• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Rumor] Nvidia GTX 980 Ti or Titan X (GM200)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
speaking of 4k i'm positive i read a review that shows the 970 and 980 choking a little at 4k with high settings. i can't find it for the life of me. anybody know the one?

EDIT: Here it is. At 4k the 9 series starts breaking even with the 7 series or even losing sometimes. Still great for the price but it makes me think memory overclocking might be a big deal on these at 4k.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,21.html

Last edited:
I think it'd be more of a side grade and you definitely be paying quite a bit out of pocket even after selling the 670s.

That's what I was thinking. Ugh. Why can't I win the lottery...

speaking of 4k i'm positive i read a review that shows the 970 and 980 choking a little at 4k with high settings. i can't find it for the life of me. anybody know the one?

EDIT: Here it is. At 4k the 9 series starts breaking even with the 7 series or even losing sometimes. Still great for the price but it makes me think memory overclocking might be a big deal on these at 4k.

More memory is needed at 4k, not just overclocking it, along with more Cuda cores or equivalent.

Seems like its right on par with single results... lagging a bit behind the 290 is the 970 (right?)... so it makes sense we see the same in SLI too. Is there a drop off I am missing?

It is slightly better for 2 290x.... and it costs the same (290x is ~$10-15 more each. I guess a big consideration here is the 100W+ power difference on each card.

More memory is needed at 4k, not just overclocking it, along with more Cuda cores or equivalent.
4GB is fine, just like the 290x has, except it runs on a larger bus. NVIDIA has new compression technology in its memory systems to help 'get over' that 256 bit hump so to speak. Perhaps its just not quite there yet, but I don't see a huge drop off proportionately. at that res either.

Seems like its right on par with single results... lagging a bit behind the 290 is the 970 (right?)... so it makes sense we see the same in SLI too. Is there a drop off I am missing?

It is slightly better for 2 290x.... and it costs the same (290x is ~$10-15 more each. I guess a big consideration here is the 100W+ power difference on each card.

4GB is fine, just like the 290x has, except it runs on a larger bus. NVIDIA has new compression technology in its memory systems to help 'get over' that 256 bit hump so to speak. Perhaps its just not quite there yet, but I don't see a huge drop off proportionately. at that res either.

if you compare the same games at 2160p vs 1440p the 780 starts to pull ahead a bit at the higher resolution. it's not a massive difference but it shows something is happening there. not even in all games which is weird but if you compare them all there's a pattern of losing ground to the 7 series at 4k.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
either way i'm probably going to go sli with a couple gigabyte g1 970's. i didn't realize before but when you sli you also get almost double the bonus from overclocking too so it should be a pretty sweet setup. i just want to see some numbers from the new 980ti to make sure it's not a big mistake. if dual 970's is only 10-15% better i'll just get the single card unless the price is just stupid.

either way i'm probably going to go sli with a couple gigabyte g1 970's. i didn't realize before but when you sli you also get almost double the bonus from overclocking too so it should be a pretty sweet setup. i just want to see some numbers from the new 980ti to make sure it's not a big mistake. if dual 970's is only 10-15% better i'll just get the single card unless the price is just stupid.

If you can hold off a bit longer, I'd wait and see what Nvidia's flagship will be like in regards to performance. Single card is still the best way to go, even with the 9 series's awesome scaling. Problem being we're at the mercy of both the green & red team's multi-card driver profiles release delays for all the "good" games still.

if you compare the same games at 2160p vs 1440p the 780 starts to pull ahead a bit at the higher resolution. it's not a massive difference but it shows something is happening there. not even in all games which is weird but if you compare them all there's a pattern of losing ground to the 7 series at 4k.
View attachment 154876
View attachment 154877

wat, how do 780 tis get such a high score? They do not have enough RAM for 4k, I would say 4GB is the minimum limit, Skyrim at 4k gets near to 3.6~ GB iirc, I remember sweating when I was playing it seeing MSI Afterburner's graph edge closer and closer to max. Eh, I guess i'll have to wait till I have ~1k so I can get two 980s.

In other news:

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-GeForce...=UTF8&qid=1413098410&sr=8-11&keywords=GTX+980

That is the best looking shroud I have ever seen in my entire life. Nerdgasm. Need m0niez!

Last edited:
Notice the settings... I didn't see AA mentioned. No AA = less vram needed. ;)

If you can hold off a bit longer, I'd wait and see what Nvidia's flagship will be like in regards to performance. Single card is still the best way to go, even with the 9 series's awesome scaling. Problem being we're at the mercy of both the green & red team's multi-card driver profiles release delays for all the "good" games still.

true. i wish sli/xfire just worked the same no matter what without needing special drivers. oh well.

If they release a 980ti that isn't so expensive as to not be worth the cost/performance I'll get one. If it's less than 10% better than a 980, for $200 more, I'll most likely just get the 980. Or whatever AMD comes out with to compete with the 980 (fingers crossed, I do like AMD).

Back