• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router/Hub question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kalivos

Alright, so. I'm ordering Charter Cable for my computer on Thursday. Here's the issue at hand:
I have both a Linksys Hub and a Linksys Router, but I can only find the hub.

My brother says that I can route the internet connection via the hub and don't need the router, the router just adds extra protection. Is this true or what? I'm not good with networking at all and am curious about this. It would be nice if I could share the Cable connection to the three pc's in the house through the hub and not have to dig around some more for the router. Thank.

well. WIth my serverice, I have to tipe in my username and password in my routher for it to connect with my DSL modem. Cable might be different though :shrug:

I would use the router if you have both hub and router. The router will allow you more function and will also act as a NAT Firewall (incoming). The hub is an open end device that has no functions other than opening you to extra connectivity.

You will not have any real need for a hub until your router ports are full. Your router will allow for 255 port connections so once your router ports are full you may then route to the hub and use more connections.

If you just use the hub and not the router, then you will have no ability to forward ports to individual machines and often will lose the ability to fileshare, etc.

R

yea the router comes with extra protection, and you dont have to connect to the internet manually. but one of the disadvantages you will need to turn on the firewall for certain programs that you want to use. Could comes tricky sometimes

Without the NAT function of the router you can only put one PC on the Internet at a time. This is because you usually only get one IP from your ISP.

Yep, I work for a cable company. You'll need to have 1 IP for each computer for the hub to work. Charter will sell a 2nd one to you, but not a third. They do a max of 2 in most areas. Router will work better. Cheaper too, than paying the premium for an extra IP address.

Without doubt, make sure you have a router. Bombardments of spyware/virus attacks are VERY common if you have no protection. Its the most common "newbie" question. "why do i get all these viruses?" Without proper protection from the outside world you will get attacked.

Goodluck

Back