• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seriously, is EA even trying any more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
gt24 said:
However, there are many who DO buy EA products still.

oh i know there are but if they keep puting out crap even the most diehard of sheep who continue to buy ea games will stop. theres already a couple companies out there who are gunning for EAs dominance in the sports genre of games alone.

gt24 said:
After playing that game I realized that EA does have some work to do to make a better game. Footballs going through a player's stomach is comedic and unexpected (and I hope to god it is fixed now). As for "there is nothing to update"... in the 2007 game they still messed up my local college's stadium (Youngstown State University) despite pictures now being on Wikipedia, the college's website, and other numerous areas. If it was the first year of this college being in the game, it is acceptable. However, the college has been in there multiple years now and since the game didn't recieve updates anywhere else... see what I mean?

agree completely with this as i can only wonder how many people stopped buying ea games for things like this or the lack of widescreen alone. it was one thing in like 2002 but no widescreen support in 06 is pretty lame and has been for a couple years now and i wouldnt be suprised to see the stadium look the same next year as it does in this years game...

one doesnt have to look far in EAs current and past lineup of games to see theyve not only dropped the ball on alot of things but dont even seem to mind in the least that its been dropped.

hawtrawkr said:
to keep people buying them in the future and not making threads like this one.

theres plenty of people who dont buy ea products anymore for some of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

That was more of a rhetorical question. :p

I agree it has turned plenty of people off, but it seems like the majority is content to just complain about their products and continue buying them. Thus, there is no reason for them to change.

I do agree that most of EA's games are pretty lame nowdays. Which is pretty pathetic since they where actually the ones that made some of the first real quality sports games. Madden rocks this year though imho and I am really enjoying it.

EA needs to learn the hard way. As long as small independent developers like Crytek and CDV keep making hits like far cry and codename panzers (dont bash me - i know im forgetting dozens of excellent games, just making an example!) i cant really be bothered with the franchise-monger called EA.

Welcome to the forum playswithsqurls! :beer:

The thing I don't like is how EA assimilates other companies. Westwood (Command and Conquer), the creators of Burnout (ummm...), and other companies (lack of knowledge) has been bought by EA and then that line of games suffers from decreasing quality and the original game designers are let go eventually.

For instance, Burnout 4 didn't have a single player race selection option like Burnout 3.... ? There was some other minor issue too... like randomly falling through the track into a blue abyss that, when your car resets, puts you hundreds of yards further back on the track...

It might have something to do with the fact that EA doesn't treat their employees well... at least they didn't in the past...

When you are a monopoly, you do not have to try (see also how Microsoft has not had an original idea within the last, I don't know...25 years...), and when you have growing pains in a company, you usually treat your employees crappily. (They still treat 'em bad, from what I'm told.) :(

Captain Newbie said:
When you are a monopoly, you do not have to try (see also how Microsoft has not had an original idea within the last, I don't know...25 years...), and when you have growing pains in a company, you usually treat your employees crappily. (They still treat 'em bad, from what I'm told.) :(

Huh? Microsoft has not had an original idea? Microsoft is one man? There is never an original idea in terms of software. Someone somewhere has implemented it. .NET took what java had and made it better. Java took what Redox had and made it better. IE took firefoxs tabs, firefox took operas tabs, opera took someone elses idea Why reinvent the wheel when you can reinnovate existing software and extract out the problems in them.

Last edited:
manbush said:
Huh? Microsoft has not had an original idea? Microsoft is one man? There is never an original idea in terms of software. Someone somewhere has implemented it. .NET took what java had and made it better. Java took what Redox had and made it better. IE took firefoxs tabs, firefox took operas tabs, opera took someone elses idea Why reinvent the wheel when you can reinnovate existing software and extract out the problems in them.

Microsoft saw no reason to invent/borrow/implement anybody else's ideas in the browser market (such as tabs) until they were being beaten over the head with a product that happened to have quite a few better features than Internet Explorer (Firefox being that product). Only when threatened did they bother to make any changes to the browser, to stay competitive. When Microsoft had no threats, they considered Internet Explorer for the most part finished and not deserving of any new features.

EA is doing something similar here. If there was a threat, I'm sure they would emulate and clone the benefits of the threat and spring for a few ideas of their own. However, without a threat, and with money still being made, they can keep their products mostly static and save some time and effort. After all, the product must be "perfect" if it is the undisputed leader (and yes, EA ignores any other reasons why there is a lack of competition).

So, what is moreso ment by "original ideas" is a company's desire to improve their product. If there is no need per say, the company can either continue to improve the product or leave it static. Many companies choose the static route which makes domination a painful thing for the end user.

Back