• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scary google maps by ip address

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tested that, it got mine wrong by miles, said i was in the Isle of Man, when I'm in London

I tested that, it got mine wrong by miles, said i was in the Isle of Man, when I'm in London

You are properly behind 7 Boxxies then.

Any ISP worth a salt. Will shuffle IP's and protect customers within a certain degree.

Used to be, your ISP would supply you with a proxy (firewall.) Then it sort of became standard and transparent.

It helps the network and helps the customer. We usually hear it called DPI now. Which could go both ways. Either love it or hate it. Depending on what stance you take on it and how it effects you. In how it is deployed.

I've got you a 30 minutes drive from the center of London. I wouldn't want to name the town, but is that close?

I also have enablingwolf's pretty accurate, within 15 minutes of where he lives. (I've paid him a visit in the past)

I

I also have enablingwolf's pretty accurate, within 15 minutes of where he lives. (I've paid him a visit in the past)

It usually shows I am in Brunswick/Medina. Which is where my Node terminates to. If you looked deeper. I would end up in Akron. Or further North to the RR Plant, where the main RR backbone intersects.

My ISP did it's job then. Kept me a little protected, but not hide me.

Sometimes, it shows I am in North Royalton, other times all the way up in Clevland where it intersects with the Level1 backbone.

On my mobile. I assume it shows me in California now. I am on the sofa, 15 feet from my last post.

I've got you a 30 minutes drive from the center of London. I wouldn't want to name the town, but is that close?

If the town you mean is Harrow then its pretty close!

what site/program did you use to check, I would like to see for my self?

One of many:
http://www.ip2location.com/

Just look for geolocation in your favorite search engine. First hit in google is a wiki article about it. Third is the one link I gave you, and the one I use normally.
IMOG is probably asleep at this hour. So figured I would chime in and help ya out.

I had you in Wembley, so thats about 10 minutes from you. I don't want to give away the particular sites I use however, but they are the same ones anyone can find around. :thup:

just tried this, it found my street!! http://html5demos.com/geo

Got my house, but someone elses car is in the drive. :)

You are properly behind 7 Boxxies then.

Any ISP worth a salt. Will shuffle IP's and protect customers within a certain degree.

Used to be, your ISP would supply you with a proxy (firewall.) Then it sort of became standard and transparent.

It helps the network and helps the customer. We usually hear it called DPI now. Which could go both ways. Either love it or hate it. Depending on what stance you take on it and how it effects you. In how it is deployed.

I think you mean SPI. DPI and SPI operate similarly, but they are not the same thing. See http://www.zen.co.uk/enterprise/bro...dband/stateful-vs-deep-packet-inspection.aspx (of course, they promote DPI; they sell hardware for it). SPI just checks for existing connections. DPI potentially allows your ISP to "mine" data out of every non-encrypted packet you send just as Facebook "mines" data about you by tracking what you and your friends "like".

I think you mean SPI. DPI and SPI operate similarly, but they are not the same thing. See http://www.zen.co.uk/enterprise/bro...dband/stateful-vs-deep-packet-inspection.aspx (of course, they promote DPI; they sell hardware for it). SPI just checks for existing connections. DPI potentially allows your ISP to "mine" data out of every non-encrypted packet you send just as Facebook "mines" data about you by tracking what you and your friends "like".

Interesting stuff. I have heard of SPI before but haven't worked with it very much yet. DPI is SPI but with some IPS features. Cool! :clap:

Back