gathered, I will make one final compilation post to be stickied.

Everything is open to debate/comment/suggestions. This is not the final order. Help me out grammar and content wise as this won't be easy. That being said: RES VS T-LINE!

Res vs. Tee line (Jan 20th 2005)
Res: 208 (47.60%)
T: 156 (35.70%)
Neither: 37 (8.47%)
Both: 36 (8.24%)

* Marks results affected by variables

Res pros:
Easy fill/bleed point
*Aesthetics
Most convenient

Res cons:
*Flow restriction
*Longer tubing runs
Can break
More expensive

Tee pros:
*Shorter tubing runs
*Less restriction
Nothing to break
Less expensive

Tee cons:
Harder to implement properly
Not as 'pretty'
Harder to bleed

Neither pros:
Less restriction of all options
No point of failure

Neither cons:
Hardest to fully bleed

Both pros:
'Easiest' to fill/bleed
Best of both worlds

Both cons:
Most restriction of all methods
Several points of failure
Worst of both worlds

Reservoirs:
Theoretically, the reservoir is the most convenient method to set up in terms of functionality. Filling is as easy as putting water in the opening and turning the pump on. Depending on reservoir design, restriction can be minimal or devastating. Some reservoir designs have one inlet and one outlet, some have multiple inlet/outlets and others have any variation imaginable.

Bay reservoirs typically have one/two inlets and one outlet. This allows a continuos loop with 'minimal' restriction. Some variations have two inlets and one outlet. This allows for multi-outlet water blocks to have both outlets lead directly to the reservoir without the need for a wyee-fitting, thus reducing the restriction on the loop by that much more (albeit a small amount but enough...).

Although the most convenient (arguably), weaknesses are apparent. Clear bay reservoirs are prone to cracking and glue failing, however not all users report this happening. A clear acrylic bay reservoir could last a lifetime or two weeks, or not even that long depending if the UPS guys think it's a football. Also, leaks can develop. Over time, the glue can give causing small leaks leading to a much larger dam breaking. Alcohol is also bad for acrylic resevoirs. It can causes them to crack, so when choosing additives count them out. Ls7Corvete proves this here: http://gallery.pimprig.com/data/1/5450100_0031-med.jpg

The largest problem with reservoirs in general is restriction caused by the barbs, most importantly on the outlet to the pump. This is a common problem with all barbs in a water-cooling loop. Several vendors have overcome this problem by enlarging the outlet, which almost completely solves this problem. On acrylic bay reservoirs, the threaded outlet can be enlarged with a file or tap and then the new barb can be PVC-glued into place. Some reservoir manufacturers have designed their reservoirs to latch directly onto the pump so no outlet barb is required completely eliminating restriction on the pump inlet. While this is the best performing variation of a reservoir, the only pre-manufactured one to my knowledge is for Eheim pumps however this should not stop you from fabricating one of your own.

A common myth with reservoirs is the 'pool' of water aids in cooling the water. The only time where this has been effectively implemented is with large basin reservoirs - 30-gallon drums. The water just doesn't sit long enough or have enough surface area in a simple resevoir to effectivly aid in cooling.

There is one last thing to mention with reservoirs and it is the most important factor in how a system with a reservoir performs: setup error. Depending on where and how the reservoir is implemented, a large temperature swing (for the better) can result in design change. It is not uncommon to see setups where a pump is pumping directly into the reservoir. This 'CAN' cause stress on the joints of acrylic bay reservoirs and cause them to fail faster (depending on the pump used) as well as lowering the total pressure in the loop. The ideal location of reservoir to pump is the reservoir feeding the inlet to the pump. Also, the location of a reservoir in a loop can lengthen the amount of tubing used, increasing the overall restriction of the system. Both topics will be discussed more later.

Tee lines:
Tee-lines, as the name suggests, are a simple Tee fitting. In it's basic form, it's two joining barbs in a line with a third sticking out of the top. Two ends connect in the loop while the other gets an extended length of tubing for filling the system.

There really isn't a whole lot that can be said about the t-line setup. Two ends connect the system flow while the third acts as a reservoir with the extended length of tubing holding the excess water. Location of the tee-line in the loop is probably the most argued aspect of the tee-line setup. Some argue that the very top of the loop is the best place for the tee-line while others swear right before the pump is the best. In all actuality, neither is correct - both aspects have different pros and cons. With the tee at the top of the loop bleeding will occur faster as air naturally rises. With the tee at the pump inlet, filling the system is made easier as water entering the tee automatically fills and primes the pump. The downside to this is it takes longer to bleed.

In all truth, the position of the tee in the loop makes absolutely no performance difference, as long as the 'reservoir line' is aiming to the top of the case. If the system is bled outside of the case, the tee can be moved to the top for faster bleeding. If in the case, the case can be turned to move the tee. Also, with the pump pushing water through the system, eventually all air will work itself out anyway. The only deciding factor on tee location should be preference, and what causes the least amount of extra tubing.

Tee lines should be sealed at the end. Period. It's just a safety thing. I wouldn't spend a grand on a computer and five hundred on water-cooling only to knock the case over and have water spill everywhere. Anything can be used to seal it that fits the tubing, just don't use batteries. Nothing more needs to be said here.

There are a couple basic principles to follow when installing a tee line setup. One is to avoid using the 90-degree bend for the normal system flow. This can be used in cases where space is a factor but it causes unwanted restriction. Also, avoid pumping into a tee where the 90 degree is used and the pump is pumping directly into the tee on the non-90 degree angle (pump ==^== 'reservoir') where the flow goes the direction of the arrow. This will reduce pressure in the loop, which is bad.

There have been some reports of a suction effect on the tee line. What this is, is when the pump is turned on, the water level will fall (sometimes rise) in the tee that isn't sealed. When the tee is sealed, this effect should be greatly eliminated altogether or reduced significantly. I have not seen anything about this affecting performance however I haven't followed that thread for more than a couple of days.

One final note, a tee line should add about as much restriction as a single inlet/outlet reservoir if all other variables are kept the same, including barb internal diameter. Like reducing restriction on a reservoir, any added resistance can be overcome by using a larger sized barb than what fits the tubing.

Neither:
Using neither tee line nor reservoir is an interesting concept. The basics behind this are with no fill point comes no added restriction. Setting up a system like this is easier than first thought, simply build the system, submerse and run the pump in a bucket, then when all the air is worked out of the system, slip the open-ended tubing over the pump inlet UNDER WATER. The only downside to this technique is that if any air is left in the system, there is no escape for it.

Both:
Using both a tee and a reservoir is more of a failsafe method than anything. The tee allows for point source filling for areas where filling from the reservoir can't reach and also the bleeding capabilities of both a tee line and a reservoir. The major downside to this method is the increased resistance and pressure drop. It's the best of both worlds, but also the worst of each.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I think you should hit the high points and then link to a more detailed description, you could also link to existing stickies. Maybe have it all in one thread and link to posts lower down in the thread for more detail?

That I can do, I just typed that up at work. I can add pictures too eventually. The problem with linking to the origional threads is that while the information is there, it may take sorting through several pages to get down to buisness. (the link for the poll results are to the origional thread)

Oh pls put a section on the ill effects of adding alcohol to an acrylic res. The only time you see this mentioned is when someone is talking about their leaking res. Maybe some nice red lettering is in order.

Up. I edited a small alcohol section in the res section. I'm adding a bong section in a little bit/later tonight. I can't add pictures as I was using WizardJames' free hosting and since his server went down and I don't feel like using photobucket or anything like that, they will wait.

Ditto....on the server thing.

Nice work, keep it up, I have been hoping someone would do this for a long time. No one is gonna look through the dozens of stickies.

Bongs:

Bongs take a special breed of person to implement. They require maintenance every day and can grow nasty if given time. They also take more powerful pumps than normal water-cooling loops. Just like everything else in the cooling world, they have advantages and disadvantages.

Bong Pros:
possible sub-ambient temperature
cheap
easy to make/setup

Bong Cons:
every-day maintenance
usually ugly
need more powerful pump

The principles behind a bong:
1) Air moves across an object causing it to evaporate and take heat with it
2) Several small objects have more surface area than a single object of the same mass

Bong Theory:
Bongs can be explained very simply with an analogy. You go swimming on a hot summer day and are in the pool from noon to nine PM, the heater kicked on around seven. The water temperature was kept about 80 degrees F. When you get out of the pool, the ambient temperature has dropped to the 70s. But as you climb out, the wind blows. When you feel it, you get extremely cold and begin to shiver as it feels like it’s in the 50s out. THAT is evaporative cooling.

In a bong situation, water is taken into the air and dropped. A small portion of the water then evaporates, taking with it an amount heat proportional to the amount of water evaporated. Since evaporation uses a lot of energy, most of the heat is drawn out of the water droplet.

The efficiency of a bong depends on certain things. The most important is factor is the humidity level of the ambient air. If the air is really humid, then it will reach a point of saturation and won't be able to absorb any more water. If the air is dry then it will be able to hold a lot of water. The more water that's evaporated, the more heat that's removed from the system. It's like toweling yourself off after a hot shower. If the room is all steamy when you get out and the towel is wet from it, it won't absorb much more water. If the room isn't steamy, the towel will absorb a lot more water.

At the top of the bong is some kind of spreading object. Usually, it's a showerhead, which are primarily used because they force the water into droplets small enough to create a lot of surface area but large enough not to be forced out of the bong. A golden rule of cooling is the greater the surface area, the greater the efficiency. Misters, such as those in grocery stores, can be used but they have such a high restriction that the extra dispersion of water would be negated by the backpressure on the pump. They can also create too fine a spray and an unnecessary amount of water will evaporate or spray out the top requiring more filling.

At the base of a bong is a splitter. Part of it goes out for air to travel through, the other goes into some form of a reservoir or bucket where the pump feeds from. It is vital to have this splitter or else no air would be able to enter the bong and that would completely eliminate any purpose of running that system.

As for the water to be used, distilled is ideally the best. Tap water will work if some form of inhabitant is used to keep the creatures at bay. If you use tap water, some kind of inline filter should be used before the pump intake to catch the nasties.

Something to note is that a two-foot bong with a fan on it should easily cool today's processor and video card. It's not unheard of to have a six-foot bong cool three, four, or five computers with ease. The higher the bong is, the more efficient the cooling capabilities are. Higher and dryer = better

Several designs out there try and target certain aspects of this. The most common is to make the bong taller. This allows the falling water to come into contact with more air. Another method is to fill a bong with Ping-Pong balls. When the water hits the balls, it spreads out across the surface of the sphere, increasing the surface area.

The easiest method to increase the performance of the bong is to put a fan on the extension BLOWING IN. This forces more air through the bong creating 'more' surface area. The reason 'blowing in' is emphasized is that when two mediums with different temperature run parallel but also in opposite directions, not only is more contact allowed, but it also increases the amount of heat transferred between them. Also, you don't want to pull the water out of the bottom of the bong. When using a fan, it is essential to make sure that the water isn't being forced out of the top of the bong. If it is, you will have to replace extra water every day as well as lose some of the chilled water.

Info about the uberbong and Volenti go here but it's almost time to leave work. Also about pelt cooling with bongs...

Useful Links
Original thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=321055
Uberbong: http://www.ku74.net/uberbong/
Volenti’s (could be passively cooled) pipe bong: http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=4469

Last edited:
It should be added that the misters may make too fine of particles, too small of particles will be blown out of the top of the bong, increasing the amount of filling needed and not helping with the cooling.(Or so I hear, never tried a bong before)

Bump for a great Idea, also i would love to help if you want to delegate some tasks i would love to do it.

i am guessing that water blocks and radiators are the most complicated to write about but some others we can knock off the list fairly easy.

BTW, When I look over this I think alot of stuff could be better explained in a table.

bong stuff got moved... I just don't have time anymore. 10 hour days mon-fri + 4 hours on sat then girlfriend / misc work after work.

Back