• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seriously, is EA even trying any more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I downloaded the demo for the EA NHL game and the 2Ksports NHL game and it was an AMAZING difference, like night and day. The EA game's look and presentation was pathetic next to the 2Ksports game. Pair that with how much better MLB 2k6 is than "The Show", how HORRIBLE NBA Live 06 was even though NBA 2K6 was just mediocre and finally how ESPN 2K5 is still 10x the game Madden is even 2 years later and you have to wonder if EA is even trying any more, if their developers know anything about sports, if they think that their name alone is enough to sell inferior games (sadly it is) and finally if they even give a damn. 2Ksports act like they care, like they know sports and actually appear to be trying to develop a great product every year. I hope people start getting past the EA name and look at and play the 2Ksports games so that they'll realize how muich better they are and either force EA out of the sports-game business or make them at least try to make good sports games again.

I havent played the NHL or NBA games, but I did play "The Show" and MLB 2k6. 2k6 was one of the worst baseball games I've ever played, I wouldn't even put the two in the same league. To each his own I guess.

Well, for games like Madden, I'm pretty sure EA has an exclusive deal with the NFL, so a series like 2ksports will not be able to use actual NFL teams and players. For a lot of people, I think that's the fun of it, which at least partially explains the high sales.

I don't like sports video games either way :D

And we all knew EA is pretty screwed up.

EA's goal is to extract as much money out of its man-hours as possible. They take no pride in thier products, and will release a half-finished product early if they think it will improve the bottom line.

ea has released alot of major suxor stuff, like nba 2006...on the settings it says you can hold the normal keys and the action button for freestyle , but it doesnt work. also if you wanna do ally oops you need a controller...same for the freestyle stuff...the only way ea is coming on my comp anymore is the easy way(yall know what i mean ^^)

I realy wish the NFL had done what the MLB did to EA when EA asked for exclusive rights, they essentialy told them to go to hell :D

But yeah, its getting realy pathetic, all the 2k series games are WAY better, and have been for years.

Resembles a modded P180. Anyone see the connection? I probably wouldn't buy one, but I definitly like it. Glad to see Antec is giving people options.

Bios24 said:
Resembles a modded P180. Anyone see the connection? I probably wouldn't buy one, but I definitly like it. Glad to see Antec is giving people options.

Speakin ofbaseball, that was from waaaaaaaaaay out in left field. Either that or he was referring to some of the stupid off-topic commentary from the EA announers, when there's actually any commentary at all (rare).

Vipasnipa said:
EA's goal is to extract as much money out of its man-hours as possible.

Quoted for stupendous truth. Hence the ingame advertising. The impression I got from NFS: Most Wanted was that they didn't want to provide a variety of content, they just wanted to give AS MUCH of it as possible in a repetitive manner. As though 'lots of the same' = a good game.

I do despise EA, and I cry a little when a developer I like starts working for them.

"The Show" is not made by EA! EA made the MVP baseball series and lost the MLB license to THQ to bid. THQ makes MLB Baseball and "The SHow" both of which are horrible and still get whomped on by MVP Baseball 2005. Madden is good I cant complain there. True EA does not always make killer games and they could improve in a lot of areas. But I really wish EA had the rights to continue to make MLB games on their MVP Baseball franchise. They had a real winner on their hands. I still play the game it is fantastically fun (for baseball fans who play games) :p

shard said:
I realy wish the NFL had done what the MLB did to EA when EA asked for exclusive rights, they essentialy told them to go to hell :D

But yeah, its getting realy pathetic, all the 2k series games are WAY better, and have been for years.

Actually you are wrong. MLB did go to an exclusive license and EA lost the bid to THQ. Who made horrible baseball games that are a step back from where EA was almost 2 years ago. EA hit a homerun with MVP baseball 2005. I really wish EA had won the rights to make Baseball games based on MLB teams, instead they are forced to make baseball games based on College teams, and you know what it is still better than THQ's baseball game... it just is not for PC...

my biggest problem with ea is the way they crap on pc gamers. madden 07 came out for pc looking identical to 06..... kind of lame to have a computer that could play anything ea could dream to throw at it atm and have them give us last years graphic engine when they have a new and better one. pretty pathetic. I understand that pc game sales is one of the smallest markets for their games and seeing how they dont have a single pc game to my knowledge that supports widescreen its obvious that theyre doing everything in their power to keep it that way.... :rolleyes:

hawtrawkr said:
my biggest problem with ea is the way they crap on pc gamers. madden 07 came out for pc looking identical to 06..... kind of lame to have a computer that could play anything ea could dream to throw at it atm and have them give us last years graphic engine when they have a new and better one. pretty pathetic. I understand that pc game sales is one of the smallest markets for their games and seeing how they dont have a single pc game to my knowledge that supports widescreen its obvious that theyre doing everything in their power to keep it that way.... :rolleyes:

Exactly! I just got NHL 07, and it freaking is the last gen version, yet I KNOW my computer can handle the next gen without even breaking a sweat.... stoopid EA!

PingSpike said:
Why would you try harder when everyone buys your product regardless of how bad you screw it up?

to keep people buying them in the future and not making threads like this one.

theres plenty of people who dont buy ea products anymore for some of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

hawtrawkr said:
to keep people buying them in the future and not making threads like this one.

theres plenty of people who dont buy ea products anymore for some of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

However, there are many who DO buy EA products still. Also, those folks are "encouraged" to buy the next version because multiplayer is discontinued for the older versions and making another server to go around EA is something that is not liked (and not legal either... me thinks).

However, there is a good side to this. I went into a store to buy a very cheap game and I got my wish. EA Sports, NFL 2004 (and I bought it in 2005) for $3. True, 2005 was not going to last for much longer, however the resale price of a used copy gives a clear indication of how much aged EA games are worth.

After playing that game I realized that EA does have some work to do to make a better game. Footballs going through a player's stomach is comedic and unexpected (and I hope to god it is fixed now). As for "there is nothing to update"... in the 2007 game they still messed up my local college's stadium (Youngstown State University) despite pictures now being on Wikipedia, the college's website, and other numerous areas. If it was the first year of this college being in the game, it is acceptable. However, the college has been in there multiple years now and since the game didn't recieve updates anywhere else... see what I mean?

Perhaps EA is telling us something... that games that release a new version every single year might be a bad thing to invest in... I dunno...

Back