• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Rumor: AMD FX-8350 -Piledriver- to Launch in Q3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Please quote me, if you would, where I said the entire lineup failed. I have been talking specifically and exclusively about the 8150. I've ever stated, at least twice, that at the right price they were decent. And that the lower end bits are good due to Intel's locked chips in those price ranges. Hell I've even said this twice now. Please read my posts.

I do hope I'm not the person you're calling a troll. That'd be offensive.

Now if you would like to talk about the lower end FX bits, equally priced PhIIs seem to be doing rather well against the FX chips in your data.

Speaking of your data. Clean, specific, OS's? Spec ram timings?
Or are we talking about people's 24/7 OS?

If you'd like something to straw man with, we can talk about 77w vs 125w :D

You mean like this?
I too live right now, and right now BD looses in everything I do.

Last I checked BD was more than "one" chip. Now if you meant one specific CPU you'll have to forgive us because saying "BD" doesn't convey that.

I do hope I'm not the person you're calling a troll. That'd be offensive.

First, did I say "BobNova"?
Second, (the "offensive" definition)
Troll: A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

I think I specifically said "someone trolling"

troll 1 (trl)
v. trolled, troll·ing, trolls
v.tr.
a. To fish for by trailing a baited line from behind a slowly moving boat.
b. To fish in by trailing a baited line: troll the lake for bass.
c. To trail (a baited line) in fishing.
2. Slang To patrol (an area) in search for someone or something: "[Criminals] troll bus stations for young runaways" (Pete Axthelm).

Maybe it's just me but I fail to see the "offensive" part in those definitions. Unless it's from the perspective of a fish I guess maybe.

Edit - As for the data. We never "claimed" it was 100% accurate. Which is why there is a margin for error. But EVERY submission was verified with screenshots (and yes they were all 64 bit Windows 7) and give an approximate expectation of the performance someone can expect from a given CPU. Now you mention that Phenom II's doing very well compared to the BD's in the chart. Yes they do, however you fail to take into account that those same Phenom II's either ARE at their top end OC's or don't have much further to go and almost all of them are either liquid cooled or a few using very very good air cooling with lots of airflow. Whereas all the FX CPU's can easily hit 4GHz on air, in most cases even able to hit 4.4-4.5 on a good air cooler, and with LC (like mine) come close to or hit 5GHz.

Last edited:
Location >> Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs > [FRONTPAGE] Rumor: AMD FX-8350 -Piledriver- to Launch in Q3

Thread title >> Rumor: AMD FX-8350 -Piledriver- to Launch in Q3

The next to last two lines of the very first post is where the thread actually headed to the wrong track and has degenerated considerably. Those last two lines said >>
According to the website Hexus.net, AMD is preparing Piledriver CPUs sometime in August. This is welcome news for AMD fans who have pretty much dispaired since Bulldozer debuted last year. It wasn’t a bad CPU per se’, but compared with Ivy Bridge, it’s just not competitive. No need for the last sentence in AMD forum section or it would seem best left unsaid. Users can and should make up their minds without being primed before they even leave OCF to visit another forum altogether.

Put such stuff that is setup for a deterioration of the topic in general cpus and let the the degeneration begin. I will not have too look at the thread since I spend the majority of my time in the AMD Cpu Section helping people with overclocking their cpus. Those type of forum users have an AMD cpu and are in the correct forum for dealing with an AMD cpu. Fighting the AMD vs Intel scenario is best done in the general cpu section as the threads get to being AMD vs Intel and Intel really has no place within AMD Cpu forum section, IMO.

+1 bravo sir

Way to ignore the specific mention of an 8150 lower in that post.

Most C3 PhIIs will do 4GHz happily on a decent air cooler, my 955 does something silly like 4.9GHz for single threaded stuff. That's rare of course.
I've seen a fair number of PhIIs in the 4.2 to 4.4 range. BD does clock higher, no argument there. It also produces a lot more heat in my experience, enough to require a hell of a cooler and heat the room up nicely.

Troll wise, I recommend the internet definition, seeing as that is how you were using the word: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Soo in other news did you guys see that John Bruno ( the guy behind the trinity apu) left AMD to join Apple??!? I wonder what this will have in store for future AMD cpu's (steamroller) or Excavator

Soo in other news did you guys see that John Bruno ( the guy behind the trinity apu) left AMD to join Apple??!? I wonder what this will have in store for future AMD cpu's (steamroller) or Excavator

Hmmm, I foresee AMD apu inside phones (?)
That would be really nice, if they were x86 compatible I'm in! That I'd buy...
It would be like the smallest portable gaming pc ever, for me that is. Others perhaps would see it as a useless power draining gadget. :-/

Hmmm, I foresee AMD apu inside phones (?)
That would be really nice, if they were x86 compatible I'm in! That I'd buy...
It would be like the smallest portable gaming pc ever, for me that is. Others perhaps would see it as a useless power draining gadget. :-/

The article I saw it in said they recruited him to help work with their chipset designs, but didn't discuss much past that. We (well some) all know how secretive Apple can be when it comes to crap like this.

It doesn't really matter what the thread is about. If it talks about Bulldozer or PD eventually someone trolling the threads with an intel agenda is going to come in and start bashing the CPU's. We see it over and over and over and I for one am tired of it.

Its seems that everyone who is defending amd thinks that everyone who disagrees with them has and intel agenda. trust me, there is nothing that i would like to see more than intel to get roundhouse kicked in the face by amd if they brought out a kick *** chip. It is pretty much in everyones ( even the most die hard intel fanboys) interest to see amd do well. I personally hate giving intel my money. But if i have £200+ to spend on a chip, its jsut a no brainer at the moment.

There is also so much talk about benchmarks its doing my head it. For the last time who gives a rats *** about benchmarks apart from those who want to do it specifically. If thats the case and you are buying a cpu just to bench buy intel fine. But as it is, the majority of people dont care about this, and as has been said 100 times already amd fall behind in pretty much all real world tasks that are important to the average user. As bob said when you get to the low end chips its a different story. But as soon as you hit the £150 ( 2500K/3550K) mark amd is just not an option. Amd die hards whine and complain about benchmarks being biased, and so what if they are? They are not a fair reflection of a cpus performance so stop grouching about it. Now if amd kicked the crap out of a intl chip in real world tasks but then fell behind in benchmarks i would see your point. But this isnt the case. under £120/30 amds are perfectly viable options. Over that they are not. Simple as. The high end chips in the FX series are flops because they cannot compete with the intels. Low end/ budget chips they are perfectly viable and possible even beat intels.

It doesn't really matter what the thread is about. If it talks about Bulldozer or PD eventually someone trolling the threads with an intel agenda is going to come in and start bashing the CPU's. We see it over and over and over and I for one am tired of it.
I wonder if this is a former member reincarnated in a bubba-hotep...:p

Anyway, its in General CPU now... so...Hackles up kids!

I wonder if this is a former member reincarnated in a bubba-hotep...:p

Anyway, its in General CPU now... so...Hackles up kids!

No, I don't think hackles up.

This thread in general is very close to outliving its usefulness. If anyone has any info or rumors or anything to do with Piledriver to share, please feel free to do so. If all you come to do is continue a BD vs Intel argument, just don't post. It won't take much to close the thread at this point, even if it's in Gen CPU.

Last edited:
Its seems that everyone who is defending amd thinks that everyone who disagrees with them has and intel agenda. trust me, there is nothing that i would like to see more than intel to get roundhouse kicked in the face by amd if they brought out a kick *** chip. It is pretty much in everyones ( even the most die hard intel fanboys) interest to see amd do well. I personally hate giving intel my money. But if i have £200+ to spend on a chip, its jsut a no brainer at the moment.

There is also so much talk about benchmarks its doing my head it. For the last time who gives a rats *** about benchmarks apart from those who want to do it specifically. If thats the case and you are buying a cpu just to bench buy intel fine. But as it is, the majority of people dont care about this, and as has been said 100 times already amd fall behind in pretty much all real world tasks that are important to the average user. As bob said when you get to the low end chips its a different story. But as soon as you hit the £150 ( 2500K/3550K) mark amd is just not an option. Amd die hards whine and complain about benchmarks being biased, and so what if they are? They are not a fair reflection of a cpus performance so stop grouching about it. Now if amd kicked the crap out of a intl chip in real world tasks but then fell behind in benchmarks i would see your point. But this isnt the case. under £120/30 amds are perfectly viable options. Over that they are not. Simple as. The high end chips in the FX series are flops because they cannot compete with the intels. Low end/ budget chips they are perfectly viable and possible even beat intels.

Its seems that everyone who is defending amd thinks that everyone who disagrees with them has and intel agenda.

Then perhaps you should just accept we don't agree with YOU when you expend all of your energees trying to hammer home your point.

But if i have £200+ to spend on a chip, its just a no brainer at the moment.

I could spend a thousand £ on a chip first thing tomorrow if i wanted to, but i don't need it any more than i need a £240 2700K.

What i need is exactly what i have and i find that £135 chip better than the £170 Intel equivalent that i put through its paces just as vigorously, are you happy with that? can you accept that? or do you think that makes me a fanboi?

amd fall behind in pretty much all real world tasks that are important to the average user.

Not by my findings. I don't agree. Am i a fanboi now?

Really? Ten minutes after I posted to stop this BD vs. Intel thing? You just can't help yourself can you?

aaaand... /thread.

Upon request, thread reopened. Try to keep it on the topic of Piledriver people. This is not a thread to bash each other's heads in about Bulldozer vs. Sandy/Ivy Bridge.

Except AMD doesn't know how to price things anymore.. they lost the engineering edge and are now playing catch up with Intel CPU wise and when the BD came out, it cost slightly more then the intel sandybridge CPUs.

The problem I have with that blog post is he doesn't post enough info for us to look at to see what he's using and how he's coming at those results.

Yeah its very thin..... i think we are going to have to wait until September or October for Vishera Data

If you read that article, it's not a "revamped chip". It's a new Piledriver CPU with the "Athlon" name. I'm guessing it's going to be a locked version of one of the FX cpu's. Probably the 2 module one.

If you read that article, it's not a "revamped chip". It's a new Piledriver CPU with the "Athlon" name. I'm guessing it's going to be a locked version of one of the FX cpu's. Probably the 2 module one.

My point being though, I'm sure most of us would rather see the new Vishera models versus something like this, yes it's the new piledriver blah blah blah. What I meant by revamped is they simply continued on with the athlon series versus creating a new series like they did when the fx cpu's came out.

It's the same as Intel keeping the "i3, i5, i7" when they moved to IB. It creates continuity. With the last few gens Athlon has been used as the "budget" model name. I think they just decided to continue that instead of coming up with some new name and people would have to figure out what that meant. By doing this people will see the name Athlon and immediately identify that with the lower priced range of CPU's from this series.

Back