• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1700 OC help on an Asrock x370 Tiachi.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bearmund

Hi there, I have an asrock tiachi and the ryzen7 1700. I am wanting to overclock this to at least 3.8 but I would not know the first thing about properly overclocking.
With the latest bios update of 4.6 there have been some extra options to select that are just confusing me.

Can anyone help me understand what it is I need to change in order to overclock.

I have set it to 3800.

Then I come to 2 different options

CPU core speed.

Then

further down there is Vcore.

Now watching multiple videos online about overclocking this cpu, some people edit both some people edit only one...
So I am completely confused at what to do.

Also when I had done my attempt to overclock to 3.8 at 1.3 ( i had put 1.3v in both options * please correct me if i'm wrong) It seemed to be fine.

I don't have Cinebench so i could not test it :( But opening up CPU-Z i was noticing that it was not at a constant 3.8 it was dropping as low as 1.5 Is this normal. Is that Idling ? Please help a lost puppy.

All you need is CPU voltage and CPU clock. I don't have ASRock Taichi but on Gaming ITX you have to switch from auto to manual mode and then set CPU clock to what you want. For 4GHz I recommend to start at 1.4V and if everything is stable then lower the voltage.
In most cases it's like 3.7-3.8GHz 1.25-1.3V and higher step is at 3.95GHz+ so 4.0-4.05GHz can be even 1.45V. All depends on your luck. I just sold 1700X but it wasn't any special. On water could make max 4.05GHz.

When power saving options are enabled then CPU will balance load and reduce clock/voltage when it's not required. It's generally described as C states and some additional options like cool and quiet or whatever else has AMD.

Cinebench is free, just google it and you will find downloads for R11.5 and R15. Can also use Prime95 or other software that is free.

Here is our Ryzen guide - http://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-overclocking-guide/ Read it and probably you will find some more tips.
You can also take screenshots using F12 key in BIOS. It's sometimes says more than describing with your own words.

Thanks for the reply,
So CPU Vcore voltage, I would just leave on auto!?!?
Just the CPU voltage and the Clock speed would need changing.
And there is a setting i found in "Advanced" settings tab that mentioned the Cool and Quiet thing. Ill try and turn that off and see how it runs.
Another question, Would APU/PCIE Frequency need to be changed. ( with a basic understanding that would be for the Graphics card and or sound card) * I would not need to worry about that would I?

When I had overclocked to 3.8 with my novice settings overclocked to 1.3. It was stable* But on the next day's cold boot, I would get 4 power cycle's then bios was reset to defaults. Then Booting into OS then restarting the system the bios would revert to Overclocked settings.
I'm thinking that this is more of an asrock problem.

Ill get back to you on how the cinebench fairs.

I would start around 1.35v and test with Prime95 for at least 25 min if stable your good if you get any errors bump your CPU voltage a bit and try again. Keep an eye on your temps like it says in the OC Guide linked earlier. Once you get to where you are happy with your OC test longer with Prime verify stability at least 2 hours. Everything is nicely laid out in that OC guide for you just follow along.

No, don't leave your CPU vcore on auto. Adjust it upward manually to keep the system stable as you raise the CPU speed. But don't increase it until you encounter instability.

Stress test the stability of the overclock with Prime95 blend "just stress testing" option. If you can pass the test for 20 minutes then you are tentatively stable. After you think you have reached the max overclock (which will likely be betwee 3.8 and 4.0 ghz) then run a longer Prime95 test (2 hr.) to confirm stability. Passing Cinebench will not demonstrate true stability. Cinebench is not a stress tester per se.

When you stress test have the Ryzenmaster software open to monitor temperatures. Increasing vcore will increase CPU core temperatures and you want to limit that to around 85c I think.

What are you cooling the CPU with? Please give us more information about your hardware? Make model and speed of memory? Video card? PSU? Case?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,
So CPU Vcore voltage, I would just leave on auto!?!?
Just the CPU voltage and the Clock speed would need changing.
And there is a setting i found in "Advanced" settings tab that mentioned the Cool and Quiet thing. Ill try and turn that off and see how it runs.
Another question, Would APU/PCIE Frequency need to be changed. ( with a basic understanding that would be for the Graphics card and or sound card) * I would not need to worry about that would I?

When I had overclocked to 3.8 with my novice settings overclocked to 1.3. It was stable* But on the next day's cold boot, I would get 4 power cycle's then bios was reset to defaults. Then Booting into OS then restarting the system the bios would revert to Overclocked settings.
I'm thinking that this is more of an asrock problem.

Ill get back to you on how the cinebench fairs.

That multi booting when cold was pretty common, I thought it was mostly ironed out with new BIOS. Have you updated your BIOS?

With the latest bios update of 4.6 there have been some extra options to select that are just confusing me.

Yes Latest Updated bios. Huh so its a common issue. Seems they have yet to fix it. Thought it was some unstable settings I had done.

That's funny I never had that issue when I used the Tiachi ..... ram issue?

You got it bassnut, likely an issue with the ram if that's the newest BIOS for the board. The Ryzen platform can be a bit fussy with ram and some kits (the list is much smaller now) just won't work properly with out a lot of manual manipulation.
Your BIOS should have a "Re-Try" setting for boot. That's why it'll try multiple times before it boots. If it's booting up at your set OC/RAm speed then you're close but may need a bit of tweaking.

My system is totally fine without Cpu Overclocking. The Ram is stable at Xmp profile with no tweaking, timings are set to what they are recommended to be.

hi all . for a good OC you might need to set Cpu loadline Calibration control to Mode 4 or mode 3
in MSI mobos
mode 4 = normal
mode 3 = high
mode 1 = extreme

Back