• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

seperate IPS threw router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BowerR64

We use cable and we have 4 IPs assigned to the cable modem but we are only using 1 threw the router.

Can i program each port to use a different IP? can you do that with a router?

Hmmmm, put the router in bridge mode and then either dl PPPoE software (raspppoe) or use the built in XP client on each of the computers then use your log in name. Each computer will get their own WAN IP.

BowerR64 said:
We use cable and we have 4 IPs assigned to the cable modem but we are only using 1 threw the router.

Do you need 4 public IP's? What are you trying to accomplish?

There are a few solutions to this...
You can purchase a router that can handle multiple external IP's on one interface (netopia R910, R9100 and 3389 - all around 150-200 USD) and setup manual nat mapping, or use automatic nat and setup port forwarding for the 4 public ip's to the 4 internal computers...

OR

You could get 4 cheap linksys routers to use all 4 public ip's...

OR

You could use a switch instead of your router and have all PC's connect directly to the internet using a public IP...

or

let us know what you want to do, and we can tell you how to do it...

NiTrO bOiE said:
Hmmmm, put the router in bridge mode and then either dl PPPoE software (raspppoe) or use the built in XP client on each of the computers then use your log in name. Each computer will get their own WAN IP.

Typically cable modems do not use PPPoE. That is DSL technology...

I've dealt with a Netopia "router" before, it was a big pain in the neck. So much I wish I could have replaced it with a real computer altogether, but I couldn't because it was also the dsl modem at this place.

My recommendation would be to either use a switch, or deploy a Linux or BSD box to use the 4 ips and firewall your lan.

XWRed1 said:
I've dealt with a Netopia "router" before, it was a big pain in the neck. So much I wish I could have replaced it with a real computer altogether, but I couldn't because it was also the dsl modem at this place.

My recommendation would be to either use a switch, or deploy a Linux or BSD box to use the 4 ips and firewall your lan.

I will agree, the netopia routers that are sent as dsl modems are a pain the the arse!
The normal ethernet routers are actually quite full featured and easy to use. Nothing is cheaper and more full featured than a Linux/BSD box :)

I use a linksys router can you set each port on the router to a different IP?

actualy one port from the router is going to a switch in my room so i guess i cant assign each machine in my room its own port can i?

Each port in the router an ip? No. Just set a static ip for each computer on the builtin switch, whats the big deal? Is dhcp a must?

I don't really see where using the other 3 IP address's really gives you any advantage anyway. The bandwidth is the same I'd imagine so you would'nt see any performance increase by using all four. Just use the one and let the router do the rest. More secure that way anyway.

BowerR64 said:

The reason for having a router is so that multiple machines can share 1 IP. If you have 4 IPs and 4 machines, you don't need a router. Most ISPs only give one IP. Therefore, to connect my 5 machines to the internet, I NEED the router.

I think that you should forget about the other 3 IPs. Having them does not help you out. If you really want to use all 4 IPs then this is what you will have to do:

Get rid of the router. Install a switch instead. Connect the modem to the switch VIA uplink port or null cable. Connect NO more than 4 computers to the switch. Each computer will ask for an IP from your ISP.

This setup limits you to four machines. Additionally, you have 4 points in which you are exposed to the internet. That means 4 different points that you have to secure each with its own firewall and such. The other option is to use a router. The router uses 1 IP and ALL (read more than 4 if you have them) of your machines can hide behind the router. Then you only have 1 point exposed to the internet to secure.

well the problem was we hadmore then 4 machines and when ever the cable line was reset some of the machines couldnt pull an ip becase the cable modem wasnt assigned enough IPs we went with the router so that we had a firewall and we could hook more then 4 machines to the cable modem. They wernt all being used at the same time but when each was turend on we wanted them to be able to connect without having problems.

I don't understand. The router should have DHCP abilities. Check the manual. The router will take an IP from your ISP. Then the router will assign IPs to ALL of your other machines. Each machine should then also be DHCP enabled. Each machine should get an IP of something like 192.168.0.* I just don't think that your router is setup correctly.

Back