• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sandisk extreme pro vs samsung 850 evo vs 850 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papi1248

which is better for my use, sandisk extreme pro 480gb or samsung evo 500gb or samsung 850 pro 512gb? Money isn't that real issue at the moment because i have around $200 to spend on ssd. i mainly game and surf on the web and i kind a plan on doing dual boot windows 10 and mac os, but haven't decided on that yet. I am gonna put a couple of games like skyrim and fallout 4 which i mod and other modded games. I surf the internet everyday. I want to get the best ssd so i dont regret the speed from cheaper ssd. Also i am not gonna spend the money on anything else cuz my mom will just take it away, either i spend all the whole money or the rest of the money i have to give back sadly. I am gonna get another 4tb hard drive even tho I have 2x 2tb hard drive which is 4tb in total side by side. I jump around games and dont finish them lol but its what I do so that's why i dont wanna delete games. I think I may have sata 2 but my motherboard says i may have sata 3 speed which is confusing. So what ssd do u guys recomend for me? I also heard I should stay away from tlc drives, but they are sort fixed up now so is it still bad?

samsung 850 evo 500 gb in amazon its $154, the samsung pro is $200 and the sandisk extreme pro is $190

I got my PC from HP.
My PC is called HP ENVY h8-1437c
This is my Computer Specs that I have right now in my PC:
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
GPU(graphic card): MSI Nvidia GTX 970 4G Gaming Edition
CPU: Intel core I5-3470 3.20 GHz 4 Cores
12GB of memory
Power Supply:Crosair cx 600
Resolution:1920x1080
2x 2TB hard drive

This is the link to my motherboard:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03517380

It looks like your motherboard has two 6 GB SATA ports (0-1) and four 3 GB SATA ports (2-5). I just bought that same Samsung EVO for Samsung's reliability and speed. Good warranty, too. The 850 Pro seems to have a tick faster read speeds from the specs. I would expect someone with more knowledge than me to pop in with any other advantages the Pro may have.

It looks like your motherboard has two 6 GB SATA ports (0-1) and four 3 GB SATA ports (2-5). I just bought that same Samsung EVO for Samsung's reliability and speed. Good warranty, too. The 850 Pro seems to have a tick faster read speeds from the specs. I would expect someone with more knowledge than me to pop in with any other advantages the Pro may have.

Thanks for your reply, so I have two sata ports with sata 3 speeds which is good and I feel relieved. On the other hand would I notice any difference in real world use if I get less expansive ssd like Kingston or some other brand in 960 gb form which in paper is not as fast as Samsung ego or pro but for the money I will get more space. But right now real world use speed is more important for me in sata ssd in the budget of $200 to $230. I am fine with 480 gn to 500gb but of course more space is better always. Also what about the whole issue of tic in Samsung Evo while the pro for Sandusky and Samsung uses Mlc which is suppose to be better.

No, you will not notice much if any real world speed difference between one SSD and another in the kinds of applications you list. There might be some small difference in boot up times and program loading times but not much. Reliability is another issue. Check out ADATA SSDs. But certainly, you can't go wrong with Samsung products, though they aren't the cheapest.

No, you will not notice much if any real world speed difference between one SSD and another in the kinds of applications you list. There might be some small difference in boot up times and program loading times but not much. Reliability is another issue. Check out ADATA SSDs. But certainly, you can't go wrong with Samsung products, though they aren't the cheapest.
So what ssd do u recommend me and also money isn't the issue I want to get the best ssd that I would notice in speed for my usage.

Biggest differences between them as I own all 3, is that the ExtremePro will keep it's speeds under heavy loads with the 850 Pro falling slightly behind, then the 850 Evo of course starting to slump when it comes to the heavy loads. Outside of encoding though, really they've all performed about the same IMO. If I was buying one for the money, the 850 Evo is a great drive, if I was just buying one most reliable for keeping speeds at heavy loads such as if you do a lot of video encoding, I'd get the SanDisk ExtremePro over the 850 Pro hands down. Really this comes down to simply if you want a standard consumer drive or a drive more catered towards professional users.

Back