• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S.N.D.S Prescott ? Can it really be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReTiCuLeX

Well, I was playing Final Fantasy XI for 3hours, then all of a sudden my pc froze. I hit the reset button, well that didn't work; at this point I powerd down the PC, turned it back on, still nothing. After 5mins, I hit the PSU button off, then on, turned it back on still nada. I tried reseting the CMOS via jumper, still nothing. Later on removed the heatsink, well the CPU was STUCK to the HSF when I removed it, not even allowing me to unbracket the CPU from the socket via the leaver. I removed the CPU from the HSF finally with some pressure, cleaned it up, threw some AS5 on and plugged it in. Well it's still not working, which brings me to believe 1.5375 Vcore @ 3.6Ghz on this prescott made it die =(. I ran it like this for about a week now. I also just purchased another motherboard, so this one is a brand new P4C800 Deluxe E.
What do you guys think, is it dead?

More likely the mobo fried. It could be the CPU I guess. That was a lot of voltage just for 3.6 gig.

Not to be random or nitt-picky, but the title says Prescott, yet your siggy says Northwood. Which is it?

Oh...sorry about your loss...*Lowers head*

This is exactly what I'm afraid of! My 3.20E (C0) gets upto 3.45Ghz 215FSB with default 1.3625Vcore but already needs close to 1.5Vcore at 3.6Ghz. So I'm leaving it at 215FSB 1:1 with tightest timings and GAT settings instead of risking blowing up my rig for 150Mhz more which won't matter much anyways...

This thread has got me wondering now. I run my 3.2E D0 @ 3.92Ghz using a Vcore that flactuates between 1.44-1.46V. You Guys think this is safe? Temps are not a concern.

IceCoolJay said:
This thread has got me wondering now. I run my 3.2E D0 @ 3.92Ghz using a Vcore that flactuates between 1.44-1.46V. You Guys think this is safe? Temps are not a concern.

Should be. That's a pretty low vcore for that high of an OC. What kind of cooling 'ya got?

i wouldnt run 1.53vcore with an asus mobo that fluctuates so badley,this can couse higher voltage to hit the cpu.
also on air thats rather high voltage.
i would suggest 1.5v max on air.
most ive run is 1.55v even with my prommy.

it doesnt seem the prescotts suffer from snds like the northwoods did but only time will tell.

that is wierd with all the voltage talks... Kinda not a prescott or a northwood but a 2.6 celeron p4 based and at 2.6 the voltage is default at 1.54 and on stock hsf is 30 idle and 34 gaming. I push it to 3.3 easily and with same voltage for about a month and nothing. Very strange, sorry to hear of the lose of a Pentium.

Been running 1.515V (1.48V actual) on my 3.0E for about 3 weeks now no problems as yet... however i've round that at voltages above 1.55V (actual) the CPU actually starts to get slower (even at the same clockspeed), SiSoft benchies start to drop rapidly... so it can't be doing the transistors any good at those high volts, I wouldn't go over 1.5V (actual) anyway!

dood, thats high voltage for 3.6 out of a 3.2e
im running a 3.0 on stock HS at 3.6 till i get my TEC.
you should set your ASUS probe to alert you if the temp of your mobo is passes 35c or CPU passes 58c just to stay on the safe side.

untitled.jpg

I really think it was just ur individual cpu... Guys at cpu database have gotten these results (all of which are impressive):

Guys at cpu database have gotten 4650 @ 1.61v (SL7B8) with Abit Ic7 max 3 with a vapo ls...

4320 @ 1.565 (SL7B8) with abit ic7 max 3, vapochill pe

4016 @ 1.46 (SL7B8) with gigabye, and watercooling (Tdx) 59C full load

3.2e can easily go to 4ghz. :clap:

hexa, a lot of ppl do 1.7 with their cpus and i wouldnt suggest it with any chip, but that ppl that do do it seem to be having no problems... Prescotts I would go 1.6 max and thats with some heavy duty wc or phase change. And the signal doesn't deteriorate that much so that they suck at benchmarks and stuff bro... That only happens if it isnt adequetly cooled. A 4ghz oc (with voltage ranging higher than 1.5)will kick a 3.8 ghz oc, or a 3.4 stock... Thats just obvious isn't it...

I've been running my 3.0E D0 at 1.6vcore for 3 weeks now. 1.63vcore actual, at idle and 1.50 under full load. It is about 98.9% stable at 3.75ghz because it might reboot once every few days at random. It has usually been during graphically intense moments, so I upped my agp to 1.7 but that didn't seem to make a difference. I'd lower it, but I really like the performance I get at this speed, and if it burns out then I'll just deal with that when the time comes. I've got 2 other p4's, a 2.8C and a 3.0C just lying around, so I alsways have a backup.

Back