• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1600x upgrade suggestion/advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Southpawjoe

Registered
I'm looking to do just to do a slight upgrade to my rig, but not looking to spend more than $500 atm. Just not sure what would be the biggest upgrade for performance. I play mostly Black Desert Online and CoD Modernware Warzone mode. I run at 1920x1080 with mid to low settings and get anywhere from 90-120 fps. This is my current setup:

AMD Ryzen 1600x @ 3.9GHZ
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000
ASUS Prime X370-Pro
Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X
Asus 27" 144hz 1ms
Crucial M2 Drive
Windows 10 64bit

Ryzen 3900x which is around $415ish or so depending on where you look is what I was eyeballing for a cpu. Which seems to be the last upgrade I can do for my motherboard.

or

GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER which is also around $420ish is what I was eyeballing.

Anyone have any experience with similar choices that has any suggestions on what would be the biggest boost in performance (fps)?. Any help/suggestions would be helpful!

I would do neither tbh. The 2060 will not provide any more FPS on average, some games will run better some won’t. The Titan just has way more vram, which is a big help in games like warzone which loves vram.

Going for the 3900x may provide a few extra frames, I couldn’t say how much, but it will help a little. With the X370 board the 3900x/3950x will be the final cpu upgrades you can do without changing the motherboard and so I wouldn’t say it’s a terrible idea to purchase them. But the FPS gains will not be huge.

You may be better off sitting on that money if you can, until Nvidia and AMD release the next generation of graphics cards. If they are as good as the rumours suggest then you will be picking up 2080 performance for 2060 prices and that will be a good upgrade to go for. As it is right now, both of those options of upgrade you are looking at will not really increase your FPS to the point where you think you were glad you spent $400.

I would do neither tbh. The 2060 will not provide any more FPS on average, some games will run better some won’t. The Titan just has way more vram, which is a big help in games like warzone which loves vram.

Going for the 3900x may provide a few extra frames, I couldn’t say how much, but it will help a little. With the X370 board the 3900x/3950x will be the final cpu upgrades you can do without changing the motherboard and so I wouldn’t say it’s a terrible idea to purchase them. But the FPS gains will not be huge.

You may be better off sitting on that money if you can, until Nvidia and AMD release the next generation of graphics cards. If they are as good as the rumours suggest then you will be picking up 2080 performance for 2060 prices and that will be a good upgrade to go for. As it is right now, both of those options of upgrade you are looking at will not really increase your FPS to the point where you think you were glad you spent $400.

Thanks for the info! Yea pretty much everyone I have talked to has said pretty much the same thing. Let me ask you this though, what if I bought both the Ryzen 3900x and the GeForce RTX 2060 super, would that $850ish be worth the upgrade together?

Thanks for the info! Yea pretty much everyone I have talked to has said pretty much the same thing. Let me ask you this though, what if I bought both the Ryzen 3900x and the GeForce RTX 2060 super, would that $850ish be worth the upgrade together?

I wouldn’t say so.

Put it this way, I have an r5 1600 (similar processor) and a 5700xt which has a bit more power than the 2060 and is closer to the 2070 in performance. In warzone I am getting roughly 85-120 FPS and that isn’t on max settings. So your Titan is getting the same as me. I am not sure what settings you are on but if you are on max then it is beating my 5700xt.

Now I am sure a processor upgrade will help my FPS, however I don’t know how much by, maybe 10%?? Not sure. So maybe a processor upgrade will help you but is it worth the 3900 or should you just get a 3600/3700? And get the same results.

Only reason i'm aiming at a 3900 would be for a longer term investment since I could upgrade the mobo for the newer pcie 4.0 later on down the road.

3900x won't work on x370 it would require a motherboard upgrade. Highest your motherboard can go up to is 2700X.

So wait for the new ryzen 4xxx chips in the fall and upgrade to that and a new motherboard in one go.

Last edited:
3900x won't work on x370 it would require a motherboard upgrade. Highest your motherboard can go up to is 2700X.

So wait for the new ryzen 4xxx chips in the fall and upgrade to that and a new motherboard in one go.

It does work. Well it is on the supported cpu list. It will require a bios update but should work.

Looks like you are right, just doesn't show as supported in the motherboard spec page.

I'm not a gamer but isn't 90-12 fps pretty good? Is the play choppy?

You are likely in that situation where either upgrading the CPU or the GPU would cause the other component to likely be the bottleneck. Any substantial improvement in FPS would require a major upgrade in both components. The Rtx 2060 is not a substanital upgrade. The Rtx 2070Ti would be but I think that is beyond your budget.

However, a 3900x would be in more or less within your budget. Have you looked at the 3800x? The 3800x would give you almost the same increase in clock speed that the 3900x but is almost a $100 cheaper. Games will not benefit from the extra cores of the 3900x. My feeling is that the 1600x is getting long in the tooth.

Have you done any testing to determine whether your current CPU or your current GPU is the bottleneck?

Last edited:
His saving grace is 1080 is cpu more CPU bound so i would recommend the CPU upgrade.

Agreed. Southpawjoe, I think your money would be best spent at this point in time with upgrading to a 3800x. That would give you take you from 4.0 to 4.5 ghz turbo clock frequency, two more cores/four more threads and would stay within your budget.

What are you cooling your CPU with?

Last edited:
Agreed. Southpawjoe, I think your money would be best spent at this point in time with upgrading to a 3800x. That would give you take you from 4.0 to 4.5 ghz turbo clock frequency, two more cores/four more threads and would stay within your budget.

What are you cooling your CPU with?

Good call!! With the saved money I would then get the 3800x and 32 gigs of 3200 ddr4 (i have 16g of 3000). Not that going from 3000 to 3200 is a major deal but the extra 16g is ideal and I believe ryzen chips get a bump in performance from faster ram. Thank you for that though!

Good call!! With the saved money I would then get the 3800x and 32 gigs of 3200 ddr4 (i have 16g of 3000). Not that going from 3000 to 3200 is a major deal but the extra 16g is ideal and I believe ryzen chips get a bump in performance from faster ram. Thank you for that though!

Do you need 32gb of RAM?

You would see a better results going to 3600mhz and 16gb of ram if you are upgrading memory anyways.

Do you need 32gb of RAM?

You would see a better results going to 3600mhz and 16gb of ram if you are upgrading memory anyways.

Hmm I suppose if I tried to overclock the ram to get to 3600mhz, because according to the Asus website:

"4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory"

Not sure if that motherboard would support 3600mhz, thats why I chose 3200mhz. I'm assuming you mean overclocking 3200mhz to 3600mhz?

Right, I forgot you were still running x370. Not sure how high those boards can run memory. 3600mhz is what you should be aiming for though since that is the sweet spot for ryzen 3000 chips.

Right, I forgot you were still running x370. Not sure how high those boards can run memory. 3600mhz is what you should be aiming for though since that is the sweet spot for ryzen 3000 chips.

The more I read into it the more i'm seeing the same thing. Every review pretty much says the same thing (at least the ones that I saw). The 3700x is better money wise instead of the 3800x. It's like im better off going for:

Ryzen 3700x
DDR4 3600mhz ram
x570 mobo (to support above ram)

And the kicker I would spend about $100 more, but more importantly the future proofing with the newer mobo. Any thoughts?

Don't worry about the ram, you'll see maybe 1% FPS boost.

What are you trying to achieve? Higher FPS? Increasing settings / details? What monitor are you using? A gsync/freesync monitor and higher quality panel might give you more improvement to your experience.

The 1600 is in a spot where it can hold back some games, but it is highly dependent on the title. I agree with what h as been said about cores, and I believe the 3700x is the sweet spot for gaming right now. I think it would be a great improvement to your system, but I don't know if it's necessary at this time. That said if you're going for a new platform, 10600k and z490 will be faster for pure FPS/gaming, and the prices are comparable. All in all though, unless you're in a specific situation where your CPU is holding you back from some specific goals, I would not advise an upgrade.

Intel has been forced by competition to lower prices and do some interesting things (shaving down dies to improve thermals), but big picture things are stagnating for them. AMDs next gen is promising but it's just that, a promise. Rather than upgrade a platform in anticipation of a CPU that has not been released, I would suggest waiting for B550 and 4000 series release first.

In summary my advice is to wait, or do at least do some testing to see which component is holding your FPS rn as well as examining your goals. If you're using a cheap monitor, my advice is to consider upgrading that. For a new platform now my advice is Intel, but for a new platform my real advice is to wait unless there are problems with your current build. If you're hitting some kind of CPU limit in games that's impacting your experience, the 3700x can be a (nearly) drop in solution.

Don't worry about the ram, you'll see maybe 1% FPS boost.

What are you trying to achieve? Higher FPS? Increasing settings / details? What monitor are you using? A gsync/freesync monitor and higher quality panel might give you more improvement to your experience.

The 1600 is in a spot where it can hold back some games, but it is highly dependent on the title. I agree with what h as been said about cores, and I believe the 3700x is the sweet spot for gaming right now. I think it would be a great improvement to your system, but I don't know if it's necessary at this time. That said if you're going for a new platform, 10600k and z490 will be faster for pure FPS/gaming, and the prices are comparable. All in all though, unless you're in a specific situation where your CPU is holding you back from some specific goals, I would not advise an upgrade.

Intel has been forced by competition to lower prices and do some interesting things (shaving down dies to improve thermals), but big picture things are stagnating for them. AMDs next gen is promising but it's just that, a promise. Rather than upgrade a platform in anticipation of a CPU that has not been released, I would suggest waiting for B550 and 4000 series release first.

In summary my advice is to wait, or do at least do some testing to see which component is holding your FPS rn as well as examining your goals. If you're using a cheap monitor, my advice is to consider upgrading that. For a new platform now my advice is Intel, but for a new platform my real advice is to wait unless there are problems with your current build. If you're hitting some kind of CPU limit in games that's impacting your experience, the 3700x can be a (nearly) drop in solution.

I'm currently using an Asus 27 144hz 1ms 1080p monitor. I guess I just miss having a constant 144 fps and how smooth of the gameplay is when you can achieve that. In BF3/BF4 I was at 144 fps solid with a lesser rig but in BF5 and in this CoD MW Warzone mode its anywhere from 90 to 120ish. So i'm just kinda looking for something I can upgrade now that can still be used later as a combo, ie newew mobo, cpu or video card.

Can't really do a full new rig atm so was just looking for something that I could get now that would be an upgrade now, as well as something I can build around for later. But yea as of right now in CoD i'm usually sitting around 90-120ish which isn't bad, but more is always better!

Gotcha, so you want to pin 144fps. Did you have any gsync on that monitor? It sounds like a nice panel, abut I still think sync would be a nice upgrade.

I bet the 3700x would help. You have to consider the 3800x and if $50 is worth 100MHz to you. Don't be fooled about options like PBO and increasing the boost frequency. There's not much you can do to OC or increase that. Let's not guess though at what is holding you back. In order to test you can either look at the GPU usage after gaming, or use an On Screen Display (OSD) while gaming. You won't see CPU usage at 100% unless you find a game to use 6c/12t, so you just need to look for GPU usage to be >95%. If GPU usage fluctuates a lot or stays below 95%, then CPU is the limiting factor.

Gotcha, so you want to pin 144fps. Did you have any gsync on that monitor? It sounds like a nice panel, abut I still think sync would be a nice upgrade.

I bet the 3700x would help. You have to consider the 3800x and if $50 is worth 100MHz to you. Don't be fooled about options like PBO and increasing the boost frequency. There's not much you can do to OC or increase that. Let's not guess though at what is holding you back. In order to test you can either look at the GPU usage after gaming, or use an On Screen Display (OSD) while gaming. You won't see CPU usage at 100% unless you find a game to use 6c/12t, so you just need to look for GPU usage to be >95%. If GPU usage fluctuates a lot or stays below 95%, then CPU is the limiting factor.

My gpu usage while playing cod is pretty much tapped at 95%+ the entire time. Only reason I was aiming at getting a newer video card was because of the age of the gtx titan x, its dam old haha.

Back