• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S.N.D.S Prescott ? Can it really be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ive got a 3.0E C0 at stock vcore sitting at 3.6 on water. I run it every day, all night, and play games (Farcry) and its stable for days

According to Intel, absolute maximum Vcore for 90nm process is 1.55V. If you put more, you risk transistor damage.

Voltage fluctuations are normal as long as they are according do VRD-10 specs for Prescott:

Vcc(max) = VID - (Icc * 1.45 / 1000)

The higher the Amps, the lower the voltage must be.

VRD = Voltage Regulator Down
VID = Voltage Identification = Vcore at 0 Amps
Icc = current (Amps) draw
Vcc(max) = max. allowed static Vcore at that Icc (decreases lineary)

Petr said:
According to Intel, absolute maximum Vcore for 90nm process is 1.55V. If you put more, you risk transistor damage.

Voltage fluctuations are normal as long as they are according do VRD-10 specs for Prescott:

Vcc(max) = VID - (Icc * 1.45 / 1000)

The higher the Amps, the lower the voltage must be.

VRD = Voltage Regulator Down
VID = Voltage Identification = Vcore at 0 Amps
Icc = current (Amps) draw
Vcc(max) = max. allowed static Vcore at that Icc (decreases lineary)

Who knows, I might already have damage to my CPU, but right now it's running good. Live today, hope for tomorrow!

I doubt intel is going to tell ppl honestly how much voltage it is ok to pump thru a chip.... For northwoods i bet they same amt of voltage.

wfarid said:
I doubt intel is going to tell ppl honestly how much voltage it is ok to pump thru a chip.... For northwoods i bet they same amt of voltage.

the northwood can handle a bit more voltage than a prescott....

Failure of a CPU is possible at any MHz speed and any core input voltage. The tolerance for manufacturer's screwups goes down as voltage and cycles/second increase, and the thermal tolerance also decreases greatly with volts core increase.

Temperatures are always a concern when overclocking.

Captain Safety out :p

Agreed, why would intel tell us how much voltage we can put through our cpu's. I suppose it doesn't matter, since -for the most part- we already know. Northwoods around 1.7v (somewhat safely), and prescott's, isn't it a bit lower? Temps are a big thing with overclocking, but can't a cpu still fail when you have a 1.8vcore, but your temps are 40-50? The highest I see myself taking it is maybe 1.65v or so.

Captain Newbie said:
Failure of a CPU is possible at any MHz speed and any core input voltage. The tolerance for manufacturer's screwups goes down as voltage and cycles/second increase, and the thermal tolerance also decreases greatly with volts core increase.

Temperatures are always a concern when overclocking.

Captain Safety out :p

I totall agree with you captain safety, but what I was trying to say is that ON AVERAGE you can definitely push Intel's cpu's past the recommended voltages and frequencies. AND of course you have to take precautions before you do so (and even those precautions are not a 100% gaurentee that ur chip won't fry and the higher you clock and more volts you pump thru the higher the chances that your chip will fry), but on average you can push cpu's further than what is suggested by the manufacturer. I mean that's what overclocking is all about.

Back